House of the Dragon Teaser Released

Westeros

That really happened. August 23.

I am sorry to bother you m'lord, but HBO isn't answering our e-mails: the ONE page that HBO has for House of the Dragon at the moment...now describes a 1996 French language Vampire movie.

https://www.hbo.com/house-of-the-dragon

Our running guess is that the web development team intended to update it but copy-pasted the wrong text (probably the description of this Vampire movie on HBO Max)

https://twitter.com/LaCittadellaEgg/status/1430938369580802053

This is of course as saddening as it is risible. HBO's website team has really been phoning it in.

Anyway I'm writing to ask if you can you please shoot off an e-mail to...whoever you think is in charge of this in HBO's web or PR departments? Or at least shoot off an e-mail to whatever producer you think knows the e-mail of whoever is responsible.

Greg Yaitanes: Yes let me get this fixed. Thank you for alerting us.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

So will the Targaryen dragons have four legs to explain the symbol, or are they just doubling down on GoT's mistake? It's an unnecessary departure from the book lore.

They will have 2 legs. HBO posted some portrayals of them a while ago. 

10 hours ago, Ran said:

It's not a dragon, it's a prowed ship. It could be a dragon-headed prow, or a wolf-headed one (Ice Wolf?), or a snake-headed (Sea Snake?)... or even a swan prow. The latter is interesting if it's supposed to be a depiction of Velaryon history implying close ties to the Summer Isles, I suppose.

Looks like snake or swan. https://imgur.com/a/nmJO8Mq

11 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

It's not far fetched to conceive of the Catspaw dagger being a Targaryen relic. Where else would Robert get it? I mean, think about it. Dragonbone hilt, Valyrian steel.....

Robert didn't have it. Littlefinger had it and Robert got it from him.

8 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

They will have 2 legs. HBO posted some portrayals of them a while ago. 

This isn't a question that we'd have to ask if they'd shown more than a head!!! I know that they just finished filming recently, but I feel like a shot of several dragons flying over the city and/or the Dragonpit would've been a *great* scene to set apart HOTD from GOT. The main draw for this show (compared to the canceled Stark show) is almost certainly "We Have Dragons" so I'm disappointed we only got the one head and a focus on the politics. This may also be a thought I'm having since I've been wondering again how the hell Rhaenyra lost when she had 13 v. 6 dragons, but oh well. Hopefully the show expands on that to make it somewhat more realistic. Either way, I'm here for it.

11 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

It's not far fetched to conceive of the Catspaw dagger being a Targaryen relic. Where else would Robert get it? I mean, think about it. Dragonbone hilt, Valyrian steel.....

I'm very much of the opinion that they shouldn't explain it and just let it be an easter egg. There's no need to explain every little detail and I'd rather they focus on the big details. But if they do, Ormund Hightower did wield the family's Valyrian sword, Vigilance, during the war. Maybe they remake it as a Valyrian dagger?

1 hour ago, StarksInTheNorth said:

This isn't a question that we'd have to ask if they'd shown more than a head!!! I know that they just finished filming recently, but I feel like a shot of several dragons flying over the city and/or the Dragonpit would've been a *great* scene to set apart HOTD from GOT. The main draw for this show (compared to the canceled Stark show) is almost certainly "We Have Dragons" so I'm disappointed we only got the one head and a focus on the politics. This may also be a thought I'm having since I've been wondering again how the hell Rhaenyra lost when she had 13 v. 6 dragons, but oh well. Hopefully the show expands on that to make it somewhat more realistic. Either way, I'm here for it.

I don't think it is a question we have to ask. I honestly (because the terrible ending we had for GoT) think an entire reboot would've been better. But look how they didn't dare touch the Iron Throne. They extended it (in a way one can even imagine people got rid of that part), but they didn't make it the books IT. Which would've been massive, dangerous to climb because of the edge of those many swords. That didn't happen. 

I suppose they intentionally didn't show us dragons. Not that it would've been hard to ads a scene for a teaser. One scene would've required no time. I don't think they couldn't ads one if they wanted to. 

5 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Robert didn't have it. Littlefinger had it and Robert got it from him.

If you're willing to believe Littlefinger. 

4 hours ago, StarksInTheNorth said:

I'm very much of the opinion that they shouldn't explain it and just let it be an easter egg. There's no need to explain every little detail and I'd rather they focus on the big details. But if they do, Ormund Hightower did wield the family's Valyrian sword, Vigilance, during the war. Maybe they remake it as a Valyrian dagger?

Vigilance was lost during the DotD, wasn't it? Plus, if I recall correctly it was lost somewhere in the Reach, so it would be more logical for some lord to pick it up and keep it, instead of sending it to KL. 

16 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

That really happened. August 23.

The cringe is strong in these ones. 

So I'm thinking that if Vaemond is Corlys's brother, not nephew, Corlys either must be an asshole or Vaemond must be totally unfit to be the next lord for Corlys to push to legitimize Addam and Alyn. As a nephew, I can kinda see it, but brother...

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So I'm thinking that if Vaemond is Corlys's brother, not nephew, Corlys either must be an asshole or Vaemond must be totally unfit to be the next lord for Corlys to push to legitimize Addam and Alyn. As a nephew, I can kinda see it, but brother...

One presumes that if they keep the timeline, Vaemond is dead in 126 AC, 3 years before Addam and Alyn are brought forward. In this case, Vaemond is protesting at Rhaenyra's erstwhile sons by Laenor being Corlys's heirs, which obviously is much more of a problem since he calls them bastard and risks invalidating their claim to the throne as well.

Am I the only one that thinks Rhaenyra looks older than Daemon in the shot on the beach?  Maybe it's just the lighting or Matt Smith's boyishness, I dunno, but thought it was weird.

Something tells me this show is going to be like Westworld and have a two year gap between each season instead of one. 

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

Am I the only one that thinks Rhaenyra looks older than Daemon in the shot on the beach?  Maybe it's just the lighting or Matt Smith's boyishness, I dunno, but thought it was weird.

I thought Alicent looked way too young. Maybe the make-up department needs to do some work there. But who knows, maybe if there are gaps between each season, the actors will age better into the roles. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I don't really see it and think it's more of Matt's boyishness, but Rhaenyra is supposed to look worse and worse with each pregnancy so depending when this is, it makes some sense (though I think the actress is gorgeous and absolutely perfect for Rhaenyra).

Does anybody else also no longer/not like the Iron Throne and the throne room as such?

Yes, the throne is slightly better than in the show, but in the images the throne room is just bleak and empty, and that in a in the most prosperous time of Westerosi history. They should have gone with colorful and gay and fun. Viserys I was a party king, and his court would be ruled by fun and laughter, with the poison and resentment simmering in the dark places and the shadows, which the light from the eyes of the gracious king didn't reach ... or something along those lines.

But perhaps the whole Velaryon confrontation thing caught me on the wrong foot. This really seems like something that wouldn't happen in that era. Nobody would try to confront or intimidate King Viserys. They might complain, but they would do it politely, and Viserys would be nice and friendly and fun even if he told you 'Go fuck yourself.'

If we think about him as a character, there should only very few instances where he is actually visibly angry. When he learns about the 'heir for a day' line, when Rhaenyra refuses to marry Laenor, and when the Velaryons dare to call his grandsons bastards.

In the other instances he might be grumpy and annoyed, but he wouldn't really do something rash or threaten somebody.

Quick speculation / thought after I dived back into F&B: what if the Daemon/Rhaenyra scene on the beach is them talking after Laena's death? My evidence:

• Rhaenyra was present for the stillbirth and Laena's death, explaining her presence there
  • Daemon and Rhaenyra both look upset. Rhaenyra was close to Laena, Daemon either was or is upset over the loss of his son.
  • It can't be news of Viserys' death because Rhaenyra would still be somewhat on bedrest because of her lost pregnancy.
  • We know they're doing multiple timelines (or maybe parallel ones). Using Laena's death at the start to jumpstart the events of the future timeline would make sense since we've seen the Velaryon boys in leaks.
  • Rhaenyra is approaching Daemon, maybe to comfort him?

Okay it's not actually that much information to go off, but I'm sticking to it for now.

49 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Does anybody else also no longer/not like the Iron Throne and the throne room as such?

Yes, the throne is slightly better than in the show, but in the images the throne room is just bleak and empty, and that in a in the most prosperous time of Westerosi history. They should have gone with colorful and gay and fun. Viserys I was a party king, and his court would be ruled by fun and laughter, with the poison and resentment simmering in the dark places and the shadows, which the light from the eyes of the gracious king didn't reach ... or something along those lines.

But perhaps the whole Velaryon confrontation thing caught me on the wrong foot. This really seems like something that wouldn't happen in that era. Nobody would try to confront or intimidate King Viserys. They might complain, but they would do it politely, and Viserys would be nice and friendly and fun even if he told you 'Go fuck yourself.'

If we think about him as a character, there should only very few instances where he is actually visibly angry. When he learns about the 'heir for a day' line, when Rhaenyra refuses to marry Laenor, and when the Velaryons dare to call his grandsons bastards.

In the other instances he might be grumpy and annoyed, but he wouldn't really do something rash or threaten somebody.

I didn't get "confrontation" vibes from the scene. More like "we're making a grand Cinderella entrance, bitches." 

One of the most hilariously inept trailer reactions I've ever seen produced by a mainstream news site: Looper

I didn't find this myself, another Westeros YouTube channel Gray Area, she pointed it out to the rest of us. Then it started making the rounds on social media for how comically inept it is. These morons had TWO YEARS to prepare for this, and...they clearly didn't bother to google anything, and even someone who just watched the Game of Thrones TV show would have known this stuff. It's actually based on an equally bad text article: 

https://www.looper.com/623877/small-details-you-missed-in-the-first-house-of-the-dragon-teaser-trailer/

• Considers it a major point that "Dragonstone will feature prominently"...then proceeds to show and describe the feast scene...in which the Iron Throne is clearly visible. Later in the same video they repeat the same image and even point out the Iron Throne.
  • Didn't know what the sword Blackfyre was, clearly just reading off a wiki article, saying "we can probably expect this series to show the Blackfyre Rebellion".
  • At some considerable length, assumes that because Otto Hightower is Hand of the King, he's a Ned Stark type character, a good advisor trying to restrain the corrupt and insane Targaryen kings. When he's more comparable to Tywin Lannister. Didn't they bother to GOOGLE "Otto Hightower"?  They're just reading off the casting sheet!  Why do we bother making fan guides!
  • Doesn't know what the golden sunburst on blue heraldry is at the tournament. It's House Lefford, and even appeared in Game of Thrones before....meaning that even TV show heraldry guides have images of it. Rather than google "Westeros - heraldry" or something...he not only fails to identify it, but concludes by saying "it's probably a forerunner of House Tarth".
  • Openly admits "we don't know why Alicent is angry in this trailer" even though EVERYONE can hazard a guess it's when Aemond gets his eye slashed.....to reiterate, this video is titled, "Things Only Real Fans Noticed in the Trailer" :)

I don't know how they have jobs.  Read the comments section it's full of fans ripping Looper's "analysis" apart.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:42 AM, StarksInTheNorth said:

I didn't get "confrontation" vibes from the scene. More like "we're making a grand Cinderella entrance, bitches." 

With none of them smiling that's not the vibe I got.

Thinking a little bit more about the Vaemond issue:

I think they could condense things so that the Driftmark succession crisis breaks out immediately after Laenor's funeral. There we get the quarrel of the boys, and the first time Rhaenyra's sons are publicly called 'Strongs' - by members of the royal family, no less. The whole thing is out in the open and the king has to make a ruling.

At the same time, both trueborn children of Corlys Velaryon of Driftmark are dead. He would have to name a new heir (and it is kind of odd that he didn't do that in book but waited years and years and didn't even acknowledge an heir when he seemed to be dying in 126 AC).

The way to play up the role of Vaemond would be twofold:

1. Vaemond wanted to be Lord of Driftmark the entire time, didn't get along with Laenor, and actually is the guy who paid Qarl Correy to murder Laenor. With Laena already dead, Corlys no longer has a legitimate heir of his own body.

2. With the 'Strong story' out in the open after the funeral, Vaemond demands to be acknowledged as heir to Driftmark then and there, resulting in Rhaenyra and Daemon killing him, and Viserys I cutting out some tongues.

If Vaemond was the guy behind Laenor's death this could also better help explain why Corlys stood with Rhaenyra and Daemon.

Archived