Editing the show to be more faithful to the books

WhatAnArtist!

On 11/11/2021 at 12:28 AM, Lord Lannister said:

Season 7 I gave the benefit of the doubt and the show could've still bounced back even with a season 8 that was on par with season 6. But season 8.... yeah. I think I can sum up the White Walker subplot as seven years of foreplay ending with one spurt of premature ejaculation. 

lol

A lot of the problems in seasons 7 and 8 were actually caused by season 6. Westeros felt so empty and small and rushed in season 7 that an epic, apocalyptic, brutal finale that makes the Red Wedding look like a light dinner was impossible in season 8.

22 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

lol

A lot of the problems in seasons 7 and 8 were actually caused by season 6. Westeros felt so empty and small and rushed in season 7 that an epic, apocalyptic, brutal finale that makes the Red Wedding look like a light dinner was impossible in season 8.

In general the show always felt a lot emptier and smaller than the world of the books. In a way it's inevitable - it was impossible for the show to cast the literally thousands of side characters mentioned off-hand in the books - but the end result was still disappointing. Martin is perhaps unrivaled in literary history for how effortlessly he makes side characters memorable and distinct even when they barely show up, and it felt like so much wasted potential when D&D cut out 95% of them.

1 hour ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

In general the show always felt a lot emptier and smaller than the world of the books. In a way it's inevitable - it was impossible for the show to cast the literally thousands of side characters mentioned off-hand in the books - but the end result was still disappointing. Martin is perhaps unrivaled in literary history for how effortlessly he makes side characters memorable and distinct even when they barely show up, and it felt like so much wasted potential when D&D cut out 95% of them.

Walking Dead always did a good job of introducing secondary characters and redshirts at the beginning of the season and weaving them deeply into the narrative before killing them off at the end of the season or in the next season.

They didn't have to bring a bunch of Lannisters into the show. But having Daven, Gemma, Emmon and one of the Frey/Lannister boys would've really gone a long way.

11 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

They didn't have to bring a bunch of Lannisters into the show. But having Daven, Gemma, Emmon and one of the Frey/Lannister boys would've really gone a long way.

Oh gods, please don't remind me of how they butchered Jaime's Feast storyline. The wound is still too fresh. I waited for years to see his riverlands campaign on-screen, and what we got was..... no.

12 hours ago, Feologild said:

I know people will disagree with me, but i don`t think adaption needs to be that faithful to the books.

As far as i am concerned the books and the adaption is set in two different universes.  

How faithful does an adaptation need to be in order for it to be considered a good adaptation?

• 2 weeks later...

The problem the show faced was that the books were/are unfinished. Of course the show runners just couldn't care less about plot or characters, thats true as well. But even with all the mistakes, seasons 6 and 7 were not all that terrible in my opinion. In fact they were pretty good. Not as good as the earlier seasons, but good nonetheless. Season 8 was a disaster. But if they had produced 10 episodes for season 8 or gone into season 9, with writers that would take the time to understand each individual main character to give the show a satisfying ending, this could have been a decent adaptation.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:45 AM, Angel Eyes said:

Faithful enough; it can't be like Eragon where the characters barely resemble their canon counterparts.

Which is exactly what happened.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:44 AM, Feologild said:

Between 50 and 100% faithful to the book,

50%?!

Halfway faithful is not faithful.

That's like calling a movie that is halfway good and halfway bad a good movie.

On 12/16/2021 at 4:10 PM, BlackLightning said:

Which is exactly what happened.

50%?!

Halfway faithful is not faithful.

That's like calling a movie that is halfway good and halfway bad a good movie.

You should read that other comment i made in this thread.

Archived