Wow, I never noticed that. Vol. 19

Seams

2 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

The idea of Cold Hands being Night's King has been brought forward before, but while posting my Brandon Stark and Last Hero theory, something occured to me about him.

I think there's one thing about Coldhands that we can take to the bank and that's that he speaks or at the very least understands the true tongue because the ravens are able to communicate with him. 

Aurane Waters is a lot more clever than he seems. At one of the council meetings, no one can remember Euron’s name or what his relation to Balon is. Aurane just sits there silently the whole time. He’s a mariner: there’s no way in hell he hasn’t heard of Euron Crow’s Eye or his reputation. But he chooses to let the council remain ignorant.

This is more of a meta-observation, but I do find it interesting that, ten years in, GRRM is still saying that the series will be completed in seven books. Like many readers, I honestly cannot fathom how that's possible, but it was only two or three years after he started writing AFFC that he announced that the books would be split. If he was going to add an eighth book, I imagine that he would have decided that by now. Of course, who knows how things will change once GRRM starts writing ADOS.

On 2/17/2022 at 6:14 PM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

And it's mocking, but it's actually very meaningful, imo, because Jon is brother to more than one king. He is brother to kings.

So if Bran becomes king (which I have very serious doubts about), then he and Jon will be cousins by then, not half-brothers.

Edrik Dayne is Jon's milk-brother. Could be that in the future Dorne will become independent and they will have their own King, not a Prince, and that King will be Edrik. Maybe.

Also Jon could become a blood-brother with Mance Rayder, who is the King of the Wildlings. Or Tormund could become the next King-Beyond-The-Wall. So if him and Jon will give together some sort of vow, then they will be sworn brothers, like Jon and the Watchers, only Tormund (or Mance) are/will be Kings.

Also - Jon and Robb, and Bran to Jon, despite being not real siblings, were raised together like brothers, so that's what they are, factually, not genetically.

Something like that. So "brother to kings" not necessary mean his actual brothers.

Though, either way - that's a good find. :thumbsup:

If in the next book Jon will become "brothers" with some guy, we will know beforehand that in the future this guy possibly will become a King, or something like that.

14 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

who knows how things will change once GRRM starts writing ADOS.

Who said that he isn't writing it now? My understanding is that POVs and scenes in TWOW and ADOS are split (based on available sample chapters from TWOW), and are happening in a parallel to each other, a bit like it was in ASOS and AFFC (POVs of all the POV-characters in the series just won't/can't fit into one book). Though the events in ADOS will progress further than in TWOW. Certain POVs will be cut by the end of book 7, because those characters will either die, or the POVs will be consolidated. For example - Sam will return to Jon, so we will be getting info from their side only from one of them, not both, like it was before. Etc.

So he knows for sure that there will be 7 books, because he already planed out the general outline for all of them (a lot of the events that will hapen in the very end of the series were already revealed to the readers, thru numerous foreshadowings). Though, planing out the general outline is not the same as writing/completing the book. So he can't say now that he is near done with both books. Because that's not how it is. Despite him already knowing the basics of how this or that plotline will end in the series, the actual writing is still far away from "The End" line. And, if there will be 8 books, then it will happen only because printing capabilities are not without a limit, not all publishers can print books with 1000+ pages. So if there will be a split, it will be not because of bad planning ahead on GRRM's part.

17 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Which is strange in and of itself, because I assumed that big nobles knew most other big nobles, at least by name.  

Euron always was a troublemaker, to put it mildly (when they were children, he was sexually abusing his younger brothers. Also - did their father really died in a battle, or was he killed by Euron?). So it's likely that his family kept him as their dirty secret, and he wasn't introduced at the royal court in KL. Thus people knew about him, that there's this Ironborn captain who is one of King Balon's numerous brothers, but didn't knew him personally.

Also it was Euron's idea to burn Lannister fleet at Lannisport, during the Greyjoy Rebellion in 289 AC (this is known only from the POVs of the Greyjoys, so could be that it isn't publicly known information that it was specifically Euron's doing. At least it wasn't known/advertised before). So it's likely that afterwards he wasn't welcomed at court, or anywhere near the Lannisters-Baratheons.

Additionally Euron also had spent a lot of time abroad, and he was in exile, so there's that. So the members of the Council didn't knew him. By the time of that meeting Euron was out of the spotlight for close to 10 years (since 289). Thus there's nothing strange that he was unknown to them.

And Aurane knew about Euron, though was staying quiet, because it's likely that he is working for Varys. And Varys wanted to cause maximum chaos in the 7K, before fAegon's arrival. If Euron will damage 7K's fleets, then it will be easier for the GC to invade, and to freely navigate the coast of the 7K.

Edited by Megorova

4 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Something I didn’t notice until someone else pointed it out is that Dany’s been in Meereen since the Clinton administration. For context: I was born during the Clinton administration.

Benjen Stark has been missing since 1996.

Bran's character is partially based on the Fisher King from Arthurian legends. And Bloodraven is the Wounded King.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_King

"He may be derived more or less directly from the figure of Brân the Blessed in the Mabinogion. In the Second Branch, Bran has a cauldron that can resurrect the dead (albeit imperfectly; those thus revived cannot speak) which he gives to the king of Ireland as a wedding gift for him and Bran's sister Branwen. Later, Bran wages war on the Irish and is wounded in the foot or leg, and the cauldron is destroyed. He asks his followers to sever his head and take it back to Britain, and his head continues talking and keeps them company on their trip."

Edited by Megorova

He had turned to cough into his gloved hand when another small shape crashed out of the hedge and bowled right into him, knocking him off his feet.

The boy went down as well, but he was up again almost at once. “What are you doing here?” he demanded as he brushed himself off. Jet-black hair fell to his collar, and his eyes were a startling blue. “You shouldn’t get in my way when I’m running.”

“No,” Davos agreed. “I shouldn’t.” Another fit of coughing seized him as he struggled to his knees.

“Are you unwell?” The boy took him by the arm and pulled him to his feet. “Should I summon the maester?”

In Storm, Davos comes back to Dragonstone. He is sick. Edric runs into him. We know that Edric gets sick later. He is then leeched by Pylos.

“But you are a friend to me. She knows that as well.” He beckoned Davos closer. “The boy is sick. Maester Pylos has been leeching him.”

Melisandre, of course, uses these Leeches to do her magic show. 

Is it possible that Mel set up Edric to run into Davos in order to get him sick knowing he would be leeched? 

There is no evidence for this that I am aware of, but I found it interesting. 

The symptoms of the sickness are very similar. 

Stannis waved a hand, dismissing his concern. “It is a chill, no more. He coughs, he shivers, he has a fever. Maester Pylos will soon set him right. By himself the boy is nought, you understand, but in his veins flows my brother’s blood. There is power in a king’s blood, she says.”

On 2/17/2022 at 1:39 PM, Castellan said:

My take is the Other emerges to size him up. When Waymar raises and thus displays his sword the Other 'watches the moonlight running coldly along the metal" and  for a minute Will dares to hope because he sees the Other is considering his sword - he hopes with fear

Cant help but wonder if they were looking for something specific in the sword, didn't find it and then cut up the kid because he wasn't who they were looking for.

On 3/2/2022 at 5:20 PM, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Cant help but wonder if they were looking for something specific in the sword, didn't find it and then cut up the kid because he wasn't who they were looking for.

This comes from hindsight and five books.

The description of Waymar's sword gives away what the Other is looking for. 

The Other halted. Will saw its eyes; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice. They fixed on the longsword trembling on high, watched the moonlight running cold along the metal. (Prologue, AGoT)

The moonlight is running cold along the metal.

Description of Lightbringer from the Jade Compendium;

"I looked at that book Maester Aemon left me. The Jade Compendium. The pages that told of Azor Ahai. Lightbringer was his sword. Tempered with his wife's blood if Votar can be believed. Thereafter Lighbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm." (Jon III, ADwD 10)

This is what the Other is looking for. Waymar's sword is cold. Just like Stannis's Lightbringer is. The real Lightbringer should be a warm sword. The Others cannot stand against against Lightbringer/dragonsteel.

Edited by Alexis-something-Rose