How did Ned find Lyanna after Robert's rebelion?

Odej

After the Sack of King's Landing Ned and Robert had a fight 'cause of the brutal murdered of Rhaegar's wife and children, so Ned leave the capital and go looking for Lyanna. How did he find her? She could be anywhere and she was in a tower in the middle of nothing in Dorne. Does he just go asking around until he find someone who had see something in somewhere the could be a sixteen old missing girl? How many people could tell him where she was?

Just now, Frey family reunion said:

No, Ned left King's Landing to "fight the last battles of the war alone in the south."

Ned never once thinks about searching for Lyanna.

That raises more questions, then. When did he start looking for Lyanna? What triggered his decision? How did he find out where she was? Why did he only take five men with him? Why was it those five in particular? What was the story he gave when other people asked him where he'd gone and what had happened?

Just now, James Steller said:

That raises more questions, then. When did he start looking for Lyanna? What triggered his decision? How did he find out where she was? Why did he only take five men with him? Why was it those five in particular? What was the story he gave when other people asked him where he'd gone and what had happened?

You're assuming that his trip to the tower of joy was to locate/free Lyanna.  It's kind of an assumption the readers are making at this point.  Because only taking 6 people with him is passing strange for an attempt to free Lyanna.  Even stranger is that all 6 men that he took with him were people who were either very loyal to House Stark, or had some type of relationship with either Brandon or Lyanna.  

It's almost as if whatever he anticipated finding inside the tower, was something he wanted kept a closely held Stark secret.  Because it seems even Robert and Jon Arryn were kept in the dark of this operation.

5 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

You're assuming that his trip to the tower of joy was to locate/free Lyanna.  It's kind of an assumption the readers are making at this point.  Because only taking 6 people with him is passing strange for an attempt to free Lyanna.  Even stranger is that all 6 men that he took with him were people who were either very loyal to House Stark, or had some type of relationship with either Brandon or Lyanna.  

It's almost as if whatever he anticipated finding inside the tower, was something he wanted kept a closely held Stark secret.  Because it seems even Robert and Jon Arryn were kept in the dark of this operation.

Yes, six, my bad. 

And you raise another good point. I never actually considered the idea that Eddard might have been in on Lyanna's 'abduction', but I do find it unlikely given how much he loves Robert. Plus he seems quite haunted by what he found at the Tower, and by Lyanna begging him for his promise. Why would she need to beg him for that if she trusted him with her secret affair with Rhaegar?

7 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Yes, six, my bad. 

And you raise another good point. I never actually considered the idea that Eddard might have been in on Lyanna's 'abduction', but I do find it unlikely given how much he loves Robert. Plus he seems quite haunted by what he found at the Tower, and by Lyanna begging him for his promise. Why would she need to beg him for that if she trusted him with her secret affair with Rhaegar?

I'm not sure that Eddard was in on anything.  I'm not even sure that Lyanna had a secret affair with Rhaegar.  ETA: at least before her "abduction", especially since there appeared to be little secret about Rhaegar being involved in her disappearance. 

Logistically, I'm not even sure how they would have had a rendez vous after Harrenhal.  It just appears that Eddard knew ahead of time that something was in the tower that he wanted to keep a Stark secret.

1 minute ago, Frey family reunion said:

It just appears that Eddard knew ahead of time that something was in the tower that he wanted to keep a Stark secret.

19 minutes ago, James Steller said:

How did he find out where she was? 

If I had to guess, I'd say it was Ashara Dayne who told Ned that her brother was at the tower, or maybe even that Rhaegar and Lyanna were there too. Or maybe Ned guessed that if Arthur was there, he was there for a very important reason. And given that Lyanna's still missing, it wouldn't take a genius to put two and two together. Plus it gives a special reason for why Ashara killed herself; she helped get her brother killed.

1 minute ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

If I had to guess, I'd say it was Ashara Dayne who told Ned that her brother was at the tower, or maybe even that Rhaegar and Lyanna were there too. Or maybe Ned guessed that if Arthur was there, he was there for a very important reason. And given that Lyanna's still missing, it wouldn't take a genius to put two and two together. Plus it gives a special reason for why Ashara killed herself; she helped get her brother killed.

I mean, it's very possible.  After all, someone always talks.  Presumably though Eddard, knew more than just the fact that "Lyanna was in the tower".  I mean no reason to keep that a secret.  Everyone was already under the assumption that either Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna or that they ran off together.

I mean if Lyanna was in fact in the tower, then a likely scenario is that Eddard approached the tower already knowing that Lyanna was pregnant, or had recently been pregnant.

Or perhaps, Lyanna was never in the tower of joy.  After all, we've never gotten any confirmation from Eddard's memory that she was within the tower.  All we know is that Eddard has an old dream containing both the battle at the tower of joy and his final conversation with Lyanna.  Perhaps if Lyanna's child was the big secret, that's who he was looking to retrieve at the tower.

What's very odd is that Rhaegar would have kept Lyanna in the Prince's Pass.  Especially odd if Rhaegar was either cheating on Ellia with Lyanna or looking to replace Ellia with Lyanna.  After all, the Prince's Pass seems to be smack in House Manwoody's territory.  And I think there is decent evidence that House Manwoody was probably closely aligned with Ellia's very protective brother Oberyn.

I don't know. I can't figure out anything that happened with tower of joy and none of the explanations we have had so far seem complete or justifying for all that happened

on the one hand it seems that R and L were in love but they barely knew each other........ abduction doesn't seem that secretive and is downright foolish but we are told Rhaegar is dutiful and capable and smart!!..... Rhaegar cheats on his wife but keeps his mistress in his wife's territory!! ...... Ned goes to the ToJ easily enough but he wasn't suppose to have information.........and why did almost half the kingsgaurd stayed to protect prince's mistress/second wife when the prince himself , his wife , children and most importantly the KING were being slaughtered? 

I wish we finally get the story in WoW .. you know in case it comes out when we're still young and into it!

21 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

What's very odd is that Rhaegar would have kept Lyanna in the Prince's Pass.  Especially odd if Rhaegar was either cheating on Ellia with Lyanna or looking to replace Ellia with Lyanna.  After all, the Prince's Pass seems to be smack in House Manwoody's territory.  And I think there is decent evidence that House Manwoody was probably closely aligned with Ellia's very protective brother Oberyn.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who always thought Rhaegar's choice of hiding spot was a strange one, especially if Lyanna was with him. Even if you set aside the sexual liberation of Dornish culture, Rhaegar is hiding out in Dorne while his wife and children are back in King's Landing, being held hostage by Rhaegar's crazy dad so Dorne fights for the crown. And if Rhaegar is hiding out there with Lyanna, willingly or not, it's even more despicable. And if Lyanna's there out of her own free will, she's potentially a despicable person too for knowingly creating a sh*tstorm and weathering it out in blissful isolation while her family is nearly destroyed over it.

But I'll admit, I didn't consider the idea that Lyanna *wasn't* at the Tower. But then where could she have been? And if she wasn't there, why were the Kingsguard still there? What were they doing at the Tower now that Rhaegar was gone? The only explanation that makes any sense is that a pregnant Lyanna is there, too bedridden to leave, and so Rhaegar pompously decided that his baby mama and the third dragon head needed three of the best Kingsguard there to protect them both.

But I'll admit, I didn't consider the idea that Lyanna *wasn't* at the Tower. But then where could she have been? And if she wasn't there, why were the Kingsguard still there? What were they doing at the Tower now that Rhaegar was gone? The only explanation that makes any sense is that a pregnant Lyanna is there, too bedridden to leave, and so Rhaegar pompously decided that his baby mama and the third dragon head needed three of the best Kingsguard there to protect them both.

Assuming that there is some truth to the appendix that Lyanna died in the mountains of Dorne, than the only other place that she could have been that makes any sense is Starfall.  It's a remote location that would have been hard to access, and it's the home territory of Rhaegar's closest confidant, Arthur Dayne.  It might also explain why Eddard and Holwand would have made a fairly arduous journey through the Red Mountains, in enemy territory (especially if they had a baby in tow).  That they weren't heading back to give a sword to the Daynes, but they were heading back to bring Lyanna's child back to her.  

1 minute ago, Frey family reunion said:

It might also explain why Eddard and Holwand would have made a fairly arduous journey through the Red Mountains, in enemy territory (especially if they had a baby in tow).  That they weren't heading back to give a sword to the Daynes, but they were heading back to bring Lyanna's child back to her.  

You do realise how many questions THAT scenario raises, right?

You do realise how many questions THAT scenario raises, right?

Yes.  The main questions for me, is why would the Kingsguards have Lyanna's child at the tower, and why did everyone seem very resigned to the fact that it was going to be a battle to the death for Eddard to take the child from them.

11 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Yes.  The main questions for me, is why would the Kingsguards have Lyanna's child at the tower, and why did everyone seem very resigned to the fact that it was going to be a battle to the death for Eddard to take the child from them.

at a guess for the latter... To them ned was traitor who they could not hand their king over too- the last two heirs were murdered by his allies. they could not let a "traitor" "capture" the king.

4 minutes ago, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

at a guess for the latter... To them ned was traitor who they could not hand their king over too- the last two heirs were murdered by his allies. they could not let a "traitor" "capture" the king.

Maybe.  That's the knee jerk reaction to the scenario.  I'm just not sure if it really holds water.  

After all, the Kingsguards make it clear to Eddard that they had been good little Kingsguards throughout.  Even when they were absent from the Trident, and absent from King Aerys at the time of his death,.  They remained good loyal Kingsguards.  Which meant they were displaying loyalty, not just to Rhaegar but to King Aerys.

So if they were at the tower of joy, during the above events, then it appears that they were there with Aerys approval.  So the question is where would Aerys and Rhaegar's interest align, in such a manner that Rhaegar had the authorized use of Aerys' kingsguards, well before the death of Aerys, Rhaegar, and Rhaegar's heir Aegon?

1 hour ago, Frey family reunion said:

Assuming that there is some truth to the appendix that Lyanna died in the mountains of Dorne, than the only other place that she could have been that makes any sense is Starfall.  It's a remote location that would have been hard to access, and it's the home territory of Rhaegar's closest confidant, Arthur Dayne.  It might also explain why Eddard and Holwand would have made a fairly arduous journey through the Red Mountains, in enemy territory (especially if they had a baby in tow).  That they weren't heading back to give a sword to the Daynes, but they were heading back to bring Lyanna's child back to her.  

Both Lyanna and the baby should have been taken to Starfall, mainly the baby. If the whole point of the kidnnaping/scape was having the precious third child they should hide him in the safest place. Starfall is a castle while the Tower of Joy is, as far as we know, a lonely tower in the middle of nothing. It makes more sense protect the baby inside a castle that is territory of Rhaegar's closest confidant. In the tower he was very vulnerable.

By the end, I still believe both Lyanna and the baby were at the Tower, if the kingsguards were there the baby definitely was there too, but I think it was a stupid decision.

24 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

So if they were at the tower of joy, during the above events, then it appears that they were there with Aerys approval.  So the question is where would Aerys and Rhaegar's interest align, in such a manner that Rhaegar had the authorized use of Aerys' kingsguards, well before the death of Aerys, Rhaegar, and Rhaegar's heir Aegon?

that is the question. Unless all three already considered rheagar to be the true king I suppose. Whent and Dayne may be a given, they were already with him. Hightower? maybe him staying was the only way rhaegar would agree to go?

7 hours ago, Odej said:

After the Sack of King's Landing Ned and Robert had a fight 'cause of the brutal murdered of Rhaegar's wife and children, so Ned leave the capital and go looking for Lyanna. How did he find her? She could be anywhere and she was in a tower in the middle of nothing in Dorne. Does he just go asking around until he find someone who had see something in somewhere the could be a sixteen old missing girl? How many people could tell him where she was?

We don't know. Full stop. Anyone that says otherwise is guessing or lying.

Archived