How do you tuck in a shoulder?

Ordos

Pre-pandemic I used to travel by plane every year. On one domestic flight I took in the Untied States in 2014, I heard a flight attendant explain to the passengers how narrow the isles were and so instructed everyone to tuck in their feet, knees elbows and shoulders. 

How exactly do you tuck in your shoulder? I suppose you can place your bum and torso in the very center of the seat as opposed to leaning outward/sideways. But what if somebody has wide shoulders? Was it taken for granted that wide shouldered people will be forgiven? I guess you can also lean on your side instead of having your back to the seat. But that just shows how inconsiderate of the passengers the airlines are!

In my opinion, this flight attendant did not fully think this through.

They expect you to hunch your shoulder points forward and round your back.  Like trying to get your elbows to meet at your navel.  Contort yourself painfully or pay for a wider seat!  

Besides, that’s the kind of hunched, servile position that airlines like to picture their customers anyway: cringing before them as you proffer your wads of cash.

Archived