UK Politics - Wanted: 50,000 Lorry Drivers. Long hours, Crap Conditions, All The Schadenfreude You Can Eat

Spockydog

1 hour ago, john said:

The Morning Star doesn’t get so much press these days (so to speak). Otherwise, yes, broadly same opinions as 35 years ago.

Well, Communism is less of a thing now and Putin has Russia Today to be his mouthpiece instead

10 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

This 'Build Back Better' is a stupid slogan no matter whether used in the US or the UK, but I particularly blame the UK for not having better slogans when they could easily access the classics: "Keep calm and get your build on", "Keep calm and carry on building"

Eh.  "Build Back Better" is a pretty good slogan, I think.  It's short, alliterative, almost impossible to disagree with -- I mean, what, you want to build back worse? -- and it manages to suggest a vague sense of aspirational positivity while promising absolutely nothing of substance.  It's not amazing, sure (it's slightly too generic for that) but it's perfectly fine.

"Keep Calm and Carry On", on the other hand, is a terrible slogan ... and one which was sensibly never actually used for its intended purpose. (I mean "carry on..." what?  Being bombed by the Nazis?) Its current popularity, which I'm fairly sure only really started after the 2008 financial crash (so more than sixty years after the war it was coined for had ended), is a bizarrely ahistorical bit of faux-nostalgia.  Everything I've read about this suggests that test audiences at the time hated "Keep calm..." and the other similarly-worded trial posters the Ministry of Information produced alongside it before the war began, which is why almost all copies made were soon pulped.  

(And they were right to hate it.  It's shit.)

Using my firm knowledge of the English language or in this case Google translate, I can easily translate "build back" to "zurückbauen". This translates - still according to Google - to dismantle.

Hmm...I wonder if something got lost in translation.

2 minutes ago, kiko said:

Using my firm knowledge of the English language or in this case Google translate, I can easily translate "build back" to "zurückbauen". This translates - still according to Google - to dismantle.

This seems accurate 

47 minutes ago, kiko said:

Turns out we thought Boris had been promising to raise living standards, but he’s actually been trying to raze them all along.

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Iron Man Boris? GTFOH.

I can see some similarities, Tony Stark is arrogant, always convinced his plans will work even when they lead to disaster and spends half his time chasing women. Creating Ultron to try to defend the world does sound like a Boris plan.

Of course, Tony Stark is also a genius and his attempts at flight didn't leave him stuck halfway along a zipwire so there are differences as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/07/private-hospitals-treated-eight-covid-patients-a-day-during-pandemic-says-report

UK's private hospitals accept £400M a month during pandemic to treat NHS patients and help with Covid capacity.
Average 8 covid patients a day (between the 18 hospitals, not each), and treat fewer NHS patients than they did before taking the extra money.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:59 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of how the police dealt with him (apparently poorly) its pretty much irrelevant. He's not a rapey murderer because of missed opportunities.

If he was never employed and never had handcuffs or a wt card to abduct her, does anyone doubt he wouldn't still have raped and murdered someone. 

dunno A career in a male dominated force that has power over other other people, may get exposed to seedy side of life and/or see how little is done about crimes from flashing to rape may have worsened his nature and/or given it more scope to act.

6 hours ago, Castellan said:

dunno A career in a male dominated force that has power over other other people, may get exposed to seedy side of life and/or see how little is done about crimes from flashing to rape may have worsened his nature and/or given it more scope to act.

Re male dominated, 27% of officers are female, 34% of total workforce is female and a significant % of the Senior Leadership Team is female, its not the 70s anymore. 

https://www.met.police.uk/police-forces/metropolitan-police/areas/about-us/about-the-met/senior-management-team/

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Re male dominated, 27% of officers are female, 34% of total workforce is female and a significant % of the Senior Leadership Team is female, its not the 70s anymore. 

https://www.met.police.uk/police-forces/metropolitan-police/areas/about-us/about-the-met/senior-management-team/

73% of officers is male dominated, yes?

https://inews.co.uk/news/fuel-shortage-figures-petrol-station-deliveries-panic-buying-crisis-explained-1237349

In news everyone already knew, the ‘fuel crisis’ wasn’t caused by any real shortage of fuel but by panic buying morons. 

hroughout the petrol supply crisis, deliveries to filling stations barely fell as massive levels of panic buying were the leading cause of fuel shortages, i analysis of fuel data reveals.

Archived