UK Politics - Wanted: 50,000 Lorry Drivers. Long hours, Crap Conditions, All The Schadenfreude You Can Eat

Spockydog

From @mormont in previous thread:

It was on the Met to prevent this, not on Sarah Everard to flag down a bus or demand to speak to Couzens' radio operator. They need to be talking about what they are going to do to address their failings, not what women should be doing once it's too late for them realistically to do anything at all.

Yes. Especially as we're now hearing that Couzens was nicknamed 'The Rapist' by his fellow officers.

This is extremely troubling. I've known a lot of blokes in my time, with a lot of nicknames. Never have I known a bloke known as The Rapist.

From this, we must assume the warning signs were there.

Of course, the police are denying that Couzens was ever nicknamed The Rapist, but they would say that, wouldn't they.

1 minute ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Don’t know if its true or bot but appareven after he’d pled guilty, some colleagues were writing pleas of mitigation for him.

Surely that can't be true. :ack:

Unless it's the same colleagues who are being investigated for racist and sexist whatsapp messages.

Apparently they're just sending begging letters to anyone with an HGV license. I got one in the mail the other day, despite having never even held a CPC (don't need one when driving for the military). You would have thought if things were truly desperate that they'd offer CPC training free of charge, or put your directly in touch with firms that are hiring. Nope, just "please go work as an HGV driver, lots of places are hiring, some of them might even pay to train you! It's not as bad as it used to be, honest!"

Think I'll pass.

5 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

Apparently they're just sending begging letters to anyone with an HGV license.

It's worse than that.

Germans with no HGV experience asked to drive lorries amid UK fuel crisis

Thousands of Germans who live in the UK have been written to by the government asking them to drive lorries in an attempt to ease the UK fuel crisis, even though the majority have never been at the wheel of an HGV.

One 41-year-old German man, who, along with his wife, received a copy of the letter at their London home on Friday morning, told the Independent: “We were quite surprised. I’m sure pay and conditions for HGV drivers have improved, but ultimately I have decided to carry on in my role at an investment bank.

“My wife has never driven anything larger than a Volvo, so she is also intending to decline the exciting opportunity.”

Absolutely fucking useless.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of how the police dealt with him (apparently poorly) its pretty much irrelevant. He's not a rapey murderer because of missed opportunities.

If he was never employed and never had handcuffs or a wt card to abduct her, does anyone doubt he wouldn't still have raped and murdered someone. 

35 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of how the police dealt with him (apparently poorly) its pretty much irrelevant. He's not a rapey murderer because of missed opportunities.

Rapists gonna rape. I suppose. 

However, if he had been properly investigated for exposing himself, presumably he would no longer have been a police officer, therefore would no longer have had a warrant card to use as a tool in Everard's abduction. And she might still be alive. 

That right there was an opportunity. Actually, make that two (that we know of) opportunities. 

Has anyone already posted the article that Nigel Farage was hit by a van while searching for gas station that still has fuel?

That level of karma sounds like from a Monty Python skit.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

If he was never employed and never had handcuffs or a wt card to abduct her, does anyone doubt he wouldn't still have raped and murdered someone. 

Maybe, maybe not, presumably it would be a lot harder to abduct someone if he wasn’t able to just arrest her.

Yes, possibly this murderer might still have done something similar if the police had not employed him. But the point is the peculiar horror of this case - abduction by means of what to any layperson appeared to be a perfectly legitimate arrest. An "ordinary" rape and murder would not have attracted anything like this attention.

The case for the prosecution here is that the Met police contains areas where institutional misogyny is so ingrained that red flag behaviour by this murderer was regarded as the norm and ignored or glossed over. Indeed, horribly, it may even have encouraged him. Now this may not be true, but I have not seen any reaction from the police to cast doubt on its truth, and there seems to be little intent to address any such issues.

As for police commissioner Cressida Dick, I am just about old enough to remember with nostalgia when people running organisations actually took responsibility and resigned when something went badly wrong, with no quibbles about whether they could have been expected to know about it or have been able to stop it. It might not have always been fair, but people like that are never going to starve, and the possibility of such an event would certainly have concentrated their minds. Now we just get infuriating stale platitudes, "any lessons will be learnt", which everyone knows means that she intends to take no substantive action.

Not to be entirely negative though - at least they caught this murderer and obtained a successful prosecution. A definite improvement on the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence a generation ago.

3 hours ago, Toth said:

Has anyone already posted the article that Nigel Farage was hit by a van while searching for gas station that still has fuel?

That level of karma sounds like from a Monty Python skit.

*checks to make sure he wasn't injured*

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! 

7 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I’m quite surprised this hasn’t made more headlines actually. It was yesterday evening, and I’ve only found it on the Guardian (though not front and centre) and the Independent. Seems to me to be in the same zone as “let the bodies pile high”, but this time there’s an actual recording of it.

I can’t find the full quote, but is he not saying “on this topic of levelling up, the most important metric is wage growth, never mind cancer outcomes”? As in, they aren’t a good metric for levelling up? I don’t think he’s literally saying ‘don’t worry about cancer outcomes’, frankly he’s not that stupid. Possibly why it hasn’t made more of an impact. Can’t be sure though without seeing the longer clip.

Is Boris:

a) At the wrong station because he is a catastrophic dimwit?

b) Taking the train from Kings Cross to Leeds then hiking across the Pennines to Manchester?

c) Instead of taking the train, Captain Climate Change is actually (f)lying again, and his office has screwed up bigly?

36 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I can’t find the full quote, but is he not saying “on this topic of levelling up, the most important metric is wage growth, never mind cancer outcomes”? As in, they aren’t a good metric for levelling up? I don’t think he’s literally saying ‘don’t worry about cancer outcomes’, frankly he’s not that stupid.

Is the suggestion here that for a politician at any level to say in any context "never mind life expectancy, never mind cancer outcomes" can ever be anything other than very stupid?

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Is Boris:

a) At the wrong station because he is a catastrophic dimwit?

b) Taking the train from Kings Cross to Leeds then hiking across the Pennines to Manchester?

c) Instead of taking the train, Captain Climate Change is actually (f)lying again, and his office has screwed up bigly?

With Boris if he's going somewhere unexpected there's always a possibility there's a woman involved.

14 minutes ago, williamjm said:

With Boris if he's going somewhere unexpected there's always a possibility there's a woman involved.

Or perhaps a certain former KGB agent, who was recently handed a seat in the House of Lords by his good friend, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

Hmmm...

Archived