UK Politics - Wanted: 50,000 Lorry Drivers. Long hours, Crap Conditions, All The Schadenfreude You Can Eat

Spockydog

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Ah, shit.

*frantically begins searching for German ancestors*

Is that a thing?  I've heard ireland does the thing where you can come back if some of your ancestors were irish, but I hadn't heard germany does it.

My wife is dutch and on bad days I often thing about moving to Europe.  Just seems impossible to make a reality, and then my remaining family would just be so far away I'd probably never see them again.

9 minutes ago, argonak said:

Is that a thing?  I've heard ireland does the thing where you can come back if some of your ancestors were irish, but I hadn't heard germany does it.

My wife is dutch and on bad days I often thing about moving to Europe.  Just seems impossible to make a reality, and then my remaining family would just be so far away I'd probably never see them again.

It's quite common: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

When you say profit, does that mean after all expenses including the living expenses of the family, which is usually attributed as a farm expense if you set yourself up right? 

He made life hard for himself by massively diversifying. If you are going to be a market garden, then yeah grow a variety of stuff, but that is usually on just a few acres. For a 1000 acre farm it's better for focus on a couple of things, or better still just one thing. And don't plan to make a profit for a couple of years, if you are starting from scratch.

Average farm size here is 660-ish acres. Farms that size tend to do just one thing and don't attempt to make their main income from direct sales to consumers, and most of their product goes to export. Average farm size of 200 acres isn't brilliant for production efficiency

I believe it was the profit for the farm alone after all expenses (so his income from other TV work, The Grand Tour etc was not included). The farm manager did note that without COVID it may have been been ~£30,000, which for a farm in its first effective year of operation under new management isn't too bad (though he did re-hire a few people the previous manager used and basically followed their advice in most instances whilst pretending not to, so that was probably a bit overstated).

Average farm size in the UK is about 230 acres, which quite a lot of people have noted is small compared even to comparably sized or smaller countries, let alone much bigger ones. However, we have a problem with a relatively massive population crammed into not a huge amount of space (the UK is 10% smaller than NZ but with almost fourteen times the population) and most of our farms have accumulated together out of earlier smallholdings.

They are insanely popular. Still.

I was trying to find figures on this but surprisingly they are unavailable. The number of dedicated Internet cafes seems to have dropped off a cliff (Colchester had four in 2005 and has absolutely zero today, and London apparently only has a dozen or so left when it must have had hundreds around the turn of the century) because almost every single cafe in the country now has WiFi so you can just log in there with a phone or mobile device. Would be interesting to see if there was harder data out there on this.

1 hour ago, argonak said:

I was joking.

Though, I should probably write to the German embassy and claim ancestry to Rædwald of East Anglia.

2 hours ago, argonak said:

You got grandparents or parents who are European? Bingo! My brother got his Polish citizenship, urged on by his wife, who wants to leave the hell hole that is Canada and go back to a real country like Poland.

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Is that the same as eternal damnation?

Not exactly. According to my childhood priests, Hellfire is what you are given to go alongside your eternal damnation. A bit like a spicy condiment. However, if you've been a different type of naughty, you don't get any fire, but are instead frozen alive in a vast icy lake in which Lucifer himself is also imprisoned. Apparently. 

29 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You got grandparents or parents who are European? Bingo! My brother got his Polish citizenship, urged on by his wife, who wants to leave the hell hole that is Canada and go back to a real country like Poland.

Are Texas and Afghanistan too hard to relocate to from communist Canada these days?

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Are Texas and Afghanistan too hard to relocate to from communist Canada these days?

If you’ve read the Covid threads, you know she’s an anti-vaxxer. Good friends of hers, a Polish couple who split the best of worlds by having him work in Detroit for a car company and make, like $300 or $400k a year, while she lives in Canada preserving her citizenship and flipping houses every three or four years or so, and having health care, plan to retire soon. Number one on the list of places to move to? Texas. Ain’t nobody gonna make them take that damn vaccine there!

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Ah, shit.

*frantically begins searching for German ancestors*

He really is an enormous cunt. Imagine being so thick you got hoodwinked by this guy. LOL.

The look on Farage’s face when the anchor plays the clip of him sating ‘up the ra’.

Also Farage somehow comparing EU membership to centuries of British oppression. Pretty sure the EU have yet to unleash dragoons on the Irish populace, or cause a famine.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Also Farage somehow comparing EU membership to centuries of British oppression. Pretty sure the EU have yet to unleash dragoons on the Irish populace, or cause a famine.

His Polish counterparts compare EU to USSR, which is maybe even more cynical (or demented) as it existed nearly yesterday, during their conscious lifes.

223 COVID deaths today, the highest total since March.

The direction of travel remains upwards, although more haphazardly then at earlier points in the pandemic. The question is at what point is further action warranted?

Archived