Small, Worthy, Unworthy -- You Call It!

Zorral

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Loosely speaking pizza is a type of pie. 

Loosely speaking, this is the type of logic that got Trump elected.

This logic also means cakes are possibly pies based on prep and frosting/fruit, pineapples might be pie (has the word embedded in it and is edible), and most casseroles are types of pies, because of resemblance to shepherds pie.

9 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Loosely speaking, this is the type of logic that got Trump elected.

This logic also means cakes are possibly pies based on prep and frosting/fruit, pineapples might be pie (has the word embedded in it and is edible), and most casseroles are types of pies, because of resemblance to shepherds pie.

Seems a bit harsh. Generally speaking, a pizza meets the basic criteria of being a pie and is often referred to as one. 

I'll throw another one at you, is a hotdog in a bun a sandwich? 

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Seems a bit harsh. Generally speaking, a pizza meets the basic criteria of being a pie and is often referred to as one. 

I'll throw another one at you, is a hotdog in a bun a sandwich? 

:D It’s all in fun.  But pizza is it’s own damn thing, and I will die on that hill.  It’s not cooked in a wood-fired “pie” oven, and is more of a flatbread than anything in the pie family.

Personally, I feel like a hot dog is it’s own thing (leavened bun and a cased sausage), but can see how someone might refer to it as a sandwich- but does it not also resemble a taco? I’ll answer your question with another question - if you bend a pizza slice in half, does it then become a sandwich or a hot dog?

12 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

What are the basic criteria?  

We can start with the general definition, which would include pizza. And get the fuck outta here with cake being a pie.

10 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

:D It’s all in fun.  But pizza is it’s own damn thing, and I will die on that hill.  It’s not cooked in a wood-fired “pie” oven, and is more of a flatbread than anything in the pie family.

Personally, I feel like a hot dog is it’s own thing (leavened bun and a cased sausage), but can see how someone might refer to it as a sandwich- but does it not also resemble a taco? I’ll answer your question with another question - if you bend a pizza slice in half, does it then become a sandwich or a hot dog?

Now you're just being ridiculous. Next you're going to say there needs to be a distinction between chicken fingers and chicken tenders based on how old you are when you eat them.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

We can start with the general definition, which would include pizza. And get the fuck outta here with cake being a pie.

I’m going to say a general definition might need to be pulled from a reputable source and not your ass.  Hint: pastry crust versus a dough might be a good place to start.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Now you're just being ridiculous. Next you're going to say there needs to be a distinction between chicken fingers and chicken tenders based on how old you are when you eat them.

Nah.  These would be under the “breaded chicken” category, just colloquial names for the same thing.  “Pizza” is in the “pizza” category, doesn’t change into a pie because some simpleton calls it a pizza pie. 

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just trying to stay on track here, you first said that loosely speaking, a pizza is a pie.  Then you said "generally speaking, the pizza meets the criteria of a pie", then when I asked what these criteria are you said "we can start with the general definition, which would include a pizza". 

Help us out here, dude!

What makes a pie a pie?

15 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

Just trying to stay on track here, you first said that loosely speaking, a pizza is a pie.  Then you said "generally speaking, the pizza meets the criteria of a pie", then when I asked what these criteria are you said "we can start with the general definition, which would include a pizza". 

Help us out here, dude!

What makes a pie a pie?

Well for one thing, a pie is made out of pastry dough and baked, usually with a top and bottom crust, but there are a number of pies without top crusts. They can be sweet or savory.

Pizza is made with a bread dough, not a pastry dough.

58 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

I’m going to say a general definition might need to be pulled from a reputable source and not your ass.  Hint: pastry crust versus a dough might be a good place to start.

39 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

Help us out here, dude!

What makes a pie a pie?

@Fragile Bird mentioned the strictest distinction, but at the end of the day it's a dough based baked good that serves to deliver fruit, veggies and/or meat. A pizza is just that, so if people want to call it a pie, I'm fine with that. 

“Pizza” is in the “pizza” category, doesn’t change into a pie because some simpleton calls it a pizza pie. 

Way to just casually sideswipe millions of people. And the food groups bigotry is just dripping off of your fingers. :P

55 minutes ago, The Mance said:

What about cheesecake? 

Now you've gone and done it...

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Way to just casually sideswipe millions of people. And the food groups bigotry is just dripping off of your fingers. :P

You’re out of your element, Donnie.  

I’m going to retract my statement - but the millions you mention do not literally believe that pizza is a subcategory of pie, are using it as a nickname and are not simpletons.

I also do not believe that people who call automobiles “whips” believe that their vehicles are literally braided leather cords. But if they went to a pizzeria and asked where their coconut cream and potpies are, or try to get a slice of pepperoni at a pastry shop, or even claim in public that pizza is a pie, then that label might apply.

22 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

I’m going to retract my statement - but the millions you mention do not literally believe that pizza is a subcategory of pie, are using it as a nickname and are not simpletons.

Who do you think you are to say what these people do or don't believe?

I also do not believe that people who call automobiles “whips” believe that their vehicles are literally braided leather cords. 

Fitting this thread, "whip" was actually the original name of the steering wheel in cars. 

But if they went to a pizzeria and asked where their coconut cream and potpies are, or try to get a slice of pepperoni at a pastry shop, or even claim in public that pizza is a pie, then that label might apply.

It's almost 2022 baby. Various themed places serve all kinds of non-traditional foods. This isn't the 1950's anymore where a burger and shake joint literally only served burgers, shakes, fries and racism. Get with the times and live a little. 

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You do know it’s ok to admit that pizza is not a pie, right?  Because your non-responses indicate you don’t.  Provide definition and how said pie fits beyond your opinion and one specific colloquial use with supporting facts - or just move on, knowing you were wrong.

I’ll also ask you how the fuck using a veiled accusation of racism fits in with the silliness here.

I'm debating what to do.  I only see two options

1) to eat a cake and tell everyone it's a pie.  like I'm going to call everyone I know and say "this is a pie and I'm eating it" as I eat the pie (cake).  I'm going to follow up with pics.

2) get banned from the board for getting into a high-stakes, serious tangent in the thread for small, unworthy things.  

15 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

1) to eat a cake and tell everyone it's a pie.  like I'm going to call everyone I know and say "this is a pie and I'm eating it" as I eat the pie (cake).  I'm going to follow up with pics

I think we may have stumbled upon a solution to the old 'have cake' and also 'eat cake' conundrum. 

21 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Calling it pie does not change it from a cake to a pie

Not even if...

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

millions of people

..call it a pie?

Archived