Jump to content

Aussies and NZers: Jabs, Jobs and (grounded) Jets


Paxter
 Share

Recommended Posts

Parting with tradition and expressly making this a joint thread for the trans-Tasman frenemies. 

But keeping with tradition to start the thread with a classic tune:

Quote

Oh the flame trees will blind the weary driver

And there's nothing else could set fire to this town

There's no change, there's no pace

Everything within its place

Just makes it harder to believe that she won't be around 

 

Edited by Paxter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awwww thanks for the invite :grouphug:

@The Marquis de Leech has attempted a NZ politics thread a few times over the years and it's just not sustainable. I guess we have to accept the reality that we are somewhat of an Aussie appendage, on this forum at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On COVID matters...looks like the AFL Grand Final has led to about a doubling of Vic's case load:

Quote

The contact tracers tell us that there have been significant numbers of social gatherings on Friday and Saturday, over a long weekend. Grand final parties. Other social gatherings, barbecues, backyard visits.

Brace yourselves in NSW for a similar thing after the all-Sydney NRL GF?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Hmmm curious we had a spike in cases in Auckland 3 days after the biggest Rugby game of the year (All Blacks vs Spring Boks), and with 12 cases being not immediately linked to known cases.

But the game wasn't being held in Auckland.

Anyway, back down to 19 today. Still not great, of course, but better than yesterday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

But the game wasn't being held in Auckland.

Anyway, back down to 19 today. Still not great, of course, but better than yesterday.

Doesn't matter, it's breaking bubbles for viewing parties that is the risk, not crowds at stadiums. At least in the case of AKL. Was there a crowd in Melbourne for the AFL final? Seems extremely irresponsible.

Lots of people don't have Sky Sport, and so they go to friend's houses to watch the big games. And the fanatical attachment to men throwing an oval ball around is going to be enough to cause some people to burst their bubble.

Could be a coincidence, but we'll never know, because the govt will never blame the national religion for any kind of COVID incident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Doesn't matter, it's breaking bubbles for viewing parties that is the risk, not crowds at stadiums. At least in the case of AKL. Was there a crowd in Melbourne for the AFL final? Seems extremely irresponsible.

Lots of people don't have Sky Sport, and so they go to friend's houses to watch the big games. And the fanatical attachment to men throwing an oval ball around is going to be enough to cause some people to burst their bubble.

Could be a coincidence, but we'll never know, because the govt will never blame the national religion for any kind of COVID incident.

The AFL Final was held in WA but it appears that there were people in Melbourne who got together for footy parties, against the lockdown rules and there have been confirmed cases from this. The several days of anti-lockdown protests may have contributed as well as there have been cases from among protesters and Building union officials who interacted with them as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Doesn't matter, it's breaking bubbles for viewing parties that is the risk, not crowds at stadiums. At least in the case of AKL. Was there a crowd in Melbourne for the AFL final? Seems extremely irresponsible.

Lots of people don't have Sky Sport, and so they go to friend's houses to watch the big games. And the fanatical attachment to men throwing an oval ball around is going to be enough to cause some people to burst their bubble.

Could be a coincidence, but we'll never know, because the govt will never blame the national religion for any kind of COVID incident.

At the risk of stereotyping, the infectious areas of Auckland are Rugby League country, not so much Rugby Union. And a disproportionate number of the cases remain children, who have little reason to attend viewing parties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Doesn't matter, it's breaking bubbles for viewing parties that is the risk, not crowds at stadiums. At least in the case of AKL. Was there a crowd in Melbourne for the AFL final? Seems extremely irresponsible.

Yeah I misunderstood Pax's point about potential uptick in NSW due to the NRL grandfinal and was confused, because we all know Anna isn't letting NSW residents into Qld for the match lol. But realised house parties were the problem and it makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are unlinked cases children? That would seem odd, since exposure events for children should be much easier to establish since parents know where their children are at all times. Unlike adults and teens who can sneak off anywhere without telling anyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So ICAC is officially investigating Berejiklian over possible misconduct relating to her now disgraced bf and former MP Daryl McGuire. I have a feeling she will live to fight another day…but then again we did once lose a NSW Premier over a bottle of Grange.

Edited by Paxter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

Lol NSW claims another Premier.

Though it wouldn't surprise if part of the reason is that she wants to bail out of being Premier and used the ICAC probe as an excuse. She hasn't been having a good time since the NSW outbreak started.

Her public statement was very contradictory to the above, but I agree with you. The timing works alright - lockdown set to end and enough time for a new leader to bed down before the 2023 election.

I just hope Perrottet doesn’t get the job…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

So ICAC is officially investigating Berejiklian over possible misconduct relating to her now disgraced bf and former MP Daryl McGuire. I have a feeling she will live to fight another day…but then again we did once lose a NSW Premier over a bottle of Grange.

 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Um. Lol. Gladys has resigned.

Is that the worst curse I’ve ever put on anyone via this board?

Ok just quoting this to double down on saving it for posterity lmao. Chefs kiss Pax.

34 minutes ago, Paxter said:

@karaddin saw this coming from a mile away!

I'd give more credit to Brook, I'm just stealing her ideas since she's not on the board much these days.

22 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

Lol NSW claims another Premier.

Though it wouldn't surprise if part of the reason is that she wants to bail out of being Premier and used the ICAC probe as an excuse. She hasn't been having a good time since the NSW outbreak started.

 

5 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Her public statement was very contradictory to the above, but I agree with you. The timing works alright - lockdown set to end and enough time for a new leader to bed down before the 2023 election.

I just hope Perrottet doesn’t get the job…

She seemed pretty genuinely upset though, I don't think she wanted to go. Or maybe she just knows that if noted dipshit Perrottet gets the job he's going to get a bunch of people killed when its getting so close to enough vaccinations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...