N + W = J

Daenerysthegreat

I have believed in this fact since I started reading the first book for the first time. I think this is the true theory for Jon's parentage. 

Evidence is

1) When The usurper asks ned stark who is Jon's mother, ned says it's wylla. Now we all know that ned stark would never lie to his best friend. 

2) When arya meets ned dayne m, he tells her that ned stark and ashara dayne were lovers but ned had a child on wylla who is currently serving in starfall. 

Both of these statements are verifable I believe. Anyone can verify it. I believe it will be verified when areo hotah arrives at starfall to search for darkstar and meets wylla. 

18 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

Wylla was Jon and Edric's milk nurse. She must have been present at the ToJ when Lyanna died. I think arthur dayne had initially brought her to the ToJ from Starfall. after lyanna died she returned to the daynes in starfall.

That means jon is lyanna's which is not possible

1 minute ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Well 

1) You don't hide your sister's child in plain sight where everyone can see him. 

2) It is very difficult for ned stark to shut up all the people involved in the secret

1) If his sister's child had targaryen or dayne features then he'd definitely not kept him at winterfell in plain sight...most likely he'd kept him in starfall. But since Jon has no targaryen features and has stark features (implying ned is the father) then its ok to keep him in plain sight. ned does take measures to keep jon hidden or in the back during roberts visit to winterfell.

2) he trusted the 6 companions he took to starfall. they'd be expected to keep whatever happened a secret. he picked them cus he trusted them. howland has kept it a secret. and we haven't heard anything from wylla the starfall wetnurse or lyannas other attendants. they must have been persuaded to keep their mouths shut. 

49 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

I have believed in this fact since I started reading the first book for the first time. I think this is the true theory for Jon's parentage. 

Evidence is

1) When The usurper asks ned stark who is Jon's mother, ned says it's wylla. Now we all know that ned stark would never lie to his best friend. 

2) When arya meets ned dayne m, he tells her that ned stark and ashara dayne were lovers but ned had a child on wylla who is currently serving in starfall. 

Both of these statements are verifable I believe. Anyone can verify it. I believe it will be verified when areo hotah arrives at starfall to search for darkstar and meets wylla. 

Ned will lie to anybody and everybody if he sees an absolute pressing need to.  In any case, the quote is ambiguous.   It's unclear if he is merely confirming what was said in the past, or is actually saying she is the mother.  And neither Edric Dayne nor the person who told him has any real knowledge. 

If Wylla is Jon's mother, Ned has no reason not to say so,  and good reasons to do so.  It eliminates the suspicion that Lyanna is the mother, which is guess able because of the timing and undisclosed parentage.  And the normal procedure would be to leave him with his mother, and acknowledge the child. 

7 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Well 

1) You don't hide your sister's child in plain sight where everyone can see him. 

2) It is very difficult for ned stark to shut up all the people involved in the secret

1.  Of course you do,  especially if it is feasible to claim fatherhood yourself.  Given Jon's looks that is feasible. 

2.  Who knows?  Some Dornish servants, the Daynes, and the men with him, of whom only Howland Reed survived.  The Daynes and the Dornish have reason to keep quiet, given their antipathy towards Robert.   Anyway, security is an issue wherever he is.

Ned never said that Wylla was Jon's mother

“What was her name, that common girl of yours? Becca? No, she was one of mine, gods love her, black hair and these sweet big eyes, you could drown in them. Yours was … Aleena? No. You told me once. Was it Merryl? You know the one I mean, your bastard’s mother?”
“Her name was Wylla,” Ned replied with cool courtesy, “and I would sooner not speak of her.”
“Wylla. Yes.” The king grinned. “She must have been a rare wench if she could make Lord Eddard Stark forget his honor, even for an hour. You never told me what she looked like…”
Ned’s mouth tightened in anger. “Nor will I. Leave it be, Robert, for the love you say you bear me. I dishonored myself and I dishonored Catelyn, in the sight of gods and men.”

If she was Jon's mother and since she was alive four years after Jon's birth, at least, there is no reason why Ned never told Jon about her. Jon doesn't even know her name and somehow there is no mystery there? Ok. :dunno:

27 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

1) If his sister's child had targaryen or dayne features then he'd definitely not kept him at winterfell in plain sight...most likely he'd kept him in starfall. But since Jon has no targaryen features and has stark features (implying ned is the father) then its ok to keep him in plain sight. ned does take measures to keep jon hidden or in the back during roberts visit to winterfell.

Actually ned stark didn't take any measures at all to keep jon hidden. The idea of him not sitting with his family was cat's. Even if it wasn't it would be an grave insult to the Royal family to seat a bastard among them. 

29 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

2) he trusted the 6 companions he took to starfall. they'd be expected to keep whatever happened a secret. he picked them cus he trusted them. howland has kept it a secret. and we haven't heard anything from wylla the starfall wetnurse or lyannas other attendants. they must have been persuaded to keep their mouths shut. 

You can't keep everyone shut. Sooner or later someone will tell. Someone always tells. 

24 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Ned will lie to anybody and everybody if he sees an absolute pressing need to.  In any case, the quote is ambiguous.   It's unclear if he is merely confirming what was said in the past, or is actually saying she is the mother.  And neither Edric Dayne nor the person who told him has any real knowledge. 

If wylla is at starfall. Edric can just confirm it with her and it seems like he did. 

25 minutes ago, Nevets said:

If Wylla is Jon's mother, Ned has no reason not to say so,  and good reasons to do so.  It eliminates the suspicion that Lyanna is the mother, which is guess able because of the timing and undisclosed parentage.  And the normal procedure would be to leave him with his mother, and acknowledge the child. 

If I were honourable ned stark I would think like this. I have shamed my wife enough by bringing my bastard to live with us. It was all because of the woman l, my greatest shame. I want to forget that woman. 

3 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Ned never said that Wylla was Jon's mother

You just gave the me the quote that says he did. 

4 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

What was her name, that common girl of yours? Becca? No, she was one of mine, gods love her, black hair and these sweet big eyes, you could drown in them. Yours was … Aleena? No. You told me once. Was it Merryl? You know the one I mean, your bastard’s mother?”
“Her name was Wylla,” Ned replied with cool courtesy, “and I would sooner not speak of her.”
“Wylla. Yes.” The king grinned. “She must have been a rare wench if she could make Lord Eddard Stark forget his honor, even for an hour. You never told me what she looked like…”
Ned’s mouth tightened in anger. “Nor will I. Leave it be, Robert, for the love you say you bear me. I dishonored myself and I dishonored Catelyn, in the sight of gods and men.”

Look the usuper asks ned who is his bastard mother, ned says it's wylla. He didn't speak her name because she was a blot on his white shirt he would rather ignore

3 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Look the usuper asks ned who is his bastard mother, ned says it's wylla. He didn't speak her name because she was a blot on his white shirt he would rather ignore

No. Robert asks the name of Ned's because he doesn't remember what Ned told him once. Ned never said Wylla is Jon's mother.

1 minute ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

No. Robert asks the name of Ned's because he doesn't remember what Ned told him once. Ned never said Wylla is Jon's mother.

Didn't you read the quote you yourself gave me. The usurper confirmed that he was talking about Ned's bastards mother

6 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

What was her name, that common girl of yours? Becca? No, she was one of mine, gods love her, black hair and these sweet big eyes, you could drown in them. Yours was … Aleena? No. You told me once. Was it Merryl? You know the one I mean, your bastard’s mother?”

Look

1 minute ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Didn't you read the quote you yourself gave me. The usurper confirmed that he was talking about Ned's bastard's mother

I have and I never read Ned calling Wylla Jon's mother. The only time he does speaks her name is when he is pressured by Robert. If Wylla was Jon's mother there is no logical reason why Jon never heard of her or why Jon was raised away from her. 

36 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Actually ned stark didn't take any measures at all to keep jon hidden. The idea of him not sitting with his family was cat's. Even if it wasn't it would be an grave insult to the Royal family to seat a bastard among them. 

You can't keep everyone shut. Sooner or later someone will tell. Someone always tells. 

If wylla is at starfall. Edric can just confirm it with her and it seems like he did. 

If I were honourable ned stark I would think like this. I have shamed my wife enough by bringing my bastard to live with us. It was all because of the woman l, my greatest shame. I want to forget that woman. 

Nobody has said anything yet.  And that would be a concern wherever he lived.

Wylla may be at Starfall, but Edric has been with Beric for several years.  The person that told him was Allyria Dayne, Beric's betrothed.  It's likely they met on a visit sometime.  And for Edric to ask Wylla about it would be highly intrusive, especially since he has no reason to ask in the first place. 

If Ned shamed his wife by bringing Jon home, then why did he do so in the first place?  There is no obstacle to leaving him with Wylla if she is the mother but he obviously can't leave him with Lyanna and likely promised to raise Jon himself. 

It is not entirely clear which of Roberts question Ned really answers, this one:

or this one:

What was her name, that common girl of yours? Becca? No, she was one of mine, gods love her, black hair and these sweet big eyes, you could drown in them. Yours was … Aleena? No. You told me once. Was it Merryl? You know the one I mean, your bastard’s mother?

The outcome is very different, and many who believe in R+L=J say it was the first question. If he answers the first one, he only tells Robert the Name, but does NOT say its Jons mother. If its the other one around he would tell you N+W=J.

But well, both are entirely possible ;)

1 hour ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

He did say I explained it to you like 3 times. I'll explain it again. 

The usurper asked which was Ned's whore, he then says that he was talking about Ned's bastard's mother to which he replies wylla. Ned's lover and Jon's mother is wylla simple. 

34 minutes ago, Nevets said:

If Ned shamed his wife by bringing Jon home, then why did he do so in the first place?  There is no obstacle to leaving him with Wylla if she is the mother but he obviously can't leave him with Lyanna and likely promised to raise Jon himself. 

For the love he bears towards his son. The life as ned stark's bastard in ned stark's own region would be better than leaving him in dorne. Jon has greater opportunities for his career in the North. 

9 minutes ago, TheSamsa said:

The outcome is very different, and many who believe in R+L=J say it was the first question. If he answers the first one, he only tells Robert the Name, but does NOT say its Jons mother. If its the other one around he would tell you N+W=J.

But well, both are entirely possible ;)

Many? it seems like everyone aside from me believes in that lyanna theory. 

9 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

The life as ned stark's bastard in ned stark's own region would be better than leaving him in dorne.

That is the exact opposite of what we know from the books. The life of a bastard in Dorne is the best kind of life a bastard can have.

11 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

He did say I explained it to you like 3 times. I'll explain it again. 

The usurper asked which was Ned's whore, he then says that he was talking about Ned's bastard's mother to which he replies wylla. Ned's lover and Jon's mother is wylla simple

There is a reason behind your choice of obscenities?You haven't answered me, if Wylla is Jon's motherly he doesn't know about her? 

2 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

That is the exact opposite of what we know from the books. The life of a bastard in Dorne is the best kind of life a bastard can have.

There is a big difference in dorne he will be treated like this son of a foreign Lord and our kitchen wench. This position there will derive from wylla. He will be treated like a son of a landed knight or so I believe. It's not as good as the North. 

4 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

There is a reason behind your choice of obscenities?You haven't answered me, if Wylla is Jon's motherly he doesn't know about her? 

Because ned stark never told him. I have explained this before. Ned stark felt ashamed of wylla. He didn't want to remember her. I highly doubt he would have his son going after her, disrupting his peaceful life. Better she stays a secret

3 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

There is a big difference in dorne he will be treated like this son of a foreign Lord and our kitchen wench. This position there will derive from wylla. He will be treated like a son of a landed knight or so I believe. It's not as good as the North. 

There is nothing in the books to suggest that. Especially if he was raised in Dorne as a ward along with money that Ned could sent him, his life would had been free of the stigma.

5 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Because ned stark never told him. I have explained this before. Ned stark felt ashamed of wylla. He didn't want to remember her. I highly doubt he would have his son going after her, disrupting his peaceful life. Better she stays a secret

By your words, Ned made chose to torment Jon his whole life in order to keep his shame hidden?

1 minute ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

By your words, Ned made chose to torment Jon his whole life in order to keep his shame hidden?

Where does tormenting even come from? Not telling Jon his mother's name is not torment. I believe there is nothing in the books that suggests that Jon ever asked ned who his mother was. Ned might have told Jon but Jon never asked

Archived