German and Austrian politics: Twilight of the conservative parties

Luzifer's right hand

23 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I could say that the stupidity and (at least in the UK) corruption astounds me, but I've run out of bestoundability. 

And the best part was that aforementioned solar industry was developing in former GDR territory, which had been economically wrecked by reunification and was in severe need of prestige projects signalling a process of catching up. And then it all died and the frustration of having gotten the short end of the stick kept festering, making these states even more vulnerable to right-wing agitation resulting in scary election results there.

• 3 weeks later...

So, the re-run of the Berlin state election didn't go well for neither the SPD, nor the FDP.

Greens are roughly level with their annulled result form last year, which may or may not be enough to finish 2nd ahead of the SPD.

CDU managed to win that election. 

Libertarians (FDP) possibly/probably below the 5% threshold.

Linke relatively comfotably above it. I assume, they kept Wagenknecht away from the campaign trail. Lederer is distinctively not Wagenknecht.

SPD with their worst result ever in Berlin. Not sure who was hurting the SPD more on a polling level, Scholz or Giffey. Giffey even managed to lose her own district, which she won quite comfortably last time.

19 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So, the re-run of the Berlin state election didn't go well for neither the SPD, nor the FDP.

Greens are roughly level with their annulled result form last year, which may or may not be enough to finish 2nd ahead of the SPD.

CDU managed to win that election. 

Libertarians (FDP) possibly/probably below the 5% threshold.

Linke relatively comfotably above it. I assume, they kept Wagenknecht away from the campaign trail. Lederer is distinctively not Wagenknecht.

SPD with their worst result ever in Berlin. Not sure who was hurting the SPD more on a polling level, Scholz or Giffey. Giffey even managed to lose her own district, which she won quite comfortably last time.

Berlin is is pretty much split between the center ("S-Bahn-Ring"), which votes Green, and the rest of the city, which has voted CDU this time. SPD, Linke, and FDP are losing relevance. AFD is halfway holding up but not doing particularly great either. Technically, the old senate could continue, but that may cost them at the next election. 

As for why, I won't pretend to fully understand it, but the performance of the incumbent senate hasn't been particularly great. And that didn't start with Giffey. The same parties were already in government during Müller's second term, and that went so well that he didn't even run again.

The really big change from 2021 is the result of the CDU, which is probably thanks to Merkel not being around anymore. It certainly isn't because Wegner is so brilliant, because he isn't.

ETA: Here's the map

https://interaktiv.tagesspiegel.de/lab/wahl-wiederholung-abgeordnetenhaus-2023-karte-auszaehlungsstaende-historische-ergebnisse-wahlkreisergebnisse-stimmbezirke-ergebnisse/

Edited by Loge

• 2 weeks later...

And in about former Leftist news.

Wagenknecht :stillsick: and Schwarzer's protest against war is drawing the kinda crowd you'd expect.

Kipping and the Berlin chapter of the Left is organizing a different protest in front of the Russian embassy, that's a smart way of doing it IMO. 

Meanwhile the Antifa has called for counterprotests for the Wagenknecht and Schwarzer shizzle.

»Als Teile der antifaschistischen Bewegung in Berlin rufen wir dazu auf, den Faschos auch an diesem Tag keinen Quadratmeter in Berlin zu überlassen«

"As part of the anti-fascist movement in Berlin we call to not cede one square meter of Berlin to the fascist on this day."

»Die Mobilisierung (der rassistischen und queerfeindlichen Initiator*innen) Wagenknecht und Schwarzer am nächsten Samstag kann kein Standpunkt einer linken Friedensbewegung sein.«

"The mobilization by the (racist and queerphobic organizers) Wagenknecht and Schwarzer next Saturday can't be the position of a left peace movement."

Needless to say the less dimwitted have withdrawn their signatures/support from that Schwarzer-Wagenknecht manifest and want not part of that protest on Saturday. Even Margot Käßmann could read the writing on the wall. And she is really not the brightest candle on the Christmas tree, any Christmas tree.

On 2/22/2023 at 8:45 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And in about former Leftist news.

Wagenknecht :stillsick: and Schwarzer's protest against war is drawing the kinda crowd you'd expect.

Kipping and the Berlin chapter of the Left is organizing a different protest in front of the Russian embassy, that's a smart way of doing it IMO. 

Meanwhile the Antifa has called for counterprotests for the Wagenknecht and Schwarzer shizzle.

»Als Teile der antifaschistischen Bewegung in Berlin rufen wir dazu auf, den Faschos auch an diesem Tag keinen Quadratmeter in Berlin zu überlassen«

"As part of the anti-fascist movement in Berlin we call to not cede one square meter of Berlin to the fascist on this day."

»Die Mobilisierung (der rassistischen und queerfeindlichen Initiator*innen) Wagenknecht und Schwarzer am nächsten Samstag kann kein Standpunkt einer linken Friedensbewegung sein.«

"The mobilization by the (racist and queerphobic organizers) Wagenknecht and Schwarzer next Saturday can't be the position of a left peace movement."

Needless to say the less dimwitted have withdrawn their signatures/support from that Schwarzer-Wagenknecht manifest and want not part of that protest on Saturday. Even Margot Käßmann could read the writing on the wall. And she is really not the brightest candle on the Christmas tree, any Christmas tree.

While I understand Die Linke does not want to be seen demostrating with the AFD, it is just true that in this matter they have the exact same position. They should just come clean and admit it ( and perhaps reflect on their love for Putin)

5 hours ago, JoannaL said:

While I understand Die Linke does not want to be seen demostrating with the AFD, it is just true that in this matter they have the exact same position. They should just come clean and admit it ( and perhaps reflect on their love for Putin)

Not entriely true.

Die Linke is split. A not insignifcant number of knuckleheads share the AfD position (die Wagenknechte). Others are less Putin horny. Either way, Die Linke is not electable right now.  They should'Ve kicked out Wagenknecht and her husband a long time ago. Instead they allowed little Oskar to do as much damage as he could, and they are now asking for seconds from his wife. Anyway, there's quite a bit of within that party and not the uniform fuck Ukraine the AD displays.

I have very little sympathy for Die Linke tho, they are  for most parts to blame for their misery, as they are to craven to kick out Wagenknecht, and thus they allow her to shape the public perception of the party.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy fuck. 

That is one scary/hillarious read if there ever was one.

Intersection between, German, International Politics, and Ukraine thread.

But in not surprising news. We have far right people working for the BND, no seriously.

Then right wingers are inter-connected and work for Russia.

And the BND are really the clowns of security services.

15 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Holy fuck. 

That is one scary/hillarious read if there ever was one.

Intersection between, German, International Politics, and Ukraine thread.

But in not surprising news. We have far right people working for the BND, no seriously.

Then right wingers are inter-connected and work for Russia.

And the BND are really the clowns of security services.

Hey don't forget Austria has intelligence agencies too! Foreign agencies only share information with us if they want Russia to know I believe.

• 1 month later...

So Palmer has decided to leave the Green party, after his latest public remarks.

For the people who don't know him. Boris Palmer is the mayor of Tübingen. And yes, he is one true Boris. In the past he had been making some fairly racists remarks and done some stupid public stunts, that has lead to the Greens wanting to expell him from the party. Which he was fighting legally. His scandals have become a bit too numerous to list, so I will just list the latest one.

During a public speaking engagement he was heckled by protesters, who called him a Nazi (for his racist comments primarily on social media in the past). He reacted by saying: The N-word is nowadays, what used to be the yellow star...

That was enough for the Schwampel, aka Rezzo Schlauch, to pull his support. Sidenote, Palmer's from a Jewish family, which he had used a few times as political cover from calling him a Nazi. And yes, he literally said the N-word. So calling someone a Nazi is more or less the same as the racial slur.

I am now firmly convinced Boris is Russian for Bellend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Just wanted to express my undying and undiluted and unfiltered hatred towards the FDP.

What did they do this time? Sorry I'm in China and have trouble reading the news from home.

Lindner budget, Schuldenbremse. Insufficient money for poor kids (Kindergrundsicherung Paus would needs 12bn Lindner has earmarked 2bn), and asked the family ministry to make cuts to meet his demands. Paus reaction to that shizzle was to lower the income threshold for Kindergeld. Couple who make 150k+ a year won't receive it anymore (it was either this, or cuts for everyone, what the FDP apparently wanted). 

Wissing gets quite a bit of money, just not for the Bahn. They need like 45bn € to modernize the tracks, they ill end up with less than half. 

Ofc insufficient cash for investments in IT and other arease, as there's not enough money to go around without raising taxes, which is against their fucking libertarian beliefs. 

Germany: Hostility toward Muslims is widespread
https://amp.dw.com/en/germany-hostility-toward-muslims-is-widespread/a-66069446

How great is the resentment, racism and discrimination against Germany's 5.5 million Muslims? The Federal Interior Ministry's findings paint a bleak picture.

A hostile attitude toward Muslims is widespread in large sections of German society. Its manifestations are an everyday reality. One in two people in Germany agrees with anti-Muslim statements.

These are the findings published this Thursday (June 29) by the Independent Expert Panel on Hostility against Muslims (UEM) in its final report, "Islamophobia — A German Balance Sheet."

The failure of political parties

The study also looks at Germany's political parties. In the Bundestag, the far-right populist Alternative for Germany (AfD) has "a manifestly anti-Muslim program." In the biggest opposition block — the center-right bloc of Christian Democratic Union (CDU) and regional Bavarian Christian Social Union (CSU)— "latent hostility toward Muslims can be seen in the inconsistent recognition of Islam as part of the German nation or culture. The ruling center-left Social Democrats (SPD), Greens and the neoliberal Free Democrats (FDP) fail to fight institutional racism consistently. The post-communist Left Party is a notable exception.

Federal Interior Minister Nancy Faeser (SPD) described the report's findings as "bitter." She pointed out that among the approximately 5.5 million people of the Muslim faith and culture, most are German citizens.

"Muslim life is a natural part of Germany. We want all people in our diverse society to have the same opportunities and rights," Faeser said

• 3 months later...

Austria is adding border controls for the Czech Republic.

We already had border controls for Slovakia, Slovenia and Hungary.

Won't be surprised if all borders apart from Germany will get that treatment soon. Next to nobody in Austria is going to complain as the generell consensus seems to be that Schengen is de facto a failed concept. The most refugee friendly party is part of the government that is introducing those controls.

Germany has border controls on the Austrian border since 2015 and is adding border controls for Poland, the Czech Republic and Switzerland.

Edit: Our far right party is currently leading in polls and the topic of young male asylum seekers from muslim countries is one of the things that keeps the support of that party growing.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

26 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Edit: Our far right party is currently leading in polls and the topic of young male asylum seekers from muslim countries is one of the things that keeps the support of that party growing.

I'm moving to Hamburg in less than a month, so it seems that I may be dodging a bullet. 

4 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

I'm moving to Hamburg in less than a month, so it seems that I may be dodging a bullet. 

Probably a good choice indeed. Polls look pretty shit right now unless you want a right/far right government and elections are next year.

Open racism has massively grown since 2015 as has the pushback against "woke" politics. Hatred against people who want to protect the environment and animals too. Conservative ruled states have started making abortion more difficult too. It is not looking good to be honest.

It's a great corner of Germany to avoid the far right too I feel(unlike Bavaria or the new states). On top of that it is a city state which means no large rural population which reduces right wing support even further.

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Probably a good choice indeed. Polls look pretty shit right now unless you want a right/far right government and elections are next year.

Open racism has massively grown since 2015 as has the pushback against "woke" politics. Hatred against people who want to protect the environment and animals too. Conservative ruled states have started making abortion more difficult too. It is not looking good to be honest.

It's a great corner of Germany to avoid the far right too I feel(unlike Bavaria or the new states). On top of that it is a city state which means no large rural population which reduces right wing support even further.

That was kind of our* thinking. I have told friends and family asking about my decision that Vienna is a small progressive island surrounded by a sea of conservatism. It's a bit like Austin, Texas. Sure, Austin is a progressive city, but at the end of the day, you are still living in Texas with Greg Abbot as your governor and Ted Cruz as your senator. There are at least more alternatives in Germany, whereas it feels like in Austria there is just Vienna. 

* My German partner, who got a job working at a hospital in Hamburg.