Small, Worthy, Unworthy -- You Call It!

Zorral

4 hours ago, Rippounet said:

So a US-based humanitarian association called the Mediterranean Peace Society sent me an email saying they want to give me (and 150,800 other people) 950,000$.

They even have a half-decent fake website: https://mpsociety.org/

I have to say, it's a change from the Nigerian prince thing.

Click the following link everyone!

https://youtu.be/IXpR2tMgvtE

If you can name that scene (within spoilers) You win a compliment! 

10 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Having decided that going back to uni in my 30s was a sensible decision for some reason, I'm powering through my first all-nighter. Got work all day tomorrow as well, so that will be fun. Trying to remind myself why I'm doing this.

What are you studying?

Don’t worry, you could end up in a job that requires all-nighters on occasion!

Have a good day…

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

What are you studying?

Don’t worry, you could end up in a job that requires all-nighters on occasion!

Have a good day…

Doing a physics degree.

And I absolutely plan to avoid any job that requires overnight work in future. :P

Can't recall if we still have a thread where this would be a better fit so I'll leave this story here.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/10/rivian-pre-order-customers-made-over-240-million-in-profit-on-ipo-pop.html

Electric truck maker Rivian fresh off their IPO price of $78 a share, has rose to $100 a share.

That gives them an 86$billion market cap on zero revenues if I read that right. Equal to G.M. and slightly ahead of Ford's market cap.

Not entirely sure how the article arrives at the zero revenues, 54,000 have put down deposits waiting on vehicles though?

It will be interesting to follow the new generation of car market and how the competition shakes out over the next decade.

49 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

My DH bought a package of factory sealed lightbulbs at a large retailer. The bulbs were fakes! Wow. Supply chain issues or what?

Holy cow! Where was this?  

Not only supply chain issues, but it seems the very slow increase of incompetent design and manufacture of everything from glasses frames to you name it, has exploded, along with labor shortage, with the pandemic.  Nobody can do the job any more.  Nobody wants to.  Nobody bothers. Those years of the shoggoth White House accelerated this into catastrophic levels.  It sounds like ye olden daze soviet russia, right?

6 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Lots of chaos these days. Lightbulbs were replaced with no questions. Victoria, Canada. Yes there is sense of Soviet style issues.

That's crazy. I'm just up Island.

Myself, been waiting on the second half of some Danish dishes [bowls and serving bowls remaining from original order] for almost 5 months, and just bought some new bedframes for my daughters and I last week that are allegedly going to take anywhere from 6 - 8 months to arrive.    

I want to take an online Russian course. And a basic sewing course. And I want to do a liberal arts degree. Where was all this purpose in my early twenties when I actually had the time and means to do all this shit? Although “no time” is a bullshit excuse as I have virtually nothing eating up my time other than a shitty 9to5 corporate job. 

1 hour ago, HoodedCrow said:

Lots of chaos these days. Lightbulbs were replaced with no questions. Victoria, Canada. Yes there is sense of Soviet style issues.

We do find that kinda stuff nostalgic around here, as it turns out :leaving:  My grandmother thinks the world is being set right by retail shortages. (“Nobody needs 40 types of milk to choose from”) I mean… I’d rather choose between 40 types of milk than 2. :lol: 

One of my in laws fled East Germany. Another one was visiting and almost got arrested for having a camera. One person was not good enough with the authorities to become a nurse…considered too powerful a position. Another person was afraid because he had too many bananas! I don’t think that it was pleasant to live there. China did things like mandate cabbage eating so that quotas could be set. I could go on. There were benefits, of course. What I see now is the elimination of opposition. Shudder.

Drums are great. If I could do it all again, I'd learn to play these things properly.

This is for the BBC's Children in Need. The wee chap introducing has been playing for 24 hours - I think he's raised close to a million already. 

By no means does anybody feel or claim that these regimes in the right about their policies. Elder people are just nostalgic about the small things in their lives and we all are. I think that’s okay and understandable. 

on an entirely different topic, we need some type of badge system for recognizing the amazing taxi drivers who put on a mask because I have one on even though it’s not mandatory. 5 stars and tips don’t do justice to such rare responsibility and attentiveness. 

Archived