Wow, I never noticed that. Vol. 19

Seams

3 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Three heads of the dragon is just hogwash in univers and perhaps even a red herring for us the readers.

Targaryens, being Valyrians out of Essos never had a coat of arms until the conquest. The three heads of their dragon didn't even go back three centuries when Rhaegar thought dragon must have three heads.

I agree that it might be a red herring as in there won't be three dragons but three heros perhaps. but don't you think it's really weird that Rhaegar based his three heads necessity on their relatively new symbol? when Aegon  and his sisters put up the three headed dragon as their sigil everybody thought it's because there's three of them.. but maybe three was actually a unique number for the Targaryens.. perhaps something related to the prophecy that Rhaegar had found? I mean.. he can't be that stupid:dunno:

7 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Fighting on the river with all that armor is stupid, instead of waiting on the banks and allow the enemy to come to you very slowly, charging at him in a river crossing is stupid as well and these are just the last 2 stupid things He has done :P

:lmao:I mean you could at least say Rhaegar was inexperienced or something and what about Lewin Martell? he should've been able to see that... forget about the rebellion battles... George clearly just wanted an epic battle in a river and it seems he gave Bobby and co. a THICK plot armor in every single battle while he kinda forgot to give Rhaegar something other than looks to make it believable so many people had faith in him  ... 

18 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I agree that it might be a red herring as in there won't be three dragons but three heros perhaps. but don't you think it's really weird that Rhaegar based his three heads necessity on their relatively new symbol? when Aegon  and his sisters put up the three headed dragon as their sigil everybody thought it's because there's three of them.. but maybe three was actually a unique number for the Targaryens.. perhaps something related to the prophecy that Rhaegar had found? I mean.. he can't be that stupid:dunno:

I think it goes further than Rhaegar. 

"The dragon must have three heads," he wailed, "but I am too old and grail to be one of them. I should be with her, showing her the way, but my body has betrayed me."

This is from Maester Aemon in AFfC. Given Maester Aemon's age when he died, I think that this is something that goes way way back and something that was passed down to Rhaegar.

I think it's got to do with heroes as opposed to actual dragons, since Rhaegar mentions the whole "there must be one more" in the HotU, it seems to indicate that he's talking about a person, not an actual dragon since there were none at all when Aegon was born.

5 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Perhaps Aemon filled his head with all that nonsense. He has more crazy stuff in his head than some little green geezer living in a bog.

I would have loved to see what was in Aemon's head. Now we have to wait for Sam to trickle it down. He'll start telling us something, then he'll inevitably get interrupted or yawn and go to bed. 

About the whole nonsense thing. Most magical things in the story can be treated as nonsense. If we hadn't seen Dany walk into the pyre and come out alive, unburnt with three baby dragons, we'd probaby dismiss it as nonsense. Ditto the Others and the wights, what happened at the Fist of the First Men, Beric Dondarrion and Lady Stoneheart's resurrections, Melisandre birthing shadow assassin babies and so on.

House Targaryen is driven by visions and prophecy. The conquest was more than likely driven by that as well, so it's entirely possible that the choice of heraldry has to do with that as well. And twenty out of six-seven years that Aemon spent on the Wall were spent with Bloodraven and he was his counsellor for thirteen of those. If Bloodraven told Aemon things that he later passed on to Rhaegar, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as nonsense. 

I know the answer is more serious than it should be. Sorry about that.

Edited by Alexis-something-Rose

2 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Loras is at an age when 35 seems old. Jaime is old enough to realize that experience is a good thing.

It’s just funny because Cat is described as quite attractive (and you can still tell if someone is comely even if you’re not attracted to their sex) so it makes him calling her an old lady extra funny.

Someone pointed out that the only two characters known as “young” something, the Young Dragon and the Young Wolf, both died young as well (even Young Henly, while technically not young, died in the only chapter he was mentioned in). Further proof that both Young Griff and the Young Falcon are probably both in for a nasty surprise.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Someone pointed out that the only two characters known as “young” something, the Young Dragon and the Young Wolf, both died young as well (even Young Henly, while technically not young, died in the only chapter he was mentioned in). Further proof that both Young Griff and the Young Falcon are probably both in for a nasty surprise.

good (and sad) point...

meanwhile , the characters who are called old seem to come back from dead! we've already talked about Loras calling Cat old and she comes back as LSH. and here's a quote for Beric:

Game of Thrones  - Sansa III

“Lord Beric is as much a hero as Ser Loras. He’s ever so brave and gallant.” “I suppose,” Sansa said doubtfully. Beric Dondarrion was handsome enough, but he was awfully old, almost twenty-two...

it's worth mentioning that (believe it or not!) ,  young  curse had applied to young Lord Beric , too!:P

Game of Thrones - Sansa II

...but when she saw young Lord Beric Dondarrion, with his hair like red gold and his black shield slashed by lightning, she pronounced herself willing to marry him on the instant.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:48 PM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I think it goes further than Rhaegar. 

"The dragon must have three heads," he wailed, "but I am too old and grail to be one of them. I should be with her, showing her the way, but my body has betrayed me."

This is from Maester Aemon in AFfC. Given Maester Aemon's age when he died, I think that this is something that goes way way back and something that was passed down to Rhaegar.

I think it's got to do with heroes as opposed to actual dragons, since Rhaegar mentions the whole "there must be one more" in the HotU, it seems to indicate that he's talking about a person, not an actual dragon since there were none at all when Aegon was born.

About this, btw, when Dany is in the HotU, after she's done going through the doors and right before she gets those triads (daughter of death, slayer of lies, bride of fire) the disembodied voices start with "Three heads has the dragon."