German and Austrian politics: Twilight of the conservative parties

Luzifer's right hand

So yay for paying y'alls gas bill. Warms me from the inside while I stare at my empty oil tank. Luckily the company pays my petrol bills, so I can drive around and the family can take turns on the passenger's seat with seat heating, I guess. 

Okay that was a bit too dark, I'm all for solidarity and am glad for all the *poor* people getting strong support with their heating bill and keeping their companies running. But it's amazing how strong the gas lobby seems to be. They should have gone to hell decades ago.

32 minutes ago, kiko said:

So yay for paying y'alls gas bill. Warms me from the inside while I stare at my empty oil tank. Luckily the company pays my petrol bills, so I can drive around and the family can take turns on the passenger's seat with seat heating, I guess. 

Okay that was a bit too dark, I'm all for solidarity and am glad for all the *poor* people getting strong support with their heating bill and keeping their companies running. But it's amazing how strong the gas lobby seems to be. They should have gone to hell decades ago.

I remember there was this Kyoto thing back in the 90s informing us that we need to get shit done. We could have transitioned away from fossil fuels by now.

But the gas industry has done a great job at undermining the stability of our countries that is definitely true.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

5 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I remember there was this Kyoto thing back in the 90s informing us that we need to get shit done. We could have transitioned away from fossil fuels by now.

But the gas industry has done a great job at undermining the stability of our countries that is definitely true.

I don't know about Austria, but you definitely  don't get Germany over the Winter on wind and photovoltaic. Both fail completely for prolonged periods (a day or longer) several times a year ("Dunkelflaute"). The Powers That Be, led by Merkel, decided that gas was to be the backup. Alternatives would have been coal and nuclear, both of which the Greens (whose votes in the Bundesrat have been necessary for any serious piece of legislation for decades now) heavily opposed.

56 minutes ago, Loge said:

I don't know about Austria, but you definitely  don't get Germany over the Winter on wind and photovoltaic. Both fail completely for prolonged periods (a day or longer) several times a year ("Dunkelflaute"). The Powers That Be, led by Merkel, decided that gas was to be the backup. Alternatives would have been coal and nuclear, both of which the Greens (whose votes in the Bundesrat have been necessary for any serious piece of legislation for decades now) heavily opposed.

You produce surplus energy when you can and store it in the most efficient way which is water pumped up mountains. We could have used to billions wasted on ski tourism and it would have involved far less damage to the environment. That's how we use to nuclear power we pretend to shun in Austria anyway. 

Even without that we could have changed our utterly unsustainable civilization in the last 30 years. But I'm just kidding the fate of our civilization was probably sealed during the industrial revolution or when the car became mainstream. Any plan that does not involve changing society significantly is just wasted energy better spent of enjoying a good time on borrowed time.

My sig says it better than our media and politicians I feel. ;) 

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

You produce surplus energy when you can and store it in the most efficient way which is water pumped up mountains. We could have used to billions wasted on ski tourism and it would have involved far less damage to the environment. That's how we use to nuclear power we pretend to shun in Austria anyway. 

Even without that we could have changed our utterly unsustainable civilization in the last 30 years. But I'm just kidding the fate of our civilization was probably sealed during the industrial revolution or when the car became mainstream. Any plan that does not involve changing society significantly is just wasted energy better spent of enjoying a good time on borrowed time.

My sig says it better than our media and politicians I feel. ;) 

We definitely dropped the ball on energy storage. I'm not sure that pumping it up the mountains is the way to go. Not so many suitable hills at sea level. But there are definitely other methods to do it locally. Some of them ridiculously simple like storing heat in stones. And green H2 for the chemical industry and foundries. Gas was just the cheaper option if you plan to die within the next 30 years anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not sure whether this news bit fits here or in the RIP thread, but Mateschitz has kicked the proverbial bucket and I need to clean my grave dancing (horse) shoes. RIH Didi. Fuckin' wnker.

I will join the dance.

Well the sports fans loved him I guess.

Otherwise he was an active fighter against organized labor and his TV station is one of the main sources of fake news in this country. Probably got some people killed in the last two years that way. Hopefully the majority owners of Red Bull will end the TV station.

They might move manufacturing of the beverages to cheaper countries. Red Bull does not actually have production facilities but the Rauch plants the company uses are are in Austria and Switzerland.

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I will join the dance.

Well the sports fans loved him I guess.

Otherwise he was an active fighter against organized labor and his TV station is one of the main sources of fake news in this country. Probably got some people killed in the last two years that way. Hopefully the majority owners of Red Bull will end the TV station.

They might move manufacturing of the beverages to cheaper countries. Red Bull does not actually have production facilities but the Rauch plants the company uses are are in Austria and Switzerland.

Did he drink his own stuff?

• 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63885028

Germany arrests 25 accused of plotting coup

Twenty-five people have been arrested in raids across Germany on suspicion of plotting to overthrow the government.

German reports say the group of far-right and ex-military figures planned to storm the parliament building, the Reichstag, and seize power.

A minor aristocrat described as Prince Heinrich XIII, 71, is alleged to have been central to their plans.

According to federal prosecutors, he is one of two alleged ringleaders among those arrested across 11 German states.

The plotters are said to include members of the extremist Reichsbürger [Citizens of the Reich] movement, which has long been in the sights of German police over violent attacks and racist conspiracy theories. They also refuse to recognise the modern German state.

Ah, those Reichsbürger wingnuts.

For those who are into etymology and stuff.

Reichsbürger (as with most longer German words) is a compound. Reich = Empire, and Bürger = citizen(s). Why do I take that small detour?

Well, ideologically, they are roughly equivalent to those sovereign citizen numbnuts in the US. Alas, they are not sovereigns, but citizens of the Reich. There are some regional variants, but at its very core they're quite similar.

Also quite similar tactics in everyday life. Frivolous law suits and complaints against goverment departments and the people who work there. They don't recognize the existence of the German post-war state (also favorite talking point, there's no peace treaty between Germany and the US). Some declare themselves king/emperor of something. Others want the Hohenzollern back. Don't ask me, they are proper crackers. 

I feel like I am missing out on a Florida joke here.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Are there any Hohenzollern’s who would do anything but laugh at the absurdity of such an offer?

Well, when you ask the current head of the family (some great-great-grandson of Wilhelm II) what he thinks about restoring the monarchy, he tells you 'There is no majority for that' instead of 'What the fuck did you smoke?'.

26 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Well, when you ask the current head of the family (some great-great-grandson of Wilhelm II) what he thinks about restoring the monarchy, he tells you 'There is no majority for that' instead of 'What the fuck did you smoke?'.

there were not enough lamp posts 100 years ago. 

30 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Interesting phrasing looking for a majority to vote for restoration of a monarchy…

38 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Isn’t it Saxony?

Probably, but less swamps and no alligators. I am not sure, but how stupid does a Florida accent sound to other Americans? 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Are there any Hohenzollern’s who would do anything but laugh at the absurdity of such an offer?

Those grifters... The current head of their house (Prince Friedrich of Prussia) is atm involved in a legal battle, in which he wants quite a bit of his families holdings back (real estate, pieces of art, that didn't get loaded onto the train when Emperor was kicked out of Germany), the defendants in those law suits Germany and the states of Brandenburg and Berlin. At the very centre of those trials lies the question how much where they involved with the (rise of) the Nazis (the real ones, not those Florida cosplayers (190)). If the answer is they contributed significantly, then their quest for compensation ends immediately (black letter law).

As kiko said, I think the folks a hundred years ago should have taken a page from French or the Russians in terms of how to deal with their royal families instead of letting the Emperor literally take a train of goods with him into his exile in the Netherlands. Something to keep in mind for our British boarders. Grifters gonna grift, and their offsprings will continue that tradition and cause headaches a century later. 

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger