Small, Worthy, Unworthy -- You Call It!

Zorral

On 11/1/2021 at 2:28 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I had a mouthful once, I spat it out immediately and was traumatised. I can't beleive something that smells so good can taste so bad. 

Quick! Try some more before your Covid wears off.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Quick! Try some more before your Covid wears off.

No affect on my tastebuds thank god. 

Achey and exhausted (I've been napping for 4-5 hours a day) but no cough which was a concern as I have asthma. 

Good coffee is amazing, but seemingly impossible to find or make yourself (I probably make 1 good pot of coffee a month).  Bad coffee is drinkable, but bitter, and infinitely better with cream and sugar as it cuts the bitter acids inherent to a bad cup of coffee.  There's a lot to mess up.  Need good beans that are freshly ground, and nicely roasted, the grind can't be too fine or too coarse, water can't be too cold or too hot, and the brew can't be too short or too long.  Anything in any of those steps can turn your cup of joe watery, thick, bitter, acidic, etc....  I drink about a pot every morning, but that one day a month where it turns out perfect is *chef's kiss*

Regarding coffee and tea, my bosses buy instant coffee packets for the teachers’ office every semester.  My thinking is that since it’s free, I might as well have some.  I have one cup every morning to start the work day.  Then, if it’s wintertime, I’ll drink Chinese tea to help me feel warmer during the day.

10 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Regarding coffee and tea, my bosses buy instant coffee packets for the teachers’ office every semester.  My thinking is that since it’s free, I might as well have some.  I have one cup every morning to start the work day.  Then, if it’s wintertime, I’ll drink Chinese tea to help me feel warmer during the day.

When I was at school, we used to drink that instant 3 in 1 “coffee” every other break. The school kiosk lady would make it with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa on top, and refuse to serve us more than three cups a day because she thought we were too young for the 0.3% caffein content. :lol: 

19 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

No affect on my tastebuds thank god. 

Achey and exhausted (I've been napping for 4-5 hours a day) but no cough which was a concern as I have asthma. 

Glad to hear your symptoms are not terrible. How’s the rest of your coping? Hope everybody’s improving. 

On the topic of taste buds, my sense of taste had disappeared around day 5 of covid, shortly followed by smell. It was morbidly ridiculous to chop onion and not cry or inhale crushed garlic and smell nothing. I’d made a huge pot of yellow bean and cabbage soup because I’d had a surplus of both in the freezer and dislike both, so I’d thought why not use them up when I can’t taste it anyway. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Glad to hear your symptoms are not terrible. How’s the rest of your coping? Hope everybody’s improving. 

Nobody else in the house got it. Which amazes me when I think how many times I kissed all 3 of them while I was unaware and most likely to spread.  I never developed any cough which probably helped.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

My baby sister just had a baby girl!  Almost a week late and a day before she was going to induce, but she's here!

Congrats. I never really knew how awful and invasive induction was until it became a possibility for us with our second.  Uncles have to really spoil nieces, its just a rule they have. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Congrats. I never really knew how awful and invasive induction was until it became a possibility for us with our second.  Uncles have to really spoil nieces, its just a rule they have. 

Thanks.  And yeah I'm all about the spoiling.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Nobody else in the house got it. Which amazes me when I think how many times I kissed all 3 of them while I was unaware and most likely to spread.  I never developed any cough which probably helped.

Incredible! I can only imagine the relief. It’s comforting to know that covid can surprise in positive ways as well. All the best and speedy recovery for you then! 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Excellent news.  

Also excellent proof of the help it is even if infected to be vaccinated -- for others as well as for yourself!

~~~~~~~~~

Meantime, over here, woke up with the same sense of hopeless, impending doom I felt prior to Joe Biden's inauguration.  :bang:

On 11/2/2021 at 12:43 PM, aceluby said:

Good coffee is amazing, but seemingly impossible to find or make yourself (I probably make 1 good pot of coffee a month).  Bad coffee is drinkable, but bitter, and infinitely better with cream and sugar as it cuts the bitter acids inherent to a bad cup of coffee.  There's a lot to mess up.  Need good beans that are freshly ground, and nicely roasted, the grind can't be too fine or too coarse, water can't be too cold or too hot, and the brew can't be too short or too long.  Anything in any of those steps can turn your cup of joe watery, thick, bitter, acidic, etc....  I drink about a pot every morning, but that one day a month where it turns out perfect is *chef's kiss*

What's your coffee making process?

I've experimented quite a bit and have been able to get pretty consistent results.  The only real wild card for me right now is my shitty $20 krups grinder.  My ex and I had a burr grinder that pretty much eliminated any inconsistency in the process, which I do miss now.  

I've found that for me at home, pour-over style is the easiest to get consistently good to great results.  I feel like I wasted years of my life fucking around and cleaning out the ol french press.

Of course, a this is contingent upon having a decent bean to start.  

18 hours ago, 1066 Larry said:

What's your coffee making process?

I've experimented quite a bit and have been able to get pretty consistent results.  The only real wild card for me right now is my shitty $20 krups grinder.  My ex and I had a burr grinder that pretty much eliminated any inconsistency in the process, which I do miss now.  

I've found that for me at home, pour-over style is the easiest to get consistently good to great results.  I feel like I wasted years of my life fucking around and cleaning out the ol french press.

Of course, a this is contingent upon having a decent bean to start.  

French press.  I really want to get a good pour over, any recommendations?  Sounds like a great gift to get my wife.  My grinder is probably 15 years old, so need to upgrade that.

48 minutes ago, aceluby said:

French press.  I really want to get a good pour over, any recommendations?  Sounds like a great gift to get my wife.  My grinder is probably 15 years old, so need to upgrade that.

The nice stuff like Chemex is pretty cool-- my neighbor has one and it looks very classy and functional.  I just use a glass pitcher (could even use the french press container!), and a replacement basket that was like $3 to hold the filter.  

Yeah I had a very difficult time getting consistent french press results, there's such a short window of getting a good extraction and then getting a much too oily over-extraction.  

1 hour ago, 1066 Larry said:

The nice stuff like Chemex is pretty cool-- my neighbor has one and it looks very classy and functional.  I just use a glass pitcher (could even use the french press container!), and a replacement basket that was like $3 to hold the filter.  

Yeah I had a very difficult time getting consistent french press results, there's such a short window of getting a good extraction and then getting a much too oily over-extraction.  

Just ordered a Chemex and it'll be delivered tonight.  Can't wait to try this in the morning!

21 hours ago, 1066 Larry said:

I can't believe I waited this long to get one of these.  This coffee is ridiculously good.  I made it FAR too strong, but it's still ridiculously smooth.  Thank you so much for pushing me in the right direction!  My wife is even enjoying a cup of black coffee for the first time in the years I've known her.

Archived