Babylon 5 officially being rebooted

The Dragon Demands

I saw JMS hinting that there may be B5 news. I supposed it should not be a surprise that it's a reboot rather than a continuation, but.. the CW is not the place I'd have wanted it to be at. Yes, they are very genre-heavy, lots of Arrowverse shows and the like, but the budgets are constrained and the "house style" of most of their shows is aimed at a younger crowd. 

Still, great for JMS, and hope it works out!

33 minutes ago, Ran said:

I saw JMS hinting that there may be B5 news. I supposed it should not be a surprise that it's a reboot rather than a continuation, but.. the CW is not the place I'd have wanted it to be at. Yes, they are very genre-heavy, lots of Arrowverse shows and the like, but the budgets are constrained and the "house style" of most of their shows is aimed at a younger crowd.

The was my first thought as well, the typical CW style does not seem a good fit for B5 at all. I'm also now imagining all the ambassadors being played by young 20-somethings.

15 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Would this stream on HBO Max or Paramount+ ?

I'd assume HBO Max, just as Superman and Lois.

I was wondering at possible budget, and apparently S&L is suppose to be in the $3.5-$4.5 million range, per episode. Other shows The CW are less, but hard to imagine B5 being done for anything under $3M.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

The was my first thought as well, the typical CW style does not seem a good fit for B5 at all. I'm also now imagining all the ambassadors being played by young 20-somethings.

*squints at Superman & Lois* Well, there is still hope...

49 minutes ago, Ran said:

Still, great for JMS, and hope it works out!

The "house style" issue doesn't give me a lot of hope. However, the CW has had shows in the past that didn't really follow it; although in a lot of those cases I think the CW was airing shows produced elsewhere rather than being their own productions. Maybe Supernatural counts though? It might've started off in the teen/young adult drama space, but simply by virtue of lasting 15 seasons and having both the cast and the audience aging that changed.

The budget issue I'm less concerned about. So long as you're above a certain minimum, most shows end up looking about the same these days. The mega-budget shows are the obvious exception, and I'd be thrilled to see what a $15 million/episode B5 show looks like, but that's just not in the cards.

Just now, The Dragon Demands said:

Think they’ll get Neil Gaiman back?

He's mighty busy these days, but also very prolific, so ... not the first season, I expect, but I suppose JMS might invite him down the road. He's one of the contributors to The Last Dangerous Visions.

Oddly I'm in the middle of a B5 rewatch right now. Not sure if this can significantly improve on the original. Sure, there was some awkward filler, particularly early on, and the budget was tiny even by 90ies standards, but the things that made the show great are still damn good. I have a hard time imagining any two actors repeating Jurasik's and Katsulas' performances and dynamic.

On the other hand, given that none of the spin-offs panned out it seems as good an idea as anything if one is set on creating more B5.

It's an interesting idea. I'm not too fussed about the CW, since I think a high budget would not work to B5's advantage and with modern effects, $4 million an episode is plenty (the original started at $650,000 per episode and apparently never topped $1 million, which even in 1998 was minuscule).

The key points would be the casting and the number of episodes per season. I've always had issues with the idea of a 10-episode-per-season version of B5, because I think the original expertly made use of its long seasons for character and worldbuilding; Seasons 1 and 5 can easily be cut down, but Seasons 2, 3 and 4 are much tougher to compress. A CW B5 could be 13-17 episodes (or even 20) episodes a season, which helps with that issue.

A reboot I also think was inevitable. JMS himself said the cast had suffered such an attrition rate that they would never be able to do any kind of new story with so many key characters missing, and he would not want to recast so many roles within the same continuity.

As for the "hot young cast" thin, I think there is some scope for that. Claudia Christian was the same age in Season 1 of B5 that Marie Avgeropoulos was in the first season of The 100, and Richard Biggs was only a few years older (and Straczynski notes getting appreciative letters from fans whenever Biggs had to do a scene without a shirt on). The 100 actually had a relatively old "young" cast and it had quite a few actors of an older generation as well.

Edited by Werthead

My initial reaction: yay, reboot with JMS! Let's go! Then I saw CW. Oof

Yes Superman & Lois was a step above all the other Arrowverse shows, but while its look was better, it wasn't exceptional, and its writing was everywhere between great and typical CW shlock. But then again, JMS is at the helm, and Warner Bros. might throw enough money at it to give it a nice look.

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Would this stream on HBO Max or Paramount+ ?

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I'd assume HBO Max, just as Superman and Lois.

I was wondering at possible budget, and apparently S&L is suppose to be in the $3.5-$4.5 million range, per episode. Other shows The CW are less, but hard to imagine B5 being done for anything under $3M.

In the US, the CW has its own streaming app which offers all the shows for free the next day after air. Superman & Lois streamed on HBO Max a little later. I don't know if this reboot will get the same treatment.