US Politics: A Game of Chicken (with Constituents lives)

Ser Scot A Ellison

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know why you have such an axe to grind with Politico.  Even if, the article was written by their two WH correspondents, I see no reason to impugn them basically reporting on what they're hearing from there and the Hill.

Perhaps the fact that it's ownership group wants to be the next Fox News of Germany...?

Why Politico is about to get worse

Politico’s hallmark, clickbait failures are likely to become more pronounced because the publication was just sold for $1 billion to an openly conservative media giant based in Germany, Axel Springer. Named after the company’s founder who has been referred to as Germany’s Rupert Murdoch, all Springer employees must pledge their allegiance to the company’s “Essentials”:  

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Perhaps the fact that it's ownership group wants to be the next Fox News of Germany...?

Fair enough.  Again, that's no reason to discount all of their reporting.  The owner of the Hill is a Trumpist asshole, that doesn't mean that's the case for their entire staff.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

Fair enough.  Again, that's no reason to discount all of their reporting.  The owner of the Hill is a Trumpist asshole, that doesn't mean that's the case for their entire staff.

Granted. However, the positions of those publications behind the scenes color everything they put forward to the masses.  It's slanted, biased reporting with ckick bait headlines. There might be "decent" people working at each place, but the reporting that is making it to the people can mostly be discounted.

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

However, the positions of those publications behind the scenes color everything they put forward to the masses.  It's slanted, biased reporting with ckick bait headlines. There might be "decent" people working at each place, but the reporting that is making it to the people can mostly be discounted.

The point is since July there is a very clear correlation between Biden's overall approval dropping and approval of his handling of covid dropping - especially among Independents.  If you want to argue that correlation is due to other factors have at it, but the fact a lot of people are coming to the conclusion reported in the article is not particularly surprising - nor biased, nor click bait-y.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Politico has a piece out today on Biden's declining approval and that it all circles back to covid:

I saw this while in line at the store earlier. That's truly a terrible headline. The media spent four years talking about Trump's decline (cognitively), now the right are doing it to Biden, and I read that headline as cognitive decline. They need better editors.

37 minutes ago, DMC said:

The point is since July there is a very clear correlation between Biden's overall approval dropping and approval of his handling of covid dropping - especially among Independents.  If you want to argue that correlation is due to other factors have at it, but the fact a lot of people are coming to the conclusion reported in the article is not particularly surprising - nor biased, nor click bait-y.

I'd simply rather see better sources than Politico before decrying something one way or another.

This all started over a Politcal article citing falling approval numbers, even though said approval numbers have climbed recently. Without context, the headline is deliberately misleading at best.

2 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I saw this while in line at the store earlier. That's truly a terrible headline.

I thought it was pretty clear the headline is referring to his declining approval numbers.  Other than using the word "decline" I'm not sure how any reasonable person takes it and the subheadline "Democrats are ringing alarm bells and coming to the simplest of conclusions: It’s the pandemic, stupid" any other way.

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

This all started over a Politcal article citing falling approval numbers, even though said approval numbers have climbed recently. Without context, the headline is deliberately misleading at best.

The headline is not misleading.  Just because he had three polls showing an improved approval does not change the fact his approval number have been declining the past three months.  Nobody disputes that - including Psaki.  The most recent polls could be the start of a rebound, or it could be a blip, we still don't know.  His 538 aggregate approval is still only at 44.6.

2 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Simply want to see better sourcing of information. 

The sourcing of the information is perfectly fine.  If I knew all citing the article would engender was whining about politico rather than actually responding to the content of the article I wouldn't have posted it.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

The sourcing of the information is perfectly fine.  If I knew all citing the article would engender was whining about politico rather than actually responding to the content of the article I wouldn't have posted it.

Why? I did read it. It's not what I'd consider a very good article. I'm not entirely sure I'd consider its premise sound. 

"Biden needs to control the pandemic"?  As if he's solely, personally responsible?  It's unrealistic. And as he's already been working every angle, as near as I can tell, to do what needs to be done within the powers of the presidency, short of so.e sort of Trumpian declaration of unilateral authoritative takeover,  what else are you expecting him to do?  Vaccines are free to the public. Until conservatives and their ilk decide to actually get valued, what is Biden supposed to do to end the pandemic?  Get Congress to end the filibuster and start moving his agenda forward?  That I'd agree would be good, but that isn't the focus of the article.

That article is slanted and designed to direct focus away from what's really keeping Covid as the issue it is.  

Is there any other significant news source citing thus stuff?  I'm willing to state I'm wrong if there is.  However, this Politco article isn't enough for me to consider it overly relevant.

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That article is slanted and designed to direct focus away from what's really keeping Covid as the issue it is.  

Is there any other significant news source citing thus stuff?  I'm willing to state I'm wrong if there is.  However, this Politco article isn't enough for me to consider it overly relevant.

I think you're revealing your own bias here.  The article is predominately identifying the cause of his approval decline - the decline of his approval on covid.  And then cites a number of people who assert that covid is indeed what's driving that decline.  I thought it relevant to post here because just a few days ago we had a discussion on Biden's declining approval and its causes.  Again, if you want to argue that, let me know.

1 hour ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I saw this while in line at the store earlier. That's truly a terrible headline. The media spent four years talking about Trump's decline (cognitively), now the right are doing it to Biden, and I read that headline as cognitive decline. They need better editors.

This was 100% my reaction too. The headline could have been referring to cognitive decline -- it was weird to not specify in the headline that it was a decline in approval or 'polls'. That's certainly how those headlines are typically phrased. 

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Biden needs to control the pandemic"?  As if he's solely, personally responsible? 

Perception can be more important than reality. He’s not solely responsible for handling it, but being the leader of the country he’s going get praise for its triumphs and condemnations for its problems even if he’s not solely responsible for any of it.

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

This all started over a Politcal article citing falling approval numbers, even though said approval numbers have climbed recently

By the time you wrote this they’ve climbed from its lowest point to less than a point.

10 hours ago, DMC said:

I thought it was pretty clear the headline is referring to his declining approval numbers.  Other than using the word "decline" I'm not sure how any reasonable person takes it and the subheadline "Democrats are ringing alarm bells and coming to the simplest of conclusions: It’s the pandemic, stupid" any other way.

The headline is not misleading.  Just because he had three polls showing an improved approval does not change the fact his approval number have been declining the past three months.  Nobody disputes that - including Psaki.  The most recent polls could be the start of a rebound, or it could be a blip, we still don't know.  His 538 aggregate approval is still only at 44.6.

You don't see the sub headline on your phone/news app, you just see the headline. People have been screaming about his cognitive decline since January, and its all we heard about for four years prior too.

9 hours ago, Week said:

This was 100% my reaction too. The headline could have been referring to cognitive decline -- it was weird to not specify in the headline that it was a decline in approval or 'polls'. That's certainly how those headlines are typically phrased. 

I know Politico considered themselves impartial and free from bias, but it's shocking they didn't catch that. I'm going to send them a message about to be honest. Some people only read headlines, and it furthers their biases--or, for people like me who have family members in severe cognitive decline--we read the meaning we're closest to.

1 hour ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I know Politico considered themselves impartial and free from bias, but it's shocking they didn't catch that. I'm going to send them a message about to be honest. Some people only read headlines, and it furthers their biases--or, for people like me who have family members in severe cognitive decline--we read the meaning we're closest to.

No one is perfectly free from bias and perfectly impartial.

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No one is perfectly free from bias and perfectly impartial.

No one is free from simply making mistakes, either.

I would think that the editor who wrote the Politico headline is almost certainly someone who deals with articles about polls and polling every day and whose mind would naturally go to "polls" instead of "cognitive ability" when he or she was using the word "decline" in a headline.

I have had inaccuracies introduced into headlines on my little newspaper column about names more than once. The latest was when in my column about the name Andrew the headline implied it the name was most common among Baby Boomers when the article I wrote said it was most common among GenXers and Millennials. I don't think that was because of any bias for or against a specific "generation" -- just the result of an overworked and underpaid editor misreading something while skimming what I had written. 

3 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

You don't see the sub headline on your phone/news app, you just see the headline.

Even then I still don't really see it.  The headline reads "‘The president’s decline is alarming’: Biden trapped in coronavirus malaise."  So..people are supposed to take from that that "coronavirus malaise" is causing his cognitive decline?  I think y'all are hearing zebras.  

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Even then I still don't really see it.  The headline reads "‘The president’s decline is alarming’: Biden trapped in coronavirus malaise."  So..people are supposed to take from that that "coronavirus malaise" is causing his cognitive decline?  I think y'all are hearing zebras.  

I took it at his decline is contributing to the recent malaise and lack of action on the COVID front. 

August jobs report -- people quitting, quitting, quitting and not going back to jobs they were let go from either.  Which contributes too to all sorts of bollox ups, from deliveries to manufacturing and warehouses.  It's not just restaurants.

Archived