NHL 2021-2022

Lord Patrek

Well, the best news is, there are apparently just a handful of players, who refused to get vaccinated. Of course, that was probably in no small part down to Canadian health policies making life difficult for players on US teams, who would've lost quite a bit of their salary if they were inelligible due to their refusal to vaxxed.

Price voluntarily entered the player's association assistance program:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/carey-price-montreal-canadiens-player-assistance-program-1.6203082

No one is saying anything about the possible cause, other than it appears to be mental health related. So your guess is as good as mine.

Meanwhile, MTL is 0-3 and it doesn't look good for the rest of the month. The Habs can't buy a goal, it seems. 3 goals in 3 games is unacceptable. And given that Hoffman is the only forward missing (what with Byron being out for most of the season), there is no reason why we can't generate offense. We knew since before Price opted out that we'd have trouble this year because of a relatively weak defensive unit. But scoring goals was never supposed to be a problem for us.

Looks like it's going to be a long season for Habs fans. . . :(

• 2 weeks later...

Quenneville was at the bottom of the totem pole, so to speak. Once the president of hockey operations said that he's take care of it and that everyone else just needed to concentrate on the Stanley Cup finals, there was little else the head coach could do.  But he knew.

Bettman is supposed to meet him today, I believe. But given Quenneville's position, I actually expect him to keep his job. There might be a fine and there should be a mea culpa from him.

Other heads will roll, however. Every man from that 2010 front office who still works for an NHL team or anything that has to do with sports will either have to resigne or be fired.

This story might engender other investigations and I reckon there are a lot of hockey people who are shitting themselves right now.

Didn't follow the story that closeley (not really headline news around this part of the world).

But Bowman's (probably self serving) side of the story didn't make sound like he's the main culprit.

I was in the job for 2 months, when I heard about it. I felt I wasn't long enough at the franchise at that moment to appropriately deal with it. So I passed it on to the board. They told me they'd take care of things.

Of course, he obviously should've kept on the ball and asked for updates from his superiors, but Quenneville had been at the Hawks longer, and he had direct contact with the scout and the players. So he shouldn't get off easy on this one either.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

I doubt he keeps his job. The quote (paraphrasing) that winning the SC is more important than stopping sexual assault is damning beyond repair. He’s not just going to get fired, he’ll probably never work in the NHL again.

Yeah, but hard to see how Quenneville was unaware of the situation. At best he turned a blind eye towards it. If Quenneville had pushed for the dismissal of the scout, it's hard to see the franchise picking the scout over their headcoach.

The report confirms that Quenneville was aware of the situation. But the Blackhawks' president told all the hockey people to concentrate on the finals. This happened just as Chicago one the Conference's finals and was going to play for the Stanley Cup.

As the head coach, Quenneville couldn't gainsay the upper echelons of the team's hierarchy and was probably happy to push this problem out of his mind. He knew about it, no question. But essentially couldn't do anything about it, even if he wanted to.

Which is why I think that he might get away with this, even if he must pay a hefty fine and will always have to live with the consequences of his actions or lack thereof. All the front office people should get the axe, though.

7 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

The report confirms that Quenneville was aware of the situation. But the Blackhawks' president told all the hockey people to concentrate on the finals. This happened just as Chicago one the Conference's finals and was going to play for the Stanley Cup.

As the head coach, Quenneville couldn't gainsay the upper echelons of the team's hierarchy and was probably happy to push this problem out of his mind. He knew about it, no question. But essentially couldn't do anything about it, even if he wanted to.

Which is why I think that he might get away with this, even if he must pay a hefty fine and will always have to live with the consequences of his actions or lack thereof. All the front office people should get the axe, though.

Nah. Quenneville is done. I doubt he ever coaches again. 

11 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Nah. Quenneville is done. I doubt he ever coaches again. 

I think it's telling that he flew back to FL rather than go where his team was heading. He might have been able to survive lying about knowing about the situation, but I'll repeat, the comments attributed to him are absolutely disgusting and warrant an immediate firing.