Wow, I never noticed that. Vol. 19

Seams

41 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

This could be relavent.

Kingsguard, but not only are they not described as shadows, but we are specifically told that they aren't shadows. Though not white, the grey wraiths that were Ned's companions once are the shadows here.

A Stark commanding shadows :-)

Later in one of Jamie's dreams Rhaegar and the KG are Jamie's icy shades/shadows/ghosts

He saw them too. They were armored all in snow, it seemed to him, and ribbons of mist swirled back from their shoulders. The visors of their helms were closed, but Jaime Lannister did not need to look upon their faces to know them.

Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne.<...>

The shades dismounted from their ghostly horses. When they drew their longswords, it made not a sound.<...>

Prince Rhaegar burned with a cold light, now white, now red, now dark. “I left my wife and children in your hands.<...>

Do you believe in ghosts, Maester?” he asked Qyburn.

On 10/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, Hugorfonics said:

but one last flutist in the gallery was blowing a dirge.

Made me see something I’ve been looking for. Ty.

One flute will serve only to unstop your ears and dissolve the caul from off your eyes, so that you may hear and see the truths that will be laid before you."

The drums were pounding, pounding, pounding, and her head with them. Pipes wailed and flutes trilled from the musicians' gallery at the foot of the hall; fiddles screeched, horns blew, the skins skirled a lively tune, but the drumming drove them all.

skirling always makes me think of a banshee and the pass

Edited by Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe

14 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I really should read those released chapters. I didn't read any of them save the one that was attached to ADWD cause I thought "Soon I'll get to read the full book anyway" but, obviously that didn't happen.

Sorry, I hope I didn't spoil it. 

4 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

So here's Bittersteel: a winged red stallion on a golden field. Only the horse has big black dragon wings instead of the usual Pegasus-style feathered angel wings, and he's snorting fire.

I don't know that it is supposed to be a single person (i.e., Dany's stillborn baby). I think GRRM's point may be that characters are reborn in new bodies from the same family line - a Celtic idea about reincarnation (and similar to other world cultures, I'm sure). 

"If truth be told, we expected you to do just as you did." Mormont tried a plum, spit out the pit. "I ordered a watch kept over you. You were seen leaving. If your brothers had not fetched you back, you would have been taken along the way, and not by friends. Unless you have a horse with wings like a raven. Do you?"

"No." Jon felt like a fool.

We know that Bittersteel escaped to exile in Essos - apparently his possession of a flying horse was effective. Jeor's question to Jon Snow is about a flying horse with raven's wings, however, which seems like a Bloodraven association: the opposite of a Bittersteel flying horse. Jon admits that he does not have a flying horse, however, so the question is apparently moot. 

Mormont also asks Jon Snow about a magic sword:

"Good," Mormont said. "We've seen the dead come back, you and me, and it's not something I care to see again." He ate the egg in two bites and flicked a bit of shell out from between his teeth. "Your brother is in the field with all the power of the north behind him. Any one of his lords bannermen commands more swords than you'll find in all the Night's Watch. Why do you imagine that they need your help? Are you such a mighty warrior, or do you carry a grumkin in your pocket to magic up your sword?"

Jon had no answer for him. The raven was pecking at an egg, breaking the shell. Pushing his beak through the hole, he pulled out morsels of white and yoke.

We have learned from a Catelyn POV that Maester Luwin hides things in his pockets (reiterated in the Cressen prologue) and Melisandre thinks about the smoke effects she creates with powders hidden in pockets of her robe. Pockets are used to hide coins and keys and, in one memorable moment with Tormund Giantsbane, a roasted chicken. 

Grumkins are associated with swapping babies out of their cribs and substituting another baby in its place - something Jon Snow will do (in a different way) with Mance and Gilly's babies, but also something rumored about fAegon and the Pisswater Prince. 

But the magic sword reference could bring us back again to Bittersteel and Bloodraven, both of whom may have had possession of famous hereditary swords of the Targaryen royal family. In the case of the flying horse, Jon Snow denied that he had such an animal. In this case, Jon does not deny having a grumkin in this pocket. Perhaps he will have a magic sword at some point in the story ...

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Another piece of wisdom from Old Nan. She really does know the truth of a lot of the things.

I think it's curious that she can smell an increase fire magic something that Quaithe attributes to the return of dragons and apparently so does Old Nan.  The pyromancers also ask Tyrion about just that in relation to the increased potency of their spells.  Scents and smells seem to be a large part of the warg experience and Jon's sense of smell is increased just by proximity to Ghost.  I wonder why Old Nan can smell magic besides the obvious that the blind have other senses that become heightened as a result of blindness.  How does she identify the smell of magic or dragons.  I wonder if she can breach the veil between the worlds or does the weirwood of Winterfell remember the smell of dragons? 

A Dance with Dragons - The Queensguard

The rest he learned later. Beyond the gates had been a solid press of people. Maddened by the smell of dragon, horses below reared in terror, lashing out with iron-shod hooves. Food stalls and palanquins alike were overturned, men knocked down and trampled. Spears were thrown, crossbows were fired. Some struck home. The dragon twisted violently in the air, wounds smoking, the girl clinging to his back. Then he loosed the fire.

Edited by LynnS

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

She is the sword magicking grumkin in Jon's pockets.

Fascinating.  Grumkins show up in Old Nan's tales With Arya and Sansa as well offering magic of some kind.  Tyrion dismisses snarks and grumkins out of hand, tales to frighten children.  Arya thinks she has met one:

A Clash of Kings - Arya IX

Jaqen still owed her one death. In Old Nan's stories about men who were given magic wishes by a grumkin, you had to be especially careful with the third wish, because it was the last. Chiswyck and Weese hadn't been very important. The last death has to count, Arya told herself every night when she whispered her names. But now she wondered if that was truly the reason she had hesitated. So long as she could kill with a whisper, Arya need not be afraid of anyone . . . but once she used up the last death, she would only be a mouse again.

Grumkin is a combination of the words grum meaning glum and grim and kin. grum-kin.  But what of the Snark?  It's taken from the poem by Lewis Caroll's The Hunting of the Snark, a terrifying creature named after the boojum tree. 

A snark turns out to be a combination of the words shark and snake.  The snark explained:

Snark_Explained_Essay.pdf (snrk.de)