UK Politics - Wanted: 50,000 Lorry Drivers. Long hours, Crap Conditions, All The Schadenfreude You Can Eat

Spockydog

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but they've turned up - put on the wrong neighbour's doorstep.

I guess I'll just have to assume that the murder they were investigating was mildly more important than which house the mug belonged to :(
Seems unfair to me, but hey.

16 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

We need a 'groan' emoji.

But we don't.
I'm afraid that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

FTR, As we're in deepest Gloucestershire, I tried to convince the reporter to ask one of the cops "Actually, I just wanted to ask, "What's your perfect Sunday?""
He looked at me blankly, one of the coppers smirked and the cameraman near pissed himself.
Also, just to clarify, we're all about 4-5 houses down from the scene, at the edge of the cordon, the coppers here are just keeping the gawpers away, and being visible, not actually doing any detective work - I would NOT bother them.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

In case anyone is wondering, the scientific classification is determined by the following rule:

Cakes go hard when stale, biscuits go soft.

Also cakes are only baked once; whilst biscuits are baked twice (it's literally in the name)

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Re male dominated, 27% of officers are female, 34% of total workforce is female and a significant % of the Senior Leadership Team is female, its not the 70s anymore. 

https://www.met.police.uk/police-forces/metropolitan-police/areas/about-us/about-the-met/senior-management-team/

Laughter aside, the Toronto police force is 22% female (2019 number, may be higher now) but the civilian portion is 50% female.

To be fair, policing is definitely a career that attracts more men. 3/4 is definitely ‘male dominated’.

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

In case anyone is wondering, the scientific classification is determined by the following rule:

Cakes go hard when stale, biscuits go soft.

Yeah, in the court case between McVities and Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise they literally baked a huge Jaffa Cake to prove it was a cake. Your witness, mutherfucka.

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

To be fair, policing is definitely a career that attracts more men. 3/4 is definitely ‘male dominated’.

I would add perhaps particular types of men like couzen who see it as way to excert power of others.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:20 PM, Castellan said:

dunno A career in a male dominated force that has power over other other people, may get exposed to seedy side of life and/or see how little is done about crimes from flashing to rape may have worsened his nature and/or given it more scope to act.

Or see more toxic behavior being praised or laughed off as harmless fun.

7 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

As long as Chunky Kitkats are still considered a biscuit rather than confectionery, I don’t care.

People still buy Kitkats? I mean the palm oil in it are enviromentally not great, very mildly put. And it's not even particularly healthy.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

People still buy Kitkats? I mean the palm oil in it are enviromentally not great, very mildly put. And it's not even particularly healthy.

I definitely choose my chocolate bars based on which is the most healthy. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

The fact that this gets reported occasionally doesn't make it the norm you know. 

Of course not—but for many police departments it’s common enough to be the or at least fairly typical. Such is the case here where the rapist-murderer in question had a history of abusive behavior and didn’t have his employment terminated, and seemed to have been cheekily given a nickname because of it.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Of course not—but for many police departments it’s common enough to be the or at least fairly typical. Such is the case here where the rapist-murderer in question had a history of abusive behavior and didn’t have his employment terminated, and seemed to have been cheekily given a nickname because of it.

You can't sack someone because of a creepy demeanor and a dodgy nickname. Getting someone sacked from the police (and as far as I'm aware any government employment) is an incredibly laborious process. 

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Very few people give a real shit about the environment. Health is even less relevant beyond the health fad of the month.

I think a lot of palm oil is now branded as being sustainable, though I'm not sure to what extent this is greenwashing. Palm oil is a hugely common ingredient in lots of other things  - palm products are used not just in food, but also in stuff like shampoo and cosmetics. And they're used across Europe, the Americas, and Asia. 'Sustainable' palm oil, when such large-scale cultivation is needed to meet world demand, may be an oxymoron. 

ETA: It's a traditional element of African cuisines, I believe. I remember a colleague from Cameroon going to great lengths to acquire a bottle of it when she lived in China. The oil was a rather attractive orange-colour. 

Archived