UK Politics - Wanted: 50,000 Lorry Drivers. Long hours, Crap Conditions, All The Schadenfreude You Can Eat

Spockydog

23 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I wouldn't say that 2/3 of total workforce is dominated. I'd say its skewed, but dominated would have to be much more unbalanced (for me). 

I would say that almost three quarters (your maths needs work) means dominated.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Re male dominated, 27% of officers are female, 34% of total workforce is female and a significant % of the Senior Leadership Team is female, its not the 70s anymore. 

https://www.met.police.uk/police-forces/metropolitan-police/areas/about-us/about-the-met/senior-management-team/

Question - do you have the figures for firearms officers? or specifically the political and diplomat protection division?

I would expect those to be much more male-dominated, and man-child / toxic masculinity dominated for that matter; and more relevant than the figures for the Met overall for these individuals.

8 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Question - do you have the figures for firearms officers? or specifically the political and diplomat protection division?

I would expect those to be much more male-dominated, and man-child / toxic masculinity dominated for that matter; and more relevant than the figures for the Met overall for these individuals.

I can't find any figures specifically for PaDP. I know there has been a huge push in last few years through open days, mentoring etc to increase the figure of female firearms officers overall. 

Anecdotally that dept seems much more of a boys club than the operational firearms teams.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I can't find any figures specifically for PaDP. I know there has been a huge push in last few years through open days, mentoring etc to increase the figure of female firearms officers overall. 

Anecdotally that dept seems much more of a boys club than the operational firearms teams.

Thank you

I think pointing out that much of the female workforce is in non-warranted officer roles isn't the good indicator of changing culture that you might imagine.

7 minutes ago, mormont said:

I think pointing out that much of the female workforce is in non-warranted officer roles isn't the good indicator of changing culture that you might imagine.

Pointing out that a significant number of the SLT is though.

And the difference isn't 'that' striking 27-34% is hardly massive is it? A large number of them are in roles that are front line, operational and in uniform exercising various policing powers (detention command and PCSOs).

47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Pointing out that a significant number of the SLT is though.

And the difference isn't 'that' striking 27-34% is hardly massive is it?

Hard to say without knowing the proportion of the workforce that isn't warranted. Like, if 90% of the workforce was warranted officers, then to get the overall workforce figure from 27% to 34% would mean almost all of the unwarranted workforce would be female: if 50% was warranted, you'd still need 41% of the unwarranted workforce to be female. I suspect it's somewhere in between, but whatever the figure, it indicates a problem: getting more women into the overall workforce doesn't help if they're concentrated in lower-status work, and whatever policing powers they have, I suspect that unwarranted work is probably seen as lower status.

33 thousand officers. 10000 police staff (about 2,000 of these are operational/ frontline).

While there is a bit of snobbery about uniform wearing non police, the majority of other police staff have bandings which are equivalent to their counterpart police ranks (though are paid slightly less).

There has been a huge reduction in the lower status police staff roles, It's where we have made most of our savings. Consequently lots of police officers are now being paid far too much for the admin roles they are doing. 

Talking of "Don't Trust a Copper" - current evidence locallly to me suggests that Vimes had the right of it - trust 'em with the big stuff, but not anything small that hasn't been nailed down (joking btw)

They've been parked up more-or-less outside my house for the last 3 days straight, cordoning off my driveway; where the press have parked up.
I've been bringing them a pot of tea and plate of biscuits 3-4 times a day as they get reasonable coffee and gods-awful tea.

This morning 1 of my mugs, and the milk jug have all gone AWOL!

A] Poor little me, and B] I'm sure it'll turn up

Archived