Which fan theories have actually come true?

WhatAnArtist!

I read the series for the first time in 2012, so I haven't been involved with the series long enough to read a new book in it after much theorising and discussing (a sad fact...), so I'm curious - to all of the more seasoned readers of the series, who actually read the books before all of the series (thus far) had come out - which theories that fans discussed on forums/boards actually ended up coming true in subsequent books? I've read countless theories of things that may happen in Winds of Winter, and some of them seem extremely far-fetched, but I wonder if that's what people thought about things that did end up happening in Feast or Dance.

Well all five novels had been released before my friend coerced me into reading Game so I can't speak much about what was going on in the fan community before 2011. I dare say that holds true for a lot of the community. This would most definitely be an interesting discussion to have once Winds is published.

Hard to tell.  The older websites don't seem to exist any more.

That Bloodraven is the 3-eyed crow was allegedly predicted before it was "confirmed" in ADWD.  But that depends on whether you really believe that Bloodraven is the 3-eyed crow.

The last 2 books raise more mysteries than resolutions.  And that takes us back 15 years.

18 hours ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

I read the series for the first time in 2012, so I haven't been involved with the series long enough to read a new book in it after much theorising and discussing (a sad fact...), so I'm curious - to all of the more seasoned readers of the series, who actually read the books before all of the series (thus far) had come out - which theories that fans discussed on forums/boards actually ended up coming true in subsequent books? I've read countless theories of things that may happen in Winds of Winter, and some of them seem extremely far-fetched, but I wonder if that's what people thought about things that did end up happening in Feast or Dance.

I am from that far back, (first read around maybe around 2003, first joined the internet discussion boards around 2005 just as AFFC was released, as my first read through was all about devouring the story, and it wasn't till I did a reread  to prep for AFFC release that I started paying attention to mysteries and hints and suddenly R+L=J clicked for me and I had to find confirmation.

Unfortunately, sorry, after all the discussion over all the years, its very difficult to recall what theories were around exactly when and have been 'confirmed' since. Most are still in limbo. Many, such as R+L+J have gotten additional clues, but still not been 'revealed' officially.

I do vaguely recall people thinking Aegon wasn't actually dead - unrecogniseable face of course. That might be one, but arguably its not confirmed yet anyway.

I think most things that have been 'revealed' are more along the lines of general plot directions (like the Ironborn coming for Dany) or unimportant tidbits (like the staus of various Vayrian Steel items etc). But sorry, its all pretty vague in my head.

I saw someone mentioned Bloodraven being the 3EC - thats probably the biggest 'reveal' thats been predicted that I can think of. That and young Aegon.

In 2014 I remember a post from 2007 in this forum that correctly predicted where Arya would go after killing a certain man. That person also correctly worked out who Izembaro was.

Sorry I can't remember the name of the poster, or even of the thread it was in. Still, I was impressed. It is the only fan theory I can think of that is confirmed (assuming the Arya chapter of Winds of Winter released in 2013 is not rewritten).

Things like R+L, A+J, Cleganebowl, Sybell Spicer love potion, fAegon Blackfyre, all seem very probable to me, but none have been unambiguously confirmed like this one (well, not to my satisfaction, anyway).

Archived