Aussies and NZers: Jabs, Jobs and (grounded) Jets

Paxter

13 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

I think it's likely Sydney will peak inside the next 2 weeks, certainly not a month away. At 20%+ test positivity I doubt we're picking up even 1/3 the cases per day (and likely far less than that), and 1%+ (50k+) of the total Sydney population being infected per day is simply not a sustainable number. Inside 2 weeks of that more than 1/7 of the population would test PCR positive. It'll burn itself out.

You may be right - we may hit some sort of peak sooner rather than later. It's a tremendous rate of infection and it will eventually run out of people. I think it's a matter of how steeply the hospitalisations rise and whether that levels off quickly enough to avert a health system crisis (and other disruptions to society).

All that being said, I do believe that Omicron may be the end of COVID-19 long-term. There are multiple accounts out there saying that omicron infection confers some pretty robust immunity from COVID altogether and historically that seems to be what happened with the Spanish Flu and other pandemic-like things.

On 1/3/2022 at 6:19 AM, Jeor said:

You may be right - we may hit some sort of peak sooner rather than later. It's a tremendous rate of infection and it will eventually run out of people. I think it's a matter of how steeply the hospitalisations rise and whether that levels off quickly enough to avert a health system crisis (and other disruptions to society).

All that being said, I do believe that Omicron may be the end of COVID-19 long-term. There are multiple accounts out there saying that omicron infection confers some pretty robust immunity from COVID altogether and historically that seems to be what happened with the Spanish Flu and other pandemic-like things.

Some pleasing news out of the Omicron surge in our smallest state too:

On the five people with COVID-19 in hospital, he said: “I want to make this distinction ... we have no one in hospital being treated for COVID-19 and no one in the ICU as a result of COVID.”

Hopefully it stays that way! Like most of the country, Tasmania has very high vaccination rates, which is undoubtedly helping tremendously to achieve the above. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

How are people reacting in Australia to Novak Djokovic getting an exemption to enter the country and play in the Open despite being a loud anti-vaxxer? Seems like your PM is none too happy about it.

Update: he’s been stopped at the airport because he has the wrong visa

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

How are people reacting in Australia to Novak Djokovic getting an exemption to enter the country and play in the Open despite being a loud anti-vaxxer? Seems like your PM is none too happy about it.

I think the Melbourne crowd’s treatment of Novak will give you the answer.

Fucking absurd. I have had to work my arse off to enter Australia once since March 2020. Novak (unvaccinated) has visited twice!

Onya Australia!

No tenth title for Novak (at least not yet).

One wonders though what Tennis Australia was thinking - shouldn’t they have gotten some legal advice on whether players permitted to play in the tournament were legally allowed in Australia? Or perhaps I’m misunderstanding how much due diligence they should do on matters like that. 

12 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Onya Australia!

No tenth title for Novak (at least not yet).

One wonders though what Tennis Australia was thinking - shouldn’t they have gotten some legal advice on whether players permitted to play in the tournament were legally allowed in Australia? Or perhaps I’m misunderstanding how much due diligence they should do on matters like that. 

From what I read it was Djokovic’s people who made a mistake on the visa application and got him the wrong sort of visa and they didn’t realise until after his flight was in the air

2 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

From what I read it was Djokovic’s people who made a mistake on the visa application and got him the wrong sort of visa and they didn’t realise until after his flight was in the air

Ah ok. On that basis perhaps he can re-enter on the correct visa if he still wants to play.

I think public sentiment and politics may have played a role here. In normal circumstances a visa mistake could probably be fixed, especially for an international star. I doubt he'll be let in whatever happens now. People are really, really angry about this whole debacle, and this government isn't so tone deaf they can't see that.

18 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

But he may have to fly back to Dubai before he can get the proper visa

Yeah he can just get into Dubai or wherever will take him and fix the issue. Then get back to Melbs before the 17th. 

In non-tennis news, the kneejerk changes to testing requirements (moving to rapid tests with no system to upload results) means we now seem to have effectively given up tracking covid numbers. I mean it's all a bit academic at this point (30%+ positive rates in the largest states means we're certainly missing the vast majority of cases) but knowing when waves are peaking / declining could be a good thing when it comes to putting public health measures in place.

If only this was foreseeable...

On 12/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, Impmk2 said:

If things keep progressing as they have, and as we've seen in Europe / US / Canada we can expect testing capacity to be overwhelmed inside the next 3 weeks. Rest of Australia to follow shortly after. Crazy times, even for covid.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Yeah he can just get into Dubai or wherever will take him and fix the issue. Then get back to Melbs before the 17th. 

I don't think he can if the 14 day quarantine is a hard rule. If it is I don't see how he can compete in the first round. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think he can if the 14 day quarantine is a hard rule. If it is I don't see how he can compete in the first round. 

There's no quarantine into any state in Australia (aside from WA). We're completely open internationally. Only a vaccine requirement.

Edit: Oh apparently we still require a negative covid test before getting on the plane. Given case numbers that seems redundant at the moment (aside from not spreading it inside the aircraft).

7 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

There's no quarantine into any state in Australia (aside from WA). We're completely open internationally. Only a vaccine requirement.

Really? I Googled international travel to Australia and it said you're all good with a vax card and a negative test before entry, but if you're unvaxxed (Joker is) there's an immediate quarantine period.

Oh yes, that's his whole medical vaccine exemption thing. He was trying to avoid that requirement. If that Aus open starts on the 17th arriving today (the 6th) would be too late for a 2 week quarantine anyway.

Edit:

Actually reading up on this and listening to a press conference on the issue - it's complex. So travel on a visa in / out of Australia is a federal issue. The federal government currently requires non-citizens / permanent residents to be vaccinated or to have a medical exemption for their visa. Quarantine is a seperate (state based) issue.

Djokovic seems to have had a medical exemption for quarantine from the state of Victoria (it has been eluded to that this was on the grounds that he was recently infected). But the federal government is saying that isn't sufficient for them as an entry requirement.

Edit of edit: The federal government (PM) is now also saying that they informed Tennis Australia in November that an exemption on the grounds of recent infection wasn't going to stand up at the border.

I can't stand him and hate the way "important people" get to ignore the rules, but the whole thing feels like Morrison revised there was mileage to try and exploit out of playing up his hard on borders act when he hasn't given a shit about this pandemic. So I'm mostly just laughing and rolling my eyes at this point.

Didn't expect us to start a Balkan war though!

18 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I can't stand him and hate the way "important people" get to ignore the rules, but the whole thing feels like Morrison revised there was mileage to try and exploit out of playing up his hard on borders act when he hasn't given a shit about this pandemic. So I'm mostly just laughing and rolling my eyes at this point.

Didn't expect us to start a Balkan war though!

Haha. We are building quite the CV of unlikely foes. First La République, now the Republika.

Archived