Small, Worthy, Unworthy -- You Call It!

Zorral

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Oooh, is that the one with the stolen melody?

*checks Google*

Yup, that's one of several songs he plagiarised. 

I see the theft is the phrase “ohwhyohwhyohwhy”.

It will be be interesting to see if the court says the the words “oh why oh why” belong to Chokri and no one else can use them. Tempo is different but maybe the melody is the same, speeded up? How many ways can you sing ohwhyohwhyoh?

eta: I also see that the number one song in the world in 2016 was Drake’s One Dance, which got surpassed in 2017 by The Shape of You, which also passed One Dance as the most downloaded song in the world. The first song to be downloaded on Spotify 2 billion times! Two billion times! I like that oh why phrase in the song, but that’s not the reason why it was downloaded two billion times.

By the way, have you watched Chokri’s video? It’s a sad song about war, famine, assassination and every other grim thing possible with a dirge of ohwhys as the chorus. At least the controversy is probably getting more people to listen to it. Once, anyway.

Had a student in the lab today complaining that their skin is going all hard and weird. Asked them what they've been doing and they told me they'd been fixing tissues with formaldehyde for microscopy. I told them they should probably be wearing gloves while they're doing that as they've just chemically fixed their hands and 1) It's a sensitising agent and they really don't want a formaldehyde allergy and 2) It's a known carcinogen.

I got an eye roll and an exclamation of 'Oh everything causes cancer these days!'. I somehow doubt my advice will be followed. I despair sometimes.

5 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Had a student in the lab today complaining that their skin is going all hard and weird. Asked them what they've been doing and they told me they'd been fixing tissues with formaldehyde for microscopy. I told them they should probably be wearing gloves while they're doing that as they've just chemically fixed their hands and 1) It's a sensitising agent and they really don't want a formaldehyde allergy and 2) It's a known carcinogen.

I got an eye roll and an exclamation of 'Oh everything causes cancer these days!'. I somehow doubt my advice will be followed. I despair sometimes.

Can you back that up with real evidence like a youtube video or a telegram group? :p

11 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Can you back that up with real evidence like a youtube video or a telegram group? :p

I had a student following a protocol they got from YouTube just last week! Had to tell them never to mention the words YouTube around their actual supervisor, and we can't cite YouTube for a paper so find a more solid source. Unsurprisingly it all turned out like shit anyway.

What's the current thinking/rules about fur? Wife has just inherited a white fox fur coat that cost £700 in 1980 (she used to always compliment the owner when she was a child when she didn't understand the issues). As the foxes are long dead can she profit from it (she'd like to sell it, not interested in wearing it)?

As far as I can work out the more vintage coats in circulation then the less new animals need killed. What's everyone's opinion about this? 

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What's the current thinking/rules about fur? Wife has just inherited a white fox fur coat that cost £700 in 1980 (she used to always compliment the owner when she was a child when she didn't understand the issues). As the foxes are long dead can she profit from it (she'd like to sell it, not interested in wearing it)?

As far as I can work out the more vintage coats in circulation then the less new animals need killed. What's everyone's opinion about this? 

Well personally I think it is bad for people to be anything but disgusted when they see such a thing and that they should vanish completely from the puplic.

But sounds like you could make a pretty penny if it is in good condition. 

44 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What's the current thinking/rules about fur?

Setting fire to fur coats whilst the wearer is still inside them should be a national pastime. With cash prizes.

Disgusting practice, and frankly, I don't care when that animal was slaughtered. It's still vile and barbaric.

Sell that shit and do something good with the money.

I don’t even think a Fox coat would be safe to wear, in England:) Logically, it would be are re use and would be non plastic and biodegradable, but the symbolic is there. Sigh, a salesman had me riffle my fingers in chinchilla, and I will never forget it. I would not buy a fur. Someone gave me a fur coat and I gave it away. Take the cash!

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Extract the DNA from the fur and bring them all back to life Jurassic Park style.  

eta: on a more serious note, for any of you want the luxury and splendor of a fur coat without the ethical dilemma, just adopt 20 cats.

25 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

Extract the DNA from the fur and bring them all back to life Jurassic Park style.  

eta: on a more serious note, for any of you want the luxury and splendor of a fur coat without the ethical dilemma, just adopt 20 cats.

Skinning 20 cats yourself sounds like a lot of effort.

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Skinning 20 cats yourself sounds like a lot of effort.

9 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

To be clear I was talking about incidental pet hair sticking to your clothes until it forms a sumptuous coat.  

No need to skin the cats!  Larry's plan would most likely work just fine.  Or, conversely, those 20 cats would happily drape themselves all over you anyway:D

Just now, Prince of the North said:

No need to skin the cats!  Larry's plan would most likely work just fine.  Or, conversely, those 20 cats would happily drape themselves all over you anyway:D

Yes, the living coat is another classic and opulent look, but people should be careful and do some squats and burpees and work your way up to a full 20 cat-coat.  Don't want to go herniating a disk or something 

Archived