The Expanse #6: better to go down swinging than rolling over

AncalagonTheBlack

What is the problem with accessing the X-ray thing? My problem is that it clearly looks half-assed, as you can't enable subtitles for it. I do have Amazon devices, though, so I got no problem accessing it. It's worse on the PC, as it also lacks a full screen option.

I mean I agree that syfy is a garbage channel that cancels good shows for shitty network american network tv reasons that remain arcane to me. On the other hand I'm glad we got a damn good show, which was enough of a breakout to get an extra three seasons from Amazon, and which brought us Cara Gee's Drummer.

I though syfy did fine adapting the series. The only complaint I would have is that they added some padding in there to give more eps, and I don't know that it was necessary. They absolutely nailed Eros and Miller's are, they did a good job with Caliban, and they made abaddon's gate more compelling than the source material and gave us more drummer and Ashford. The casting has been great, Wes Chatham is a fucking legend, and somehow they managed to find Frankie Adams and she did great too. 

I am sad about a few things that we will seemingly miss in this season:(book spoilers)

Spoiler

In particular I think we will miss most of the battles around the belt, we miss the Anderson dawes political maneuvering, the constant attrition of Marcos and his side, and a few more badass moments with Michio (or drummer in our case). Especially with her being total badass pirate. I also have no idea how they're going to satisfactorily have the ring battle and then the landing work out and then have Marcos and his fleet rush there. 

I'm also a bit annoyed about sanjrani and how we are missing someone talking about the collapse of the entire system. That gave Marcos actions some real selfish weight and showed how he cared nothing for kingdom building, and I think that's important.

I think we will get some Cliffnotes of some of this, but a lot will be missing or feel rushed and not epic, and when you do that AND have 10 min per ep devoted to xray and an irrelevant side plot its hard not to feel like they're wasting some time they actually did have.  

If you're watching on a browser you can access the 'One Ship' webisodes by first starting a season 6 episode as normal, pause it, go into xray features and under bonus contents it lists the four that have been released so far. It doesn't show up if you are just looking at the full episode list before initiating the show. Sadly, there doesn't appear to be any way to access the xray features if watching The Expanse via the Amazon app on a roku (at least not the one I have anyway).

I did find myself constantly wondering if Dawes was about to make a surprise appearance. All the talk of prisoners on the ship, Jared Harris being nostalgic about working on the show on social media and the seeming silliness of killing Dawes off-screen made me think we might get something, even if it was a single 5-minute cameo. I know he's been busy, but not that busy (his "starring role" on Foundation was probably filmed in a week max).

But yeah, Season 6 is in a weird place of simultaneously being too short and also too slow. It feels like we're getting an extended highlight reel of the show's greatest hits (here's a space battle, here's a Prax cameo, he's the Roci crew bantering) rather than a buildup to a grand finale. Some of that is in the source material as well, where Babylon's Ashes feels like an extended epilogue to Nemesis Games more than a book in its own right.

Also, I think the show has snookered itself over Hollywood contract law (which would be with Alcon, not SyFy/Amazon). After Season 6 they'd need to renegotiate cast salaries on a year-by-year basis and for a show that's doing well enough to survive but not making a ton of profit, there's not a lot of room to maneuver and they might have found themselves making the show too expensive to produce around Season 7 or 8 and been cancelled anyway.

OTOH, their apparently current plan of ending at 6 and if there's a continuation it will be a different series or TV movies or something, so they can renegotiate from scratch (and with the timejump, recast if necessary).

On 12/31/2021 at 4:07 AM, Lord of Oop North said:

Great episode. Overall plot didn't move much, but I like when this show doesn't rush and let's its characters work. Lots of good scenes.

Bobbie/Amos with the music, good touch.

Holden/Naomi scene was excellent.

Camina Drummer. Belta lik pashang!

No idea how they will resolve Laconia.

I don't think they will resolve Laconia. That feels like a setup for some sort of a continulation and tells me that there are very much hoping to get it, whether it is a TV (streaming) movie or multiple movies, or a new season somewhere else, or some sort of a spinoff or whatever.

I find it beyond strange that they actually introduced Durate on this show, despite it being on the verge of ending. He's a supper important character in the final 3 books, but considering how those aren't making it to the tv show, what's even the point, I wonder.

On 1/1/2022 at 8:24 AM, karaddin said:

And we got to see more of Camina Drummer unbowed, unbroken, unbent which is worth two seasons on its own. I love most of the cast but of all of them I hope Cara gets some breakout success from it.

"Live shamed, and die empty". Loved it so much I kept rewinding.

9 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

It seems to be paywalled

Try this link.

Although I just noticed that it's actually from 2019. Explains why he was writing about S4. It was noted as something new elsewhere and I ran with it. Still, interesting thoughts, though I think he's probably a little bit wrong about the situation regarding Earth's large-scale unemployment.

One other thing I wanted to give credit for is the Golden Bough pirates reaction to Michio starting to cut off Josep's arm is the first time I've ever seen a realistic [for me] reaction to that happening. No nonchalantly taking it in stride, oh fucking hell.

37 minutes ago, karaddin said:

One other thing I wanted to give credit for is the Golden Bough pirates reaction to Michio starting to cut off Josep's arm is the first time I've ever seen a realistic [for me] reaction to that happening. No nonchalantly taking it in stride, oh fucking hell.

Thought that was a bit weird honestly given that in like the first two episodes we had a guy lose their arm and get a new one just like that. 

3 minutes ago, Kalsandra said:

Thought that was a bit weird honestly given that in like the first two episodes we had a guy lose their arm and get a new one just like that. 

An instant cut off is different to watching someone saw it off without anaesthetic though

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

An instant cut off is different to watching someone saw it off without anaesthetic though

It was visceral to be sure, but even in the spot after the knife comes out before she started cutting, I assumed we were in a clone the whole arm universe.  Pretty sure there was a guy on the Cant that could have grown his arm back except spoiler Cant gets atomized.  That was a book thing about a decade before my hip issues so skipped the tag.