Aussies and NZers: Jabs, Jobs and (grounded) Jets

Paxter

My only real problem with the protesters (not counting the extremists amongst them) are the vehicles blocking the streets and that is the only thing the government should have tried to clear. Turning on sprinklers and trying to play annoying music just makes the government look petty and arrogant. They should be allowed to camp out on the lawn.

In a way you have to admire the determination of the protesters, the weather in Wellington was absolutely dreadful over the weekend and they are still there camping out undeterred. They definitely believe what they believe in...whatever that is.

I don't agree that the protesters should be able to camp on Parliament grounds. It is not a camping ground, it does not have the facilities necessary to be used as a camping ground, and it is a space that should be freely open to the general public during daytime hours, and closed at night. Have your protest there, but find other accommodation thanks, and keep thoroughfare routes for the general public free to access and free from harassment. You are protesting the govt, you are not there to terrorise school students trying to go to and from school every day*.

Ticket and tow the vehicles that are taking up road space without being legally parked and paying the appropriate fee.

Apparently a few protesters saw a couple of army vehicles in Wellington a few days ago, and the buzz quickly became that the govt would declare martial law. It has been the conspiracy community's constant claim for at least a year that the govt is about to declare martial law. Of course that did not happen, and it won't. News just today is that protesters are going to be offered the nearby stadium for parking, free of charge I imagine. Typical oppressive government tactic no doubt.

*Yes school students do cut across parliament grounds as the most efficient way of getting from the train station to school in the morning. It was also part of my "commute" before the plague came upon us. Fortunately, by shear happenstance it is likely I will not be commuting for at least as long as the protesters are there. If I wanted to take a somewhat efficient route to work I can avoid going through parliament grounds, but I would still have to run a bit of a gantlet close enough to the protesters to get harrassed if they were in the mood and just wanted to shout at people from their vehicles or over the fence.

Archived