German and Austrian politics: Twilight of the conservative parties

Luzifer's right hand

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

As kiko said, I think the folks a hundred years ago should have taken a page from French or the Russians in terms of how to deal with their royal families instead of letting the Emperor literally take a train of goods with him into his exile in the Netherlands. Something to keep in mind for our British boarders. Grifters gonna grift, and their offsprings will continue that tradition and cause headaches a century later. 

Hard to get all of them though, and the Bourbon pretenders do occasionally pop up in the news saying dumb things.

Entwarnung! Reichsbürger planten nur bewaffneten Umsturz, hatten aber nicht vor, sich irgendwo festzukleben

Seems relevant. I mean they did not try to damage objects or stop traffic. Not a real threat to society unlike the people who dare to be concerned about climate change.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Probably, but less swamps and no alligators. I am not sure, but how stupid does a Florida accent sound to other Americans? 

Not sure there is one tbh. People come and go all the time in FL and just for example, there's a number of different accents in South Florida alone. Locals will be able to tell, but nationally it's not like a stereotypical NY and NJ accent that people know even if they've never been there before.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am not sure, but how stupid does a Florida accent sound to other Americans? 

Actual Sächsisch is a very pleasant dialect. Very calm and friendly sounding. The problem is that the media is usually interviewing dumb people. When dumb people speak Saxonian, it sounds indeed very dumb. But you should try and listen to educated people speak it. 

2 hours ago, kiko said:

Actual Sächsisch is a very pleasant dialect. Very calm and friendly sounding. The problem is that the media is usually interviewing dumb people. When dumb people speak Saxonian, it sounds indeed very dumb. But you should try and listen to educated people speak it. 

I am one of those 60 million I am afraid.

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am one of those 60 million I am afraid.

How hard would it be to find something identically moronic from your neck of woods? I thought only people from Florida would be able to miss the point of my post by such a wide margin.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever decided to allow fireworks to be sold a week earlier than usual, I hope they'll die a long and painful death. Soon. I'm sure the bribes are worth it though.

Idiot kids are already firing them in the fucking street, and my dog is a wreck of fear. She doesn't want to go out and at home, she's velcroed to me.

In the spirit of Christmas, may they blow themselves up in a blaze of glory.

ETA:  I should probably have posted this to the doggy thread.

Edited by Mindwalker

• 2 weeks later...

I hear you. Neighbour's dog doesn't enjoy glimpses of Ukraine goes to Germany either. They atm have to bait him with treats; proper big dog so not like you can just put him a bag and carry him out. And yes, those moron kids are at it for the past two hours. Had me look at the freaking clock whether I feel asleep or something.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

• 4 weeks later...

I had dropped this in the Ukraine War thread but it is more appropriate here:

On “Morning Edition” this morning the Report I link below mentions that the majority in the former DDR do not support sending Tanks to Ukraine while the majority in the former BDR do support sending Tanks to Ukraine.

How difficult is the cultural divide between the former East and West Germany?  The Reunification was thirty years ago… is the division fading or calcifying?

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/24/1150942783/germany-is-under-increased-pressure-to-send-its-leopard-tanks-to-ukraine

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

On “Morning Edition” this morning the Report I link below mentions that the majority in the former DDR do not support sending Tanks to Ukraine while the majority in the former BDR do support sending Tanks to Ukraine.

How difficult is the cultural divide between the former East and West Germany?  The Reunification was thirty years ago… is the division fading or calcifying?

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/24/1150942783/germany-is-under-increased-pressure-to-send-its-leopard-tanks-to-ukraine

Nitpicks first. It's BRD, not BDR. I think you might have gotten conflated it with GDR. But the FRG = BRD in German. (Bundesrepublik Deutschland)

Having that said. answer is probably a bit of both. You have to take age groups into consideration. Younger = stronger support for Ukraine. The older generation from the GDR (I use the English initials to avoid confusion) was brought with the SU (Russia) is our friend belief. If you assume that's ingrained in them. Younger generations have for left the Eastern states in the past decades, because there was little in terms of jobs and perspective there. The trend is at least in parts reversing a bit. As there are now a few more jobs (at least in the Eastern urban areas). Anyway, I think those two factors interact there. The older generation is less enthusiastic about supporting Ukraine, than the youngs. I think those two factors are interacting there. 

19 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I am a "West" German who lived in (the East part of ) Berlin in the nineties and then again in the Western part and now since 2011 again in East Germany. the cultural divide is - as far as I can see- lessening, in  a lot of ways there are no big differences left . My children do not understand that question any longer.

But the relationship to Russia may be one of the things where a notable difference still exists. The Eastern part of Germany was part of the Russian empire , a satelite state like poland or hungary to the all-dictating soviet union. To some (the communists, perhaps 15-20 % ) that was a good time . And even the others did grow up with Russian propaganda and no ties to the western way of thinking. This led and leads to a more Russian leaning (Linke ) or at least Russian fearing older (50 and up) population.   I do not think that there are notable differences in the younger people.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

3) Merkel having bungled the switch to renewables big time.

Thus Germany being so dependent/addicted to Russian gas.

Actually rolled back the exiting push to renewables. 

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

Didn't realise the German government had been afflicted by the same stupidity as ours with David "get rid of that Green crap" Cameron. 

We had the -probably - world leading solar industry. Then the decision has been made to stop supporting them because it's cheaper to buy in China. Not sure it was get rid of green crap, possibly more of why should we pay for them?

2 hours ago, kiko said:

We had the -probably - world leading solar industry. Then the decision has been made to stop supporting them because it's cheaper to buy in China. Not sure it was get rid of green crap, possibly more of why should we pay for them?

I could say that the stupidity and (at least in the UK) corruption astounds me, but I've run out of bestoundability.