Small, Worthy, Unworthy -- You Call It!

Zorral

On 11/13/2021 at 10:24 PM, 1066 Larry said:

Think I found a new hobby, trying to figure out if I can turn it into a profession.

Reminds me of one of the classic German children stories from my childhood. And yes, it was also one of the first comics ever.

22 hours ago, Rippounet said:

You can practice by making sexy purrs from the back of your throat while naked in front of your partner ("Rrrrrr"). That's kinda the sound you're looking for. Just remember to put pants back on for any actual conversation.

Now I’m going to think about you doing that every time I see you post…

:eek:

On 11/11/2021 at 12:25 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Can't recall if we still have a thread where this would be a better fit so I'll leave this story here.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/10/rivian-pre-order-customers-made-over-240-million-in-profit-on-ipo-pop.html

Electric truck maker Rivian fresh off their IPO price of $78 a share, has rose to $100 a share.

That gives them an 86$billion market cap on zero revenues if I read that right. Equal to G.M. and slightly ahead of Ford's market cap.

Not entirely sure how the article arrives at the zero revenues, 54,000 have put down deposits waiting on vehicles though?

It will be interesting to follow the new generation of car market and how the competition shakes out over the next decade.

There was a confusion emoticon posted on this so I'll post this updated article about Rivians crazy high valuation despite zero revenues.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/16/cars/rivian-value-tesla-toyota-vw/index.html

Eta: Their valuation now exceeds Volkswagon and trails only Tesla and Toyota of the worldwide automakers.

Also mentioned in the article that Bezos and Ford are large stakeholders in this startup.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Neue Rechtschreibung would like a word with you. Tschüss.

I am old school. Rechtschreibreform has produced some totally bonkers spellings.

I mean Seeelefant. Which idiot came up with the idea of tripple e. 

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who mixes up the edit and quote options :D 

Damn. Stupid me. I will leave it up as the sign of my shame.

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am old school. Rechtschreibreform has produced some totally bonkers spellings.

I mean Seeelefant. Which idiot came up with the idea of tripple e. 

Nah, Neue Rechtschreibung is where it's at. "ss" after short vowel, "ß" after long vowel.

Not the example Seeelefant, bit very similar: Fitnessstudio. If my students in their 1st year of learning German can easily figure out and explain why this has a triple s and spell it that way, then I am sure it is easy enough. :D

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Seelefant.

Soul-boy? :D

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Nah, Neue Rechtschreibung is where it's at. "ss" after short vowel, "ß" after long vowel.

Not the example Seeelefant, bit very similar: Fitnessstudio. If my students in their 1st year of learning German can easily figure out and explain why this has a triple s and spell it that way, then I am sure it is easy enough. :D

I'm sorry @A Horse Named Stranger, but Knuck if you Buck

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

But isn’t it just as easily understandable that triple anything is always shortened back to double anything because it’s just less tedious on the eye? :leaving:  I am now that kid in the class you want to drown in a spoon of water :lol: 

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm sorry @A Horse Named Stranger, but Knuck if you Buck

Hey, thank you for teaching me a new phrase. :D My German is better than my English.

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

But isn’t it just as easily understandable that triple anything is always shortened back to double anything because it’s just less tedious on the eye? :leaving:  I am now that kid in the class you want to drown in a spoon of water :lol: 

*stern glare*

Nah, German has too many rules already. Two words combine, you write them together.

And "less tedious on the eye"  doesn't come into question with things like ... Donaudampfschiffskapitän... wasauchimmer. So why would it here. :P

13 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

That was the compromise they eventually settled on. The original reform wanted to do away with the ß entirely. You know why they kept it in, and settled for that compromise?

Names. There are families with an ß in their name, and they were thinking of the poor children.

Archived