UK Politics - Wanted: 50,000 Lorry Drivers. Long hours, Crap Conditions, All The Schadenfreude You Can Eat

Spockydog

I may well be proved to be wrong, but I doubt it. A religious, by which I assume you mean jihadist, motive seems unlikely to me. I would expect such a target to be more high profile and/or have a connection to an event or policy. He has neither, and it's Southend, they would probably arrest someone with dark skin on general principles (bad joke). I'm thinking personal grievance or nutterdom.

Can we mind the language about mental illness please?

If it does turn out to be someone suffering from delusions/psychosis, that would be incredibly sad for all concerned. But whatever the reason, it's still awful.

ETA - not suggesting anyone is being deliberately offensive, by the way. I know you folks better than that.

Well yes, but the initial post, pre-pussy editing, just said it's the dictionary definition. I imagine he then decided to check the dictionary definition, and rowed the fuck back, because it a) doesn't exist and b) in related posts, suggests that, in all but a vanishingly few examples, the two terms are mutually exclusive. But hey, comme ci, comme ca.

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

I may well be proved to be wrong, but I doubt it. A religious, by which I assume you mean jihadist, motive seems unlikely to me. I would expect such a target to be more high profile and/or have a connection to an event or policy. He has neither, and it's Southend, they would probably arrest someone with dark skin on general principles (bad joke). I'm thinking personal grievance or nutterdom.

It seems very targeted without any other people injured as far as I know which would seem atypical for jihadist attacks.

2 hours ago, A wilding said:

And fair enough, an extreme right right wing "crazy" killed the last MP to be murdered. But on the whole it tends to be right wingers rather than left wingers who are violent in the UK. (And elsewhere as well?)

Edit: violent to the point of murder that is.

Certainly true here in the States, and it's made all the more delightful considering those same people are also the types that like to horde large stockpiles of firearms. I'm actually surprised there aren't more assassination attempts given the current political climate. 

My own MP, Bambos Charalambous, is a genuinely lovely guy. He has lived round here all his life, and has done some amazing stuff for his community, first as a councillor, and now as MP.

Most days, he can be found sitting at his desk in his glass-fronted constituency office, next to bus stop on a busy North London road.

If you're walking past his office, you can stick your head around the door, just to say hello, and be greeted with a smile (and very possibly a joke). If you have a problem, need a quick word of advice, Bambos will pull out a chair and ask you to sit down.

I'm guessing that things will change now. To lose two MPs in such a short space of time is heart wrenching, and, honestly, I'm tearing up right now up at the thought of anything like this happening to him.

Something will probably have to be done. I can see a lot of MPs pulling up the drawbridges. And that's really sad.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:49 AM, The Great Unwashed said:

This is something Patel appears to have taken from the U.S. playbook on committing asylum atrocities.

I feel like this one is actually copying the Australian play book, Britain is keeping it within the Commonwealth. It's literally carbon copy of how this has progressed here over the last two decades - talk about the people smugglers are the ones putting people in danger, tow boats back to your neighbours territorial waters and maybe throw in disabling the boat so they're adrift and reliant on rescue, throw in violations of said neighbours territory by your Navy vessels, and deflect by insisting that there is a "legal way", that asylum seekers need to respect the process and wait their turn through proper channels. I guess I haven't seen the phrases "boat people" or "queue jumpers" in this thread but I'm sure they'll be along. 

The US doesn't map on as perfectly because there's a large land border, us island nations get to use the boats as the vector for the dog whistle.

3 hours ago, Hereward said:

Can I ask what the preferred descriptor is for someone who murders someone without a defined stupid political motive? I'd hate to upset anyone wanting to kill someone for no apparent reason.

Pretty sure the issue is harming other people with mental health issues who not only haven't killed anyone but don't even want to, not offending this one guy who did. People with mental illness are more likely to experience violence than enact it, and talking about it in that fashion contributes to their alienation and deters others from seeking help when they need it.

I normally also want to avoid dismissing the harm done like it's not thought through and intended, people carry out violence for political ends or bigotry without a shred of mental illness, but if this case looks less likely to be that given the low profile of the victim then that's less applicable.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:07 AM, Heartofice said:

….

Anyway, the point is, of course there will be short term pain from leaving an institution that has grown roots into so much of the way it’s members are run, it would mad to think it would all go smoothly from day one, especially when actually our own government has so many incompetent people running it. But actually in terms of the project fear projections, almost non of them have come to pass.
Despite what some of the hyperbolic members of the board will tell you, we are not living in the end times, everything is basically the same. Even where there were issues such as with HGV drivers, Brexit is only one of a number of factors in the equation, but because it’s not convenient to see the big picture, that gets swept over.

So were you lying all those years when you argued this wouldn’t happen, or just changing your tune now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58935372

Stabbing now being treated as a terrorist incident.

"The fatal stabbing in Leigh-on-Sea has tonight been declared as a terrorist incident, with the investigation being led by Counter Terrorism Policing," the Met said. 

"The early investigation has revealed a potential motivation linked to Islamist extremism."

7 hours ago, ants said:

So were you lying all those years when you argued this wouldn’t happen, or just changing your tune now?

How serious do you truly want to take someone who’d argue someone wanting to keep Britian white isn’t racist? At a certain point of absurdity you should  Trust they’re not speaking purely from ignorance or genuine convictions to the statements being made. It’s a performance worth a bit of mockery perhaps but nothing more. 

Edit: Thank you for helping illuminate this American boy’s point. -_-@Heartofice

@Heartofice

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

This is about ten years of austerity, not lazy doctors.

Yes, the government is right out in the open now. Blame the NHS GPs. Never mind that there are not enough of them because the government has failed to recruit and retain them. Call them lazy for in many cases not wanting to work more than 3 high pressure 14 hour days a week. Wield a stick that will only accelerate the trend of them leaving or retiring early. While I generally tend to assume incompetence rather than malice, if they are not trying to wreck the GP system then the incompetence here is extraordinary. Surely they are not that afraid of the Daily Fail and its readers?

Dr Phil Hammond in Private Eye on GP's relentless treadmill of appointments:

You have 10 minutes to help an 80 year old woman who is arthritic, breathless, recently bereaved and on half a dozen medications. It takes 3 of those minutes to get her into the consulting room. She wants to talk about her late husband. You need to check the breathlessness is not a red flag for a life threatening condition or a dangerous side effect of one of her medications. You are also scared that you might miss a red flag cancer symptom. It takes another 3 minutes to get her on the couch to be examined. Yet her main reason for coming was actually loneliness.

And on top of that they already had to deal with a plague of abusive and even violent patients egged on by the Daily Fail and its ilk, even before this latest "campaign".

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

And on top of that they already had to deal with a plague of abusive and even violent patients egged on by the Daily Fail and its ilk, even before this latest "campaign".

Indeed. Some of the language you now see around healthcare professionals is similar to that which we saw for politicians when Brexit was coming to a head.

Despite what some newspapers would have us believe, doctors and nurses are not our enemies. They are not traitors. They are the people who will one day be tasked with trying to save our lives. Perhaps, in light of recent events, they will moderate their language.

GPs and their staff being subjected to abuse since the government chucked them under the bus.

In better news, the UN decided to withdraw a job offer to Matt Hancock where he would have been helping Africa with covid.

Because he did such a bang-up job here…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58940128

Archived