The Expanse #6: better to go down swinging than rolling over

AncalagonTheBlack

3 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

How r they going to wrap this up in a few more eps?

Quite unsatisfactorily, would be my bet.

I've said it before, Amazon done 'em dirty. Truncating (and essentially pissing all over) the final season of a well-loved show has never ended badly, has it?

Edited by Spockydog

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

No. This season is only going to cover the remainder of book 6 (Babylon's Ashes) + the short story Strange Dogs. The incident you refer to occurs between books 7 and 8 timeline wise.

good

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Quite unsatisfactorily, would be my bet.

I've said it before, Amazon done 'em dirty. Truncating (and essentially pissing all over) the final season of a well-loved show has never ended badly, has it?

It was my belief Jeff Bezos was a fan and saved the show. I thought at least he might have asked for more episodes.

13 minutes ago, Ran said:

Drummer (almost) saying the Martell words was such a great surprise I had to stop by before finishing the episode to remark on it. Cool nod to GRRM. 

There is also a martian navy ship known as the RR Martin :P

12 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

There is also a martian navy ship known as the RR Martin

Hah. Missed that one. Funny.

12 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

It was my belief Jeff Bezos was a fan and saved the show. I thought at least he might have asked for more episodes.

He is and he did, but I think at some point Prime executives made the call that there had to be an end to the charity. While I, too, would have preferred 8 episodes in the season, I'm not really sure it would have been enough to properly serve the series wrap-up. 8 episodes? 10? 12? We're talking about treading water, which makes it actually sounds like maybe it needed fewer episodes, not more, but I'm not sure that's true.

I don't really fully understand what Marco's intention was with the supply depots. Just watching out for the Free Navy over all else?

12 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Apparently Michio is better with the hands on stuff than she is with the computer terminals.  So to speak.

Oh, I liked that, actually. It's more the context of what was going on -- she doesn't want to kill people, she's a medic and scavenger, not a fighter -- but it shows that she's just a wilting flower and it shows why she was in the polyamorous group to begin with. I thought that was pretty good.

I do wish she had grabbed something to stuff under that box once they lifted it enough, so that it didn't just crush his arm a second time...

Speaking of his arm, I forgot that they can regrow them given time.

Edited by Ran

6 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Show watcher here, Ive heard (book spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

chrisjen dies in the books?

Will they do that in the show too? How r they going to wrap this up in a few more eps?

Spoiler

She just dies of old age in the books, long after Laconia takes over the galaxy. This isn't going to be covered by the show.

According to various people involved, it sounds like when Amazon resurrected the show they asked for a timeframe on wrapping it up, and they decided to say 3 more seasons then rather than 6 to do the whole thing, which they felt was unrealistic, so 3 more was what they were aiming for from the second of the pickup. I'm sure if the show had done absolutely stellar numbers for Amazon, they would have been open for a renegotiation for the back three seasons, but that appears to not be on the cards (despite Season 4 apparently doing extremely well for Amazon, but Season 5 seems to have done lower numbers, presumably why they decided to stop as planned after Season 6 with a reduced episode order).

The show is probably suffering from the profit-sharing issue, where Amazon is sharing the show's success with Alcon, and as that success dwindles the argument for making the show becomes more problematic (WoT may face this down the road, with Amazon sharing their success with Sony, but Sony are a much bigger company and much more capable of cutting deals or even producing the show themselves if they deem it worthwhile).

Again, even if they don't, it kind of explicitly tells people that there's more story out there... so go and buy the books already.

I really don't understand the resistance to acknowledging in the series that there's more of a story out there by leaving some loose ends. The only negative I can see is that maybe they should have used those 5 minute segments for the main story, but again, some feel like the show is treading water anyway, so what are five minutes more per episode for the main story really going to do? 

I dunno, some might argue that cutting large sections of plot from the book they are supposed to be adapting, whilst simultaneously devoting chunks of screentime to stuff that might never see the light of day, as well as hiding away another bunch of scenes behind obscure interface technologies, is somehow doing a disservice to the people who've supported them for the past five years. Of course, ymmv. 

Edited by Spockydog

What "large section of the plot" could be served by taking the first 4-5 minutes of each episode and devoting it to that instead?

The X-ray debacle is silly, but not really the fault of Alcorn, and in any case all of these scenes are literally side scenes and not particularly important to the story either. 

For one, I would have loved to have seen more than a sixty-second video call of Prax's storyline. Quite apart from the fact that this season feels like an epilogue to last season, everything feels undercooked.

And the xray thing is bullshit. Whose idea was that? You're telling me they couldn't have put those scenes into the episodes? They are 45 minutes long.

Anyway, from the outside looking in, it looks like Amazon screwed them. As for Alcon, well, they made their choices and this is the result. 

Edited by Spockydog

13 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And the xray thing is bullshit. Whose idea was that? You're telling me they couldn't have put those scenes into the episodes?

Per interviews, it was Amazon's idea and Amazon provided the funding for it as an X-ray exclusive.

Would it have been better if Amazon just didn't pick up the series? Did people feel season 3 was a good place to end it? I just find it hard to really blame them. Well, besides the fact that X-Ray doesn't work on TVs or whatever, but honestly, most everyone has a computer or at least a mobile phone, just watch it on that. Is it really such a hassle?

Frankly, it would have been better if they hadn't let syfy anywhere near their IP. That was their biggest mistake. 

And as for xray, they deliberately made it a pain in the arse for a bunch of fans to view that content. Just seems really unnecessary.

Edited by Spockydog

I for one am glad for the extra 3 seasons, we've gotten some of the best moments in the books in a fashion that I'm happy with and I'm far happier with Babylon's Ashes as a stopping point than I was with the opening of the gates.

And we got to see more of Camina Drummer unbowed, unbroken, unbent which is worth two seasons on its own. I love most of the cast but of all of them I hope Cara gets some breakout success from it.

14 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Frankly, it would have been better if they hadn't let syfy anywhere near their IP. That was their biggest mistake. 

So you mean you'd rather that it simply was never made? I can understand that perspective, if you really think it was butchered from the start. 

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

So you mean you'd rather that it simply was never made? I can understand that perspective, if you really think it was butchered from the start. 

No.

In a world where a whole bunch of TV companies are throwing $$$$$$$$$ at other, far less worthy IP, I'd rather they had retained enough confidence in their source material to resist the overtures from a joke of a channel that, let's face it, everybody knew was going to cancel their arses at the first sign of a dip in ratings.

The moment they got cancelled they became damaged goods and never fully recovered from that. Hence the questionable deals that have now forced them into abandoning the adaptation of their story at the beginning of the final act.

43 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

No.

In a world where a whole bunch of TV companies are throwing $$$$$$$$$ at other, far less worthy IP, I'd rather they had retained enough confidence in their source material to resist the overtures from a joke of a channel that, let's face it, everybody knew was going to cancel their arses at the first sign of a dip in ratings.

The moment they got cancelled they became damaged goods and never fully recovered from that. Hence the questionable deals that have now forced them into abandoning the adaptation of their story at the beginning of the final act.

If we're being honest, the odds of any show that requires the production values of something like The Expanse getting nine seasons is insanely unlikely to begin with.  Game of Thrones was a rare exception (I know it only got eight seasons, but it absolutely could have gotten ten if the showrunners hadn't been looking ahead), and that was a cultural phenomenon in a way The Expanse is not.

The Expanse is lucky it got six seasons and a chance to wrap up one of the show's central plot lines in a (probably) adequate fashion.  Yeah, it sucks we'll probably never see the final three seasons, but it's still easily one of the best science fiction shows ever made and I doubt either of the authors are dissatisfied with the end product, even if it didn't get to cover all nine books.

Edited by briantw