German and Austrian politics: Twilight of the conservative parties

Luzifer's right hand

Things should be interesting...

Kurz will remain party leader and will also take leadership of the ÖVP in our parliament. 

He gets immunity from prosecution but the ÖVP claims that he will request for waiver of immunity himself. 

The new chancellor is nominally an independent(but was nominated by the ÖVP for his current post of foreign minister) which might sound good but it mainly means that there is not faction in the ÖVP he can depend on and he is completely at the mercy of Kurz. Looks like a bit of a Putin/Medvedev move at this point. But once Kurz ist not longer in charge of the goverment his internal enemies might come out of the woodwork and support the new chancellor. 

It is a shitty outcome but the maybe the best possible at this point. Although the Greens should have tried to get rid of the finance minister too as they are also prosecuting him for the same thing and it is the ministry where most of the evidence is found. But I think that they were surprised that Kurz caved in(I think there was pressure from his own party and the president) and demanding more for continuing the goverment might have been too much. Nobody on the Green side wants to work with the FPÖ.

I think it is a win for the Greens(and the President I guess who is still green at heart) but also the best possible outcome at this point for Kurz. The SPÖ and NEOs lost the gamble I feel because talking with the FPÖ pissed a lot of people off. 

Edit: There are already two stories from ÖVP sources. One that is all the idea of Kurz because the Greens gave him no choice and that he did it for the GREATER GOOD or that the regional leaders of the ÖVP got together and more or less forced Kurz to resign to avoid a collapse of the government and a 4 way coalition without the ÖVP.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

On 10/10/2021 at 3:12 AM, kiko said:

Nah it's fine. As long as the right people are voted or kicked out of their respective governments...

Anyway, a lot of CDU and especially CSU politicians took Kurz as their role model. One can hope this is still true

Tho, I think they meant it as in, a charimastic leader is all it takes for them to regain their strength.

Deutsche Führerkomplex. Kinda funny that they turn to Austria again, historically speaking.

Moving on from the tragic-comic relief south of the border.

Our own right wing nutjobs have made news.

Meuthen has thrown in the towel, and won't ne running for party chair of our beloved Neo-Nazi party. One of his predecessors, Petry, has been convicted of fraud.

And the Police Union is whining about the parties involved in the coalition talks contemplating the legalization of cannabis.

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And the Police Union is whining about the parties involved in the coalition talks contemplating the legalization of cannabis.

Of course they would. They might have to actually solve real crimes. And deal with people who can not be convinced of a revenue sharing model.

12 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Tho, I think they meant it as in, a charimastic leader is all it takes for them to regain their strength.

Deutsche Führerkomplex. Kinda funny that they turn to Austria again, historically speaking.

Moving on from the tragic-comic relief south of the border.

Our own right wing nutjobs have made news.

Meuthen has thrown in the towel, and won't ne running for party chair of our beloved Neo-Nazi party. One of his predecessors, Petry, has been convicted of fraud.

Why would the police complain about legalization of cannabis? Here in Canada they were for it as it relieved them of work that meant nothing in the long run.

9 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Why would the police complain about legalization of cannabis? Here in Canada they were for it as it relieved them of work that meant nothing in the long run.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, already one legal drug alcohol, something, something, gateway drug for youngsters.

That's about it.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yadda, yadda, yadda, already one legal drug alcohol, something, something, gateway drug for youngsters.

That's about it.

Enforcing laws because they hurt left wing scum is a reward by itself. Otherwise there might be resources available to focus on right wing violence! Can you imagine?

Doesn't even need to do that. Everywhere I am baffled to see people complaining about how the absurdly risen fuel and heating prices are all the fault of the Greens, somehow, despite the new coalition not even having formed yet and it's mostly derived from the gas and oil shortage due to Asia (China) buying out the market (and the idiocy of the German providers not stocking up in summer and now punishing the consumers for it). Not quite sure where this originates from, but I did notice yesterday when switching to RTL group derived news they were quick to start their segment with blaming the CO² tax before bringing in an interview with a woman who then stated the actual reasons.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:04 AM, maarsen said:

In America its because the police are some of the few people who believe the anti-drug propoganda, and because they're worried that no drug war means lower budgets.

Also they won't be able to rob drug dealers or collect their hush money bribes.

I am more curious how on earth the enxt goverment is supposed to accomplish anything with the Lindner's Tax Taliban involved. Investments in infrastructure and climate policies are needed. But those fiscal fuckwits insist on not raising any taxes, and also not taking out any new loans to finance stuff. Oh, yeah, also there should be tax breaks for high income households.

God I hate those motherfuckers so much. Who on earth votes for those useless twits, and thinks that Lindner would make competent (we are not talking good by stretch here) finance minister. It's quite frankly way beyond me, and the pale to be frank.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:10 PM, Luzifer's right hand said:

Is Spahn trying to set the new government up for failure? Ending all Covid-19 measures to ensure high numbers once the new government assumes office?

Smart if evil movie I guess.

Spahn is announcing all sorts of things that are supposed to get the new government in trouble. E.g. supporting really high wages for nursing home personnel.

• 4 weeks later...

We have the worst vaccination rates in western Europe and our right wing police forces seem to be the least interested in enforcement.

Completely excepted although even I was more optimistic than this.

:unsure:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/BFaast/status/1456178292923506690?s=20

Our finance minister and Kurz "Praetorian" Blümel a month ago.

The most important minister because he is in control of the funding of COVID measures.

:(

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

We have the worst vaccination rates in western Europe and our right wing police forces seem to be the least interested in enforcement.

Well, and we are only marginally better off, but on top of that have no functioning government. Söder accuses Scholz of not doing enough as the next chancellor while Scholz fires back that he is not yet chancellor and it's the CDU/CSU's job to do something (even though the SPD is still coalition partner), meanwhile Merkel carefully asks the presidents of the federal states to come together... maybe next week. It's ship without captain.

8 minutes ago, Toth said:

Well, and we are only marginally better off, but on top of that have no functioning government. Söder accuses Scholz of not doing enough as the next chancellor while Scholz fires back that he is not yet chancellor and it's the CDU/CSU's job to do something (even though the SPD is still coalition partner), meanwhile Merkel carefully asks the presidents of the federal states to come together... maybe next week. It's ship without captain.

Intentional I suspect as nobody wants the blame.

Here our puppet chancellor has orders to do as little as possible to show how shit things are without Kurz I'm starting to believe. 

19 minutes ago, Toth said:

Absolutely, but at the same time looking like kindergarten kids while have incidences of above 1100 in some regions because of vaccination rates below 70% and people forget to get the booster shots.

My state of Austria has an incidence of 1271... :(

https://www.nachrichten.at/meine-welt/gesundheit/coronavirus-aktuelle-zahlen-und-daten-auf-einen-blick;art114,3240868#Oberoesterreich

1 hour ago, Toth said:

I think that's a rather feeble excuse. The federal government's term has expired but it's still fully functional. And all the executive power lies with the state governments anyway. Merkel never did more than chair the meetings.

Edited by Loge