The Expanse #6: better to go down swinging than rolling over

AncalagonTheBlack

I love this show, but I was beyond upset

they killed Alex. I know why they did it, given what his actor allegedly did, but I wish they would just have recasted him. He has probably one of my favorite story arcs in the 8th novel and now that's going to be almost impossible to adapt.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:35 PM, GallowKnight said:

I can't believe they gave Marcos a man-bun.

Once he'd killed hundreds of millions of people, it was the only thing they could do to make him more despicable as a villain.

I'm interested to see how this season goes. From watching season 5, it seems that the showrunners didn't know they would only have one more season to wrap things up. I think it's going to be very hard for them to wrap up both the Inaros and protomolecule plotlines with so little time. My expectations aren't super high, but I'm sure it'll at least be enjoyable.

2 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I'm interested to see how this season goes. From watching season 5, it seems that the showrunners didn't know they would only have one more season to wrap things up. I think it's going to be very hard for them to wrap up both the Inaros and protomolecule plotlines with so little time. My expectations aren't super high, but I'm sure it'll at least be enjoyable.

From interviews I've read it seems they did know. I don't expect the protomolecule timeline to be fully wrapped, though a satisfying end with a door left open is viable.

What about the climax of the story? i.e. The final three books? 

Why would you omit the best bit of the story? It's like doing a Lord of the Rings trilogy, without bothering to adapt Return of the King. 

This is all very unsatisfactory.

Edited by Spockydog

18 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

What about the climax of the story? i.e. The final three books? 

Why would you omit the best bit of the story? It's like doing a Lord of the Rings trilogy, without bothering to adapt Return of the King. 

This is all very unsatisfactory.

I think the biggest issues with adapting the final 3 books is the

30 year time skip. You'd either have to use old people makeup or recast everyone. Neither choice is particularly good, IMO.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

I think the biggest issues with adapting the final 3 books is the

Reveal hidden contents

30 year time skip. You'd either have to use old people makeup or recast everyone. Neither choice is particularly good, IMO.

I would say that failing to finish telling the story is worse. And pretty fucking weird, given the resources available to Amazon and the fact that Bezos is a huge fan. 

Unless there is some big reveal planned about another production to finalise the story, this has to go down as a failure. 

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

I would say that failing to finish telling the story is worse. And pretty fucking weird, given the resources available to Amazon and the fact that Bezos is a huge fan. 

Unless there is some big reveal planned about another production to finalise the story, this has to go down as a failure. 

That still doesn't solve the problem of how you do the final 3 books in live action. I honestly don't know which one I'd prefer, because both choices honestly suck.

3 minutes ago, sifth said:

That still doesn't solve the problem of how you do the final 3 books in live action. I honestly don't know which one I'd prefer, because both choices honestly suck.

I've not read the final books, but unless all the characters turn into something that 'looks a bit like a squid', I fail to see why filming anything in live action would be a problem in the 2020s.

Edited by Spockydog