Babylon 5 officially being rebooted

The Dragon Demands

That's sweet as hell. I wonder if this means it'll be more likely they'll be able to get more of the original actors to do voices? Which, sadly, at this point is not a lot of people.

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

That's sweet as hell. I wonder if this means it'll be more likely they'll be able to get more of the original actors to do voices? Which, sadly, at this point is not a lot of people.

JMS posted a photo with Boxleitner, and I believe he's indicated other cast members are involved.

Edited by Ran

I wonder if they're doing the Telepath War? It's the biggest missing piece of the original story arc, and it'd focus on Bill Mumy and Patricia Tallman, who are still with us, and it'd be fairly easy to bring in Boxleitner, Christian etc.

A lot of other stories they'd have to strain to explain why Delenn, G'Kar, Garibaldi etc aren't involved, but this one feels doable.

Apparently we know it's acronymed B5: TRH, and JMS has said the debut will be at Comic-con this year, so it has a 2023 release date. Guess it's direct to streaming.

Give he scratched out the subtitle in the picture of the script, it looks like it can't be more than maybe 13 characters, including spaces.

The plus a space leaves maybe 9 characters, including an additional space. To plus space would leave 10 characters, including a space. Not a lot of room.

Checking the JMSNews forum, someone back in February had asked JMS how many Zathras's there were several months ago, and he said that in six months that would be a much more entertaining question than they might expect. So it seems Zathras is a feature of the animated movie, and so presumably the Great Machine as well. 

Additional little bit from JMS about the music, unfortunately Christopher Franke won't be doing it:

I'd called Chris about it but he's essentially retired and hasn't done any film/tv scoring since B5...he's doing one long term project in Germany, but that's all he has the bandwidth for. That said, the music in this thing is *gorgeous*.

BOOM today:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/babylon-5-the-road-home-voice-cast-unveiled-1235483312

‘Babylon 5: The Road Home’ Voice Cast Unveiled

Babylon 5: The Road Home will continue the story he started in the 1990s, with the log line stating, “Travel across the galaxy with John Sheridan as he unexpectedly finds himself transported through multiple timelines and alternate realities in a quest to find his way back home. Along the way he reunites with some familiar faces, while discovering cosmic new revelations about the history, purpose, and meaning of the Universe.”

Returning Babylon 5 castmembers include Bruce Boxleitner as John Sheridan, Claudia Christian as Susan Ivanova, Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari, Bill Mumy as Lennier, Tracy Scoggins as Elizabeth Lochley and Patricia Tallman as Lyta Alexander.

The voice cast also includes Paul Guyet as Zathras and Jeffery Sinclair, Anthony Hansen as Michael Garibaldi, Mara Junot as Reporter and Computer Voice, Phil LaMarr as Dr. Stephen Franklin, Piotr Michael as David Sheridan, Andrew Morgado as G’Kar and Rebecca Riedy as Delenn.

38 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

It will be hard hearing other voices in the place of cast members that have already passed.  :( 

I thought the same, but I think animation will help make a little distance and make it easier to swallow.

I would have liked more of an image showing characters, to get a sense of how it'll look overall, but the shot Babylon 5 over Epislon III is very nostalgic.

Very interested to hear from JMS how long this has been in the works, when it all started, etc.

I wonder what kind of storyline can bring together Sinclair and Zathras (who went to the past in season 3), Lockley (who came to the station on season five), and David Sheridan (who was born after the series ended).

I feel that maybe there's a little too many characters to do all of them justice. It'd be a pity that they go to the trouble to stretch the timelines and recast beloved characters, only to give a character a couple of minutes of spotlight.

Let's remain optimist, though.

Edited by The hairy bear

3 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I wonder what kind of storyline can bring together Sinclair and Zathras (who went to the past in season 3), Lockley (who came to the station on season five), David Sheridan (who was born after the series ended).

I feel that maybe there's a little too any characters to do all of them justice. It'd be a pity that they go to the trouble to stretch the timelines and recast beloved characters, only to give a character a couple of minutes of spotlight.

Let's remain optimist, though.

It might Zathras instead of Zathras

Just noticed one cast member not named: Jason Carter (Marcus). Apparently, he only learned about it when it was announced, and obviously was not asked to take part. Shame. The concept sounds like it could easily have fit him in, but maybe JMS didn't want to overstuff the project and the story wouldn't have Marcus as more than a cameo.

Fingers crossed for success on this, and more films.

Oh, also, JMS said that the animation style isn't "cartoony", it's aiming to be "realistic".

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Just noticed one cast member not named: Jason Carter (Marcus). Apparently, he only learned about it when it was announced, and obviously was not asked to take part. Shame. The concept sounds like it could easily have fit him in, but maybe JMS didn't want to overstuff the project and the story wouldn't have Marcus as more than a cameo.

Fingers crossed for success on this, and more films.

Oh, also, JMS said that the animation style isn't "cartoony", it's aiming to be "realistic".

So no “Cal Arts Style”?  Thank God.