Where are gilly and aemon right now?

Daenerysthegreat

We haven't had a Sam chapter since the end of AFFC, so we don't know. In fact, we should see a Sam chapter among the first in TWOW. If the plans outlined in the last Sam chapter go as intended, Gilly should be already at Horn Hill with Sam's family, Aemon's body should have been burned at the Citadel and Marwyn should be sailing towards Slaver's Bay. We will see if everything worked.

28 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

We haven't had a Sam chapter since the end of AFFC, so we don't know. In fact, we should see a Sam chapter among the first in TWOW. If the plans outlined in the last Sam chapter go as intended, Gilly should be already at Horn Hill with Sam's family, Aemon's body should have been burned at the Citadel and Marwyn should be sailing towards Slaver's Bay. We will see if everything worked.

I was talking about aemon steelsong

I think that Gilly and Aemon will travel to Horn Hill offscreen: perhaps with a flashback to their departure from Oldtown in a Sam POV chapter.  At this point I almost want GRRM to start cutting out anything that doesn't move the main storylines forward.

I am hoping they are on Marwyn’s ship, bound for Slaver’s Bay. The story lines in Essos are my favorites. Gilly can be of service to Daenerys. She will make an adequate replacement for Doreah. Aemon’s remains may be properly cremated by dragon fire.  And Mance’s baby can be raised in such a way as to recognize Daenerys as his legitimate monarch.  He could be used to bring the wildlings over to her side. 

2 hours ago, Arataniello said:

I think that Gilly and Aemon will travel to Horn Hill offscreen: perhaps with a flashback to their departure from Oldtown in a Sam POV chapter.  At this point I almost want GRRM to start cutting out anything that doesn't move the main storylines forward.

Agreed, we have way too many POVs. I think GRRM will cut a lot of POVs in TWOW. Aemon Steelsong and Aemon Targaryen are both really magically important. They both have kingsblood in them. If Marwyn is truly a bad guy, Gilly is definitely dead and either Aemon Steelsong or Aemon's corpse will be used to control the winds so Marwyn can get to Slaver's Bay.

9 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

There is very good reason to think this plan won't happen simply because George spelled it out for us in the text. When he shows us a character's plans for the future, the plan almost always goes awry somehow. 

12 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

I seriously doubt it.  Nothing ever does work as planned in this series.  And given that we haven't had a Sam chapter, I'm guessing that it is spoilerish.  I also recall Sam wondering to himself whether sending them to Horn Hill would be a good idea, in light of Euron's attacks.  It'd probably more vulnerable than Oldtown is.  My guess is that they are somewhere in Oldtown, and that Gilly, at least, will have a substantial role in Sam's story.

I seriously doubt that they are on their way to Slaver's Bay.  I don't really see a useful purpose for that.  And even if Marwyn is a bad guy, which I doubt, unless his abilities are far beyond anything reasonable, he has no way of knowing the baby's true parentage, since Sam kept that fact to himself.

7 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

There is very good reason to think this plan won't happen simply because George spelled it out for us in the text. When he shows us a character's plans for the future, the plan almost always goes awry somehow. 

Siege/Battle of Oldtown awry? 

4 hours ago, Nevets said:

I seriously doubt it.  Nothing ever does work as planned in this series.  And given that we haven't had a Sam chapter, I'm guessing that it is spoilerish.  I also recall Sam wondering to himself whether sending them to Horn Hill would be a good idea, in light of Euron's attacks.  It'd probably more vulnerable than Oldtown is.  My guess is that they are somewhere in Oldtown, and that Gilly, at least, will have a substantial role in Sam's story.

It's much safer in Oldtown. The walls are thick, strong and high, defended by "thousands of men" and it's likely peasants would be armed and fighting alongside the garrison (i.e. City Watch, household knights and men at arms). 

14 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Agreed, we have way too many POVs. I think GRRM will cut a lot of POVs in TWOW. Aemon Steelsong and Aemon Targaryen are both really magically important. They both have kingsblood in them. If Marwyn is truly a bad guy, Gilly is definitely dead and either Aemon Steelsong or Aemon's corpse will be used to control the winds so Marwyn can get to Slaver's Bay.

It is confirmed there will only be 13 POVs, altough there is 19 (I think) of them alive. 

10 hours ago, Nevets said:

Sure. That the plan is so clearly spelled, it might be an indication that it won't work. But not necessarily. It will depend on the GRRMs plans for them. Pretty sure we are going to see Horn Hill at some point. Certainly Sam will remain in Oldtown. My pet scenario is Sam leading an exodus of refugees from Oldtown towards Horn Hill with some maesters, acolytes, warriors and other people taking as many books and treasures from the Citadel as they can before Euron invades.

10 hours ago, Nevets said:

I seriously doubt that they are on their way to Slaver's Bay.  I don't really see a useful purpose for that.  And even if Marwyn is a bad guy, which I doubt, unless his abilities are far beyond anything reasonable, he has no way of knowing the baby's true parentage, since Sam kept that fact to himself.

I think only Marwyn will go to Dany, the rest will remain. I think Marwyn will play a role among the new and strange court of councilors that Dany will have, who will include Tyrion, Moqorro and others.

2 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

It is confirmed there will only be 13 POVs, altough there is 19 (I think) of them alive. 

There are 20 actually, cat was revived. 

If there only 13 pov the story can't go on. Cam you tell me where it was confirmed because I saw the authors not a blog and didn't see this. 

Even if there are 13,Sam has to be one of them his story is too important

1 hour ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

There are 20 actually, cat was revived. 

If there only 13 pov the story can't go on. Cam you tell me where it was confirmed because I saw the authors not a blog and didn't see this. 

Even if there are 13,Sam has to be one of them his story is too important

why not? 

Cat won't have a chapter due to her zombiness

with Tyrion in Mereen , there won't be any need of Baristan and Victarion

there will be either Jamie or Brienne . not both of them

Jon's supposedly dead so he won't be a POV this or there won't be any Mel

Asha could be omitted as long as Theon's with her

so there can easily be 14 POVs and these are just the ones that came to my mind

17 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

why not? 

Cat won't have a chapter due to her zombiness

with Tyrion in Mereen , there won't be any need of Baristan and Victarion

there will be either Jamie or Brienne . not both of them

Jon's supposedly dead so he won't be a POV this or there won't be any Mel

Asha could be omitted as long as Theon's with her

so there can easily be 14 POVs and these are just the ones that came to my mind

But that's not the authors style.The character development is important and most of it is internal

Just now, Daenerysthegreat said:

But that's not the authors style.The character development is important and most of it is internal

yes but there's another book too and you don't necessary need  to be in someone head to see their development.  

4 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

yes but there's another book too and you don't necessary need  to be in someone head to see their development.  

Actually you do need to be inside their head . It is kind of the point meant by internal development. 

A dream for spring would have to extremely big if we are pushing all of brienne development there. 

14 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Actually you do need to be inside their head . It is kind of the point meant by internal development. 

A dream for spring would have to extremely big if we are pushing all of brienne development there. 

I don't agree with you there. we can see story arc and development for characters who have never been POV. as for the POV ones,  though we don't see the inner conflict of each person , we can relate their actions and the situations they are in with their desires and motives that we already know because we now know these POV characters and we know/guess what they think of in any scenario . 

if you truly think this won't suffice , you should take your case to G Martin himself;)

43 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

as for the POV ones,  though we don't see the inner conflict of each person , we can relate their actions and the situations they are in with their desires and motives that we already know because we now know these POV characters and we know/guess what they think of in any scenario . 

I believe Jon not being a POV will be really interesting. The world will turn over his head in TWOW, and we will always be interested in what may he reveal about how he feels about certain things trough other POVs.

Archived