The Expanse #6: better to go down swinging than rolling over

AncalagonTheBlack

I loved the finale. I do feel like the whole season was rushed but that was inevitable given the 6 episodes. I think the writers made the right choice in choosing to focus on Marco and the Free Navy plot, leaving the protomolecule and Laconia - which are not so urgent and pressing issues - in the sidelines.

Spoiler

I absolutely loved seeing Bobbie and Clarissa as part of the crew, Holden and Naomi's relationship, and Drummer taking on that role. This show really shines when it comes to the character moments imo. Naomi's voice over at the end was really great (interesting that seasons 2 and 5 also sort of ended with a voiceover from her; well in season 5 it wasn't the last scene but yeah). There were also some nice callbacks to the earlier seasons in these episodes. Also loved the nods to Alex especially in the finale when Bobbie says that he told her the Roci wasn't stolen - it just chose worthy people to fly her....what a great line. It was just really, really nice and satisfying. I look forward to reading the books.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:22 AM, Werthead said:

How the hell they'll handle LotR though is another question. There isn't a single book the story is based on, and the closest equivalents, The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, I think will be fairly offputting to the general audience.

The American publisher is going to release new "media tie-in" editions of The Lord of the Rings trilogy in July. Maybe these paperbacks are tie-ins to Amazon's LotR series.

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0593500482

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0593500490

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0593500504

34 minutes ago, Werthead said:

On Twitter, Ty said that if they get to do a followup, they won't be doing the timeskip in 5 years, it'll still be 30 but they'll use the explanation of the better medical tech to explain why people don't look 30 years older.

And as far as Clarissa goes, they could easily just say that she beat her projection and is somehow still alive.  That's not unheard of.  

3 hours ago, briantw said:

And as far as Clarissa goes, they could easily just say that she beat her projection and is somehow still alive.  That's not unheard of.  

Plus, Clarissa is in really rough shape in book 7, so it's not like they'd completely ignore it.

The problem with the 30 year jump was never using similar actors - it was that after 30 years nothing of note has changed for any of them in a universe that has seen absurd, massive changes in that same time. 

No new crew despite them taking on multiple new crew in the previous books. 

No pets. 

No kids (other than Alex being an asshole)

Nothing.

I get why they needed to do 30 years. It isn't about Laconia - Laconia has magic factories that can in theory make whatever they want in a handwavey way. No, the 30 years is to make sure that the colonies have expanded. You can't plausibly have things like Auberon or Bara Gaon in 5 years time - no colonization works like that. 30 years is probably a bit fast but it is at least plausible. And for the last trilogy to work they need the colonies. 

1 hour ago, Kalibuster said:

I get why they needed to do 30 years. It isn't about Laconia - Laconia has magic factories that can in theory make whatever they want in a handwavey way. No, the 30 years is to make sure that the colonies have expanded. You can't plausibly have things like Auberon or Bara Gaon in 5 years time - no colonization works like that. 30 years is probably a bit fast but it is at least plausible. And for the last trilogy to work they need the colonies. 

To be fair, in the books it took Laconia years to grow their warships. I believe the Magnetar-Class ships in particular took an extremely long time to make/grow. So long, that even after 30 years Laconia only has 3, with a 4th one started, but nowhere near completed.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

To be fair, in the books it took Laconia years to grow their warships. I believe the Magnetar-Class ships in particular took an extremely long time to make/grow. So long, that even after 30 years Laconia only has 3, with a 4th one started, but nowhere near completed.

Sure, but that's just what they said. It doesn't have to be that way. And it isn't particularly implausible for the factory to be able to make massive space ships quickly given that they have the tech to basically alter matter atomically and almost instantly to other forms.

They could just as easily say it takes them a week to make a destroyer and a year to make a magnetar. And then 5 years later you're hosed.

5 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Sure, but that's just what they said. It doesn't have to be that way. And it isn't particularly implausible for the factory to be able to make massive space ships quickly given that they have the tech to basically alter matter atomically and almost instantly to other forms.

They could just as easily say it takes them a week to make a destroyer and a year to make a magnetar. And then 5 years later you're hosed.

That type of logic, just makes Laconia seem too OP if you ask me. They already have the strongest ships in the universe. The fact that they take an extremely long time to create, at least gives the good guys a chance.

Edited by sifth

40 minutes ago, sifth said:

That type of logic, just makes Laconia seem too OP if you ask me. They already have the strongest ships in the universe. The fact that they take an extremely long time to create, at least gives the good guys a chance.

Thirty years also gives them ample time to reproduce and populate their military with younger talent.

It never bothered me, but I think there's a very good chance they would make some changes in the adaptation that addressed these things. Especially with Alex gone in the show, they can bring in a new pilot and maybe a partner for Bobbie, a couple of other things like that.

Drummers polyam belter fam will probably have grown again and she might not even still be the President of the TU. Hell, maybe they'll have Michio in the role by then, I actually think the personality they gave her in the show could very easily grow into that sort of role.

I stalled out on reading the series years back. I think I got as far as Babylon's Ashes but after finishing that one I just didn't feel the need to read any more. The story was fine but I just enjoyed the writing less and less with each book. It has been great to see the show do justice to and improve on the books in some ways. 

We watched S6 over a weekend and on the whole found it was a pretty satisfying end to the show. I actually started trying to read book 7 last year but just could not get into it and gave up so I'm not that fussed about what comes after (i.e. not seeing the later stuff from the books on screen) - I think they tied things up as best they could in the time. Just kind of wish that Filip had been dissolved as well.

I enjoyed the finale, although it didn't really feel like the end 'cause I know the books go on.

But in some ways I got some things from this finale that I wanted to get but didn't from the GoT finale.

The scene where Holden gets offered the role of President gave me feelings that I wanted to get from GoT but instead got the anti-climax of Bran becoming king. Then the part where Holden resigns was also great, a very Jon Snow moment.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:25 AM, Scott_N said:

EW interview with Naren Shankar. I chose to believe in a continuation based on that.

The Expanse showrunner answers series finale burning questions

Spoiler

I love that change from the book. If memory serves, I don't think he's ever heard from or seen again in the books.

He's not. He only comes in in the novella, Auberon.  (Referencing Fillip)

Did i miss something in that story or the writer get something wrong?  And why hasn't anyone else asked this?

Caught the finale, and I'll go against the grain by saying it seemed a bit too rushed for me, and included some contrived plot points that seemed out of character with the nuanced nature of the show thus far.

I think I am most annoyed by how quickly the 'final battle' was done with. No spoilers, but it was essentially some off screen stuff followed by a push of the button.

9 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Caught the finale, and I'll go against the grain by saying it seemed a bit too rushed for me, and included some contrived plot points that seemed out of character with the nuanced nature of the show thus far.

I think I am most annoyed by how quickly the 'final battle' was done with. No spoilers, but it was essentially some off screen stuff followed by a push of the button.

What? If you're talking about what happens to Marco's ship, there wasn't a battle in the book either. It was just that. The actual final battle was properly shown.

Edited by Corvinus85