Small, Worthy, Unworthy -- You Call It!

Zorral

1 hour ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

You do know it’s ok to admit that pizza is not a pie, right?  Because your non-responses indicate you don’t.  Provide definition and how said pie fits beyond your opinion and one specific colloquial use with supporting facts - or just move on, knowing you were wrong.

My argument has always been it's ambiguous, and if you want to call a pizza a pie you can. There's more than enough there to make the case. And to say it's one specific colloquial ignores how a lot of people call it a pizza pie. I don't have to admit I'm wrong here because I simply am not. 

I’ll also ask you how the fuck using a veiled accusation of racism fits in with the silliness here.

Because the food has been anthropomorphized! And it's a god damn joke, one which should seem obvious. JFC.

1 hour ago, The Mance said:

So what I'm hearing here is you conceding that some cakes are, in fact, pies.

Maybe? Cheesecake does have cake in its name, but it also does have pie like qualities. I'll let the individual identify it how they want to, much like I'd extend the same to pizza.

Y’all, a pizza is a pizza and a pie is a pie. And yes it’s 2021, so if that gives you happiness, you can claim that a pizza is a pie or a sandwich or a vegetable. But a pizza is a pizza, not a pie, and the reason is one word: yeast. If anything, a pizza is a cinnamon roll or a hot cross bun. :dunno: 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't know what's happening here but i know I don't like it. 

From what I can gather, apparently the definition of pie is as irrational as the definition of pi.

19 hours ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

:D It’s all in fun.  But pizza is it’s own damn thing, and I will die on that hill.  It’s not cooked in a wood-fired “pie” oven, and is more of a flatbread than anything in the pie family.

What is a special wood-fired oven for a pie? I tried googling it, and most pictures it shows me are, ironically, of pizza ovens.

13 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Y’all, a pizza is a pizza and a pie is a pie. And yes it’s 2021, so if that gives you happiness, you can claim that a pizza is a pie or a sandwich or a vegetable. But a pizza is a pizza, not a pie, and the reason is one word: yeast. If anything, a pizza is a cinnamon roll or a hot cross bun. :dunno: 

Is flatbread pizza not pizza? 

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

What is a special wood-fired oven for a pie? I tried googling it, and most pictures it shows me are, ironically, of pizza ovens.

Thank you - there are no such things as a “pie ovens”.  However, pizza ovens are a thing, as you discovered.  You could not bake anything recognizable as a pie in a pizza oven, as temps are a bit too hot.  

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It is, but it’s not a pie - most flatbreads for pizza (I.e., pita/naan) will have yeast in the dough.

1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I decided to have my top wisdom teeth removed late next month. I don't use them when chewing food and my they're both erupting.

I don’t miss mine. I never noticed a difference.

You should mostly recover in 3-4 days of removal.

Edit: Also buy a milkshake afterwards. It’s tradition.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

From what minuscule understanding I have of food taxonomy, yes, flatbread is pizza. Dough (contains yeast) -> sourdough, flatbread, pizza, buns, panettone, cinnamon rolls, anything that needs to rise.
pastry (no yeast) -> pie, quiche, biscuit, scone, danish, cake, etc, anything you’ll add baking powder to. 

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

From what minuscule understanding I have of food taxonomy, yes, flatbread is pizza. Dough (contains yeast) -> sourdough, flatbread, pizza, buns, panettone, cinnamon rolls, anything that needs to rise.
pastry (no yeast) -> pie, quiche, biscuit, scone, danish, cake, etc, anything you’ll add baking powder to. 

When I Googled flatbread recipes the first thing that came up was one without yeast. I've had several pizzas that were made with a base more in line with pies and crackers than traditional pizza dough. But then again while living in South America I had "pizza" that was just slices of bread with pasta sauce and block cheese thrown on top of it and put into an oven for a few minutes. It was as disgusting as it sounds. The point being "pizza is pizza" is a bit reductive. 

3 hours ago, 1066 Larry said:

I have eaten so many goddamn pastries the last couple days thanks to this thread.

Absolutely crushed a 10 inch extra pepperoni pizza last night. Regretting it this morning though.

Don't wake and bake and ride your bicycle hungry

Been there...:lmao:

13 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I don’t miss mine. I never noticed a difference.

You should mostly recover in 3-4 days of removal.

Edit: Also buy a milkshake afterwards. It’s tradition.

I had a milkshake when I had my bottom wisdom teeth removed in 2009. I'll be getting one again after this surgery.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

When I Googled flatbread recipes the first thing that came up was one without yeast. I've had several pizzas that were made with a base more in line with pies and crackers than traditional pizza dough. But then again while living in South America I had "pizza" that was just slices of bread with pasta sauce and block cheese thrown on top of it and put into an oven for a few minutes. It was as disgusting as it sounds. The point being "pizza is pizza" is a bit reductive. 

You can google anything and find twenty billion recipes adjusted for various modern customer needs, no-yeast, everything free, vegan, etc. I have made no-yeast cinnamon buns myself because they are quicker (and far less delicious, might I add) and I have a friend who’s tried at least fifty different gluten free bread and pizza recipes during the quarantine. Still, the original pizza base is a dough and is made with yeast. The keyword is traditional - categorization will and should be based on the most common and wide-spread (aka traditional) recipe for the sake of simplicity and efficiency. Otherwise there’s no point in categorization and each version of every single food is an individual food in its own right. Luckily, we don’t apply this tiresome logic to food (yet). 

In semi-related news, I just got a free ... doughnut* at the bakery/pastry shop near me because I told the guy working there that I like that they are open on Sunday evening.

*Not sure this is the right word. It was a krof (German Krapfen I think, or at least Austrian), however you describe that thing. Dough with yeast, fried in oil, has to have that yellow ring around where the oil reached while frying, usually filled with apricot marmelade, but sometimes also with chocolate or vanilla cream.

28 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

*Not sure this is the right word. It was a krof (German Krapfen I think, or at least Austrian), however you describe that thing. Dough with yeast, fried in oil, has to have that yellow ring around where the oil reached while frying, usually filled with apricot marmelade, but sometimes also with chocolate or vanilla cream.

That’s a doughnut indeed. That’s how my grandma used to make it. 

I think when the Americans use the word doughnut (do the British also use it?), they think of that thing witj a hole in the middle, that is usually not this sweet? Hooded Crow is probably right, the right word would be a berliner, I forgot about it.

Archived