Small, Worthy, Unworthy -- You Call It!

Zorral

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

I don’t understand how that could possibly happen. He was asked to point a loaded gun at the director and the cinematographer? Poor people… and poor Baldwin, who’ll have to live with this. 

Probably pointing it at the camera, which they were behind.

Presumably it's something resembling Brandon Lee's death where the round fired was blank but something from a previous round was stuck in the barrel and not cleared so the blank propelled it, rather than him intentionally being given a loaded gun.

"Otters are taking over Singapore"

Photos and video here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/singapore-otters-wildlife/2021/10/22/9e85c3ac-2afd-11ec-b17d-985c186de338_story.html

.... Pollution and deforestation drove away Singapore’s otter population in the 1970s. But as the country cleaned up its waters and reforested land in recent years, otters came back in full force, integrating into urban spaces and learning to navigate one of the world’s most cosmopolitan cities.

Today, to the chagrin of some and the joy of others, the island is home to more than 10 otter romps, or families.

In the Marina Bay area, known for architecturally audacious hotels and one-bedroom apartments that sell for $1.8 million, otters bop in the water and the crunch of fish bones echoes through the boardwalk. Using drain pipes as highways, the carnivorous mammals traverse the city, sometimes popping up in rush-hour traffic, or racing through university campuses.

Otters pushed out of the local rivers and bays by rival families dig homes between buildings. They visit hospital lobbies and condominium pools, hunting for koi fish and drinking from fountains. New families fight for access to food and shelter, in battles that are covered by the local papers and dissected online. ....

One would prefer otters taking over the town to wild pigs, wild turkeys, peacocks or alligators, right? Even if they dine on one's koi?

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Reading now, it may not have been a live round. It's not making much sense to be honest. 

Apparently they were hit by debris from firing a blank round, the same way Brandon Lee was accidentally killed on the set of The Crow. 

I saw an old interview the other day with Ben Browder and Claudia Black and Ben Browder mentioned how when they were firing weapons on the set of the SG-1 most the crew were behind plexiglass shields, and after they finished shooting some scenes you could see little bits of metal from the blank casings embedded in the plexiglass. 

35 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Photos and video here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/singapore-otters-wildlife/2021/10/22/9e85c3ac-2afd-11ec-b17d-985c186de338_story.html

One would prefer otters taking over the town to wild pigs, wild turkeys, peacocks or alligators, right? Even if they dine on one's koi?

I just found out otters have been spotted in a small pond just a short walk from my house. A fellow dog walker caught them on video which I watched this morning. They are bigger than my dog. 

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

Photos and video here:

The people of Singapore should just except their new overlords. 

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

Photos and video here:

My order of preference for a town-takeover would be:

Otters

Peacocks

Wild turkeys

Wild hogs

Alligators

I already have wild turkeys in the backyard daily.  I had peacocks as a child and want to have more some day, but unless you're neighbors love the isanely loud and raucous noises they aren't very neighbor friendly.  I love the sound though.  

24 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

My order of preference for a town-takeover would be:

Otters

Peacocks

Wild turkeys

Wild hogs

Alligators

I already have wild turkeys in the backyard daily.  I had peacocks as a child and want to have more some day, but unless you're neighbors love the isanely loud and raucous noises they aren't very neighbor friendly.  I love the sound though.  

Where in the non-flying FUCK are the penguins in that list?

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Also, we know, that in many towns racoons and coyotes are taking over.

And snakes.

Topical. A snake recently got inside my office building. (It was only a little grass snake)

Poor thing was murdered by someone before I was made aware of its presence. I could've taken it out to the field beyond the parking lot :crying::crying::crying:.

5 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Topical. A snake recently got inside my office building. (It was only a little grass snake)

Poor thing was murdered by someone before I was made aware of its presence. I could've taken it out to the field beyond the parking lot :crying::crying::crying:.

O that's sad.  Those grass snakes are the best.

Rather sickening update on the shooting: the one that killed Hutchins was the fourth accidental discharge on that set and all the camera crew apart from Hutchins and one other had walked off that same day in protest among other things at poor safety. So it was a death that was not only preventable but that people had seen coming and were actively trying to prevent, and the production hired scabs to continue the work rather than fix the issue. And someone died. 

Stupid, stupid me. I had no idea The Rolling Stones were playing in town tonight. It was only a couple hundred bucks for a ticket. I'm going to be kicking myself if that was my last real chance to see them. Shortly before Prince's death a few friends and I were planning to see him the next time he did a Minneapolis show...

News app titles in receding order this morning (I’m not kidding): 

Dramatic energy prices, gas shortage - you may have one go at guessing what the feature photo is

Trouble! 6500+ covid cases over the weekend 

Catastrophic situation, natural disaster

Efficient therapy for COVID - subtitle: enough for thousands of patients (we hope you didn’t forget that we ticked that number off in one weekend) 

Anti-vaxxers in schools 

Celebrity “sold his soul to the devil” (this is literally the title) 

Waterworks in danger 

Netflix calculates views differently 

celebrity dies of cancer 

Atmosphere oxygen will run out - we will HAVE TO leave earth 

Well, Happy Monday, may you have a lovely start of the week! Don’t forget to check back in a few hours for more, just when you start feeling mentally healthy, we’ll be here to fix it. 

Walking back from the supermarket, two heavy bags.  I set one of them down at the corner, waiting for the light to change to walk.  An elderly gentleman stops next me and gently chides, "You shouldn't do that.  Somebody will come and steal it."  Then he looks down and sees a huge container of fresh leaf spinach and a pile of tomatoes. Thoughtfully, he amended, "Well, probably not." 

Noticing in the windows of shops the preponderance of Halloween costumes for our dogs, among them ghost decorated dog-knee high sox that end in orange pumpkin booties to cover the dogs' paws.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:12 AM, Tywin et al. said:

#TeamDuckOverlordsTakeover

Are you Emilio Estevez?

Anyway, apart from making silly movie related jokes. Came here for another funny story.

Half a year ago, there was a local political news item, known as Pimmelgate involving our dear Innensenator (homeland security guy for our local goverment) Andreas 'Andy' Grote. Now also known as Pimmel-Andy (pimmel is german slang for dick).

It's not what you think it is, he didn't expose himself or anything like that. What happened was, in a very hypocritical manner he called out people partying in the streets on twitter (corona and so on and so forth). The problem is, that he himself had violated quarantine restrictions early on in the pandemic by hosting party in his home (I think it was his birthday). So one twitter user basically respondend by tweeting: You are such 1 dick, Andy. Usually that would be the end of the story. No, our Pimmel-Andy has decided to file a complaint and here things went wild. After an investigation the police could identify the user, raided their home early in the morning and took off with the electronic equipment (computer and phones) leaving behind the culprit and their obviously distraught children. When word came out of what happened was really going like. Dafuq? Blowing things out of proportions much? All that trouble for calling that useless dildo, a complete dildo. While other people (women in particular) get sent away over actual online abuse. Activists then decided t produce stickers with the words of the by now famous words and place them all around the home area of our dear Pimmel Andy. The police then proceeded to remove it the next day. Tax payers money at work, and most sensible use of resources for any police force in a major city, isn't it? Latest chapter. At a leftist club a they put a poster with the words Special Division Wall and Paint. Andy, you are such 1 dick. Resign! If you wonder why the special division? Well, yeah, that was anticipating the police response. They came and painted black colour over the famous words (disturbance of peace or something). The activists responded by using white colour to reiterate: Andy, you are such 1 dick. Resign.  And they sent out a tweet stating they still have plenty of colour to keep going. Ofc, the coppers did overpaint it again, just for the writing to reappear. Pimmel Andy, pardon, I mean, Innensenator Grothe, has now said he won't file a complaint over the wallpainting. Since the police don't act on insults unless a complaint is filed (German penile law, if you allow me that silly joke), has thus now stopped painting over it with black paint. And yes, even within the police that has episode has caused headshaking over spending as much resources on his their bosses penis.

I am curious what @BigFatCoward makes out of that story, and how he would react if he had to send his underlings to do paint jobs.

Archived