German and Austrian politics: Twilight of the conservative parties

Luzifer's right hand

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ahhhhh… is he offering Apologia for Putin’s actions?

You bet he does. A while ago he published an op-ed claiming this is all because of Ukraine's aggression. Which is pretty much in line with what Russian media says. When I looked up a site two days ago it was just a barrage of "Ukraine attacked this", Ukraine attacked that".

10 minutes ago, Toth said:

You bet he does. A while ago he published an op-ed claiming this is all because of Ukraine's aggression. Which is pretty much in line with what Russian media says. When I looked up a site two days ago it was just a barrage of "Ukraine attacked this", Ukraine attacked that".

He’s a Tankie?

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He’s a Tankie?

Uhm, I'm getting the impression that you think social democrats are far left because they have 'social' in their name. Well, originally they were, a hundred years ago, but Schröder is just a combination of corporate shill and narcissistic village idiot who likes the attention of him bragging with his oh so personal friendship with Putin.

Since I learned the word Tankie at the same time as you, by reading the Ukraine thread yesterday, I'm not entirely sure, but I think if you want to look for people with boners for Stalinist communism, you probably have to comb through some parts of Die Linke, though for most their anti-NATO pro-Russia stance comes across as more of a deluded attempt at pacifism in which dismantling NATO would magically make Putin go away. Though there probably are a few confused former SED members among them who somehow slept through the last three decades of Russian history.

Edited by Toth

4 minutes ago, Toth said:

Uhm, I'm getting the impression that you think social democrats are far left because they have 'social' in their name. Well, originally they were, a hundred years ago, but Schröder is just a combination of corporate shill and narcissistic village idiot who likes the attention of him bragging with his oh so personal friendship with Putin.

So, not a Tankie… just very self interested.

:(

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He’s a Tankie?

No, he is a national embarassment. Politically, he was more in line with this New Labour stuff. Company friendly Social Democrats, with this alpha male charme. Not going to discuss his political legacy, just sufficient to say, he was politically much to the right of Sanders. 

After he left politics he completed whored himself out to Putin. Those Gazprom job pays quite well obviously. He is basically a lobbyist on behalf of Putin these days. Calling him a perfectly fine Democrat (in the sense of democratic) years ago. 

The real Putin shills are to be found elsewhere these days.

AfD and Linke. The latter are kinda appaled, too. Didn't bother to check what Wagenknecht has to say, presumably some relativist horeshit about NATO expansion. 

On 2/27/2022 at 2:50 PM, Loge said:

So Scholz has announced an extra 100 billions for defence and to raise the regular defence budget to those 2% of the GDP. I wonder how much support he has in his own party for this. The Putin shills are quiet for now but how long will that last?

Germany has a long tradition of antimilitarism which has nothing to do with loving Putin. Please don't confuse these people with the Putin apologists on the far right and in some parts of the left.

Another health care minister is gone.

He survived 2 chancellors though. ;)

Just as the previous one he mentioned constant threats against him and his family and the need for constant police protection. 

He was never happy about some of the compromises to appease that anti-measure factions like our chamber of commerce he had to make. He was really easy to read with a shitty poker face.

A job nobody wants especially in a collation with a deeply corrupt party that is completely in the pocket of lobbyists.

The person who gets the position actually said the does not want it but but as the vice chancellor is a personal  friend he will do it. :bang: He won't last long either I suspect. 

Skiing and party while our health care and caretaking sector has not recovered at all from the Delta wave and the current Omicron wave is what is important in Austria.

Awesome country...:(

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

• 4 weeks later...

So one CDU governor down, two to go.

Let's see whether Wüst and Günther are off to the chopping block, too. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't give two shits about things that happen in the Saarland. No good has ever come out of that state. Usually, the shambolic performance of the CDU and the rise of the SPD for reasons that quite frankly elude me, would be the big talking point. However...

...the most remarkable thing was probably the total implosion of the so called Left. Taz comment section was/is quite something. The Wagenknecht disciples blaming it on identity politics, which pisses off the small guy, while crying about the split within their party (because of identity politics). It's amazing. 

Not to mention their elder council's press release calling Russia's war of aggression an Ukrainian civil war. Burning clown car does not even remotely begin to describe those shambles. But yeah, let's go with identity politics, that's so prevalent in their junior organizations.

I hear there is renewed talk about reunification of the left (again...). While I agree that this would be a good thing on principle, there is definitely a purge of the more crazy parts of Die Linke needed. Probably better to let their more sane members switch over to SPD and dry out their personal bases, I'm not sure the SPD would survive a reunification at the polls.

I'm quite happy to leave those, who want to discuss about identity politics (as opposed to actually doing it) in their own party - or they can join the AfD.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:15 PM, kiko said:

I hear there is renewed talk about reunification of the left (again...). While I agree that this would be a good thing on principle, there is definitely a purge of the more crazy parts of Die Linke needed. Probably better to let their more sane members switch over to SPD and dry out their personal bases, I'm not sure the SPD would survive a reunification at the polls.

I'm quite happy to leave those, who want to discuss about identity politics (as opposed to actually doing it) in their own party - or they can join the AfD.

Looks like Die Linke is toast in the west. And even in the east they're low double digits, except in Thuringia. It was obviously a mistake by the SPD not to take in former SED members back in the 1990s. But that's spilled milk. Merging the parties now? Not a smart move for the SPD.

Well, to quote gregor Gysi: We are lucky, that his party is not in goverment right now.

I mean which old SED politicians would be must haves for the SPD? Gysi, maybe. Wagenknecht, no thanks. Modrow, fuck no.

Otherwise, people switched over to the SPD in the past, even more known ones like Angela Marquardt. 

13 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And that's it for the vax mandate.

Big fuck you to Kubicki, Wagenknecht, and to all the other fascists and colaborateurs in parliament. 

In autumn the leaders of our countries will either congratulate themselves because they made the "right" decision or be surprised that the pandemic is not really over.

18 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And that's it for the vax mandate.

Big fuck you to Kubicki, Wagenknecht, and to all the other fascists and colaborateurs in parliament. 

If you need Wagenknecht, something has gone wrong quite badly. The whole thing just hasn't been handled well. If you are in government, you are supposed to have a majority. Trying to make a law against parts of his own coalition wasn't a particularly smart move by Scholz. Maybe a deal with the Christian Democrats could have been found, but he would have had to give them something in return.

1 hour ago, Loge said:

If you need Wagenknecht, something has gone wrong quite badly. The whole thing just hasn't been handled well. If you are in government, you are supposed to have a majority. Trying to make a law against parts of his own coalition wasn't a particularly smart move by Scholz. Maybe a deal with the Christian Democrats could have been found, but he would have had to give them something in return.

Wagenknecht was more a general fuck you, you can't tell her to get fucked often enough. If I had any sway with the Grim Reaper and could pick three MPs for him to harvest, it would be Wagenknecht, Kubicki and Weidel in that order. I am just annoyed, that we apparently have an FDP lead goverment. And I have the utmost urge slap any FDP voter in the face repeatedly right now.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

What did you expect? F.D.P. is doing F.D.P. things. If they can't stick the knife into something just to share some clientele interests, they are not happy.  Probably Mövenpick worried that there are not enough vaccinated maids or something. What worries me more is that they hade the same share of first time voters than the Greens.