Succession [spoilers]

RumHam

4 hours ago, Ran said:

The fact that Shiv even voiced the whole "it's smart" thing is the failure, I think, because in his mind if she's even willing to contemplate it it means that it won't take much for Logan to push her to go for it.

I agree with this, but the bolded is where I'm pushing back against Tom and some viewers of the show (not specifically those on this forum). If you're going to do a test of character on someone, then you have to at least consider how the person would approach it. Tom not accounting for Shiv's devil's advocate approach is why I can't really take his side on this.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

I think Kendall saw his disruption as not a personal attack but just a statement hijacking a corporate event -- he wasn't launching it at Shiv directly. Yes, she felt furious to the point of tears over it because it embarrassed her at the moment she went up to speak, but she was just spouting corporate nothings anyways -- it wasn't really her  that was the target.

This is an interesting perspective and one that also fits Kendall’s character, right down to leaving the boxes in his office, as opposed to the popular fan theory doing the rounds. It's not enough to make me go back on my initial thoughts as there were way too many hints in the previous episodes that this was kinda personal but I'll take it into consideration going forward. Although I'm not sure which one makes Kendall look worse, him not thinking about how Shiv would be affected by being collateral damage, or him not considering how Shiv would retaliate.

6 hours ago, Ran said:

hey had limited options in the time frame they were working

Nah. This stuff is deliberate choice by the show.  Look at Geri fer pete's sake!  The non-Roy women on the show dress in the same sharp etc. manner that NY high calibre performing do in real life, including hair.  The Roy women -- are -- well, always, just off.

The security guard has been around a lot, in many episodes, hes mostly always in the background tho. You can spot him in almost any scene that has Logan interacting with the real world. He's Logan's fixer. 

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

*Somehow Logan Roy’s bespokes do fit him perfectly though. No one else’s do.

Well, based on your own analysis, if your theory is right, there is a very good reason for that, isn't there? 

Can knowledge of the crash still be used as a leverage against Ken? The only people who know about it are the ones who covered it up, thus incriminating themselves.

Considering that they are under this huge investigation about coverups from decades ago that threaten to take the whole company down, this new scandal would be a disaster, especially for Logan.

2 hours ago, Cashless Society said:

Tom not accounting for Shiv's devil's advocate approach is why I can't really take his side on this.

Maybe, but she already did this before at the S2 finale, and he believed it was settled between them. Then the fact that she doesn't let it go with a "We discussed this last time, not happening" ... well, that may be her personality to play devil's advocate and look at things from all sides, but her not being committed to just flat out saying no after the previous conversation (which wasn't all that long ago, show-time-wise)... I can see why he reads it as he does, and I think he's right to. If push comes to shove, I don't think she'll stand up for him, not now that Kendall has thrown them into a new struggle.

I ate some edible worms earlier so I need to rewatch this one. 

[spoiler]

I was so sure Roman was going to suggest drawing over the tattoo with a sharpie.

"good band" - Logan Roy on those punks from Liverpool. 

also maybe this was meant to be clear before, but Logan views "a need to be liked" as a weakness.  Roman is doomed. 

Say what you will about Greg as a character, Nicholas Braun is doing some good shit. "are you ok tom?" Like is that the first time we've seen him not in nervous bullshit mode?

Would rich people really eat outside just off the water in that cold? I counted five layers on Brody and it just sounded cold. 

Fuck I hate Kendall. but with a question mark. 

"dad's gonna give me my bedtime bath" again, really curious wtf happened to Roman as a kid. 

[/spoiler]

Edit: sorry I dunno how you do that anymore? 

Everybody fuckin' over everybody all over yet AGAIN. Guess that's how it works in families that control great big amounts of wealth and influence over all us little people's lives.  Of course in the end they will stand together to preserve that, unless one or more of them can possibly figure a path to cut down all the rest of the family and remain standing.  Everyone one of these jerkwaddies are incompetent to do that -- except Logan.  Woo, how once again he shafted the shiv.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Of course in the end they will stand together to preserve that, unless one or more of them can possibly figure a path to cut down all the rest of the family and remain standing.  

the season ending "shocking twist" should be that they lose the vote. Let the final season be about the aftermath and them trying in vein to reconnect with each other after the gold rush and the betrayals and jail time. 

for the finale I'd love to see something like six feet under's final musical sequence expanded to a whole episode. 

The title of this week's episode was very appropriate given Logan's arrogance/stubbornness.

I know Shiv is definitely not suited for such a high level position and that the show is actually depicting why that is. But she wasn't wrong in trying to get the Sandy/Stewy issue resolved ASAP. The shareholder meeting is only 4 days away and Stewy already told Logan last season that everyday they're convincing more shareholders to side with them and not Logan, so why is Logan taking Karl's side when Sandy/Stewy are clearly just wasting Karl's time by pretending that there's a "deal space".

Love, love how the Logan and Kendall were framed side-by-side to show how similar the two are, despite how neither of them will admit that.

What is everybody's feelings on Josh Aaronson? Was he always going to side with Stewy and just had Logan over so that "King Kong could dance for him"? Or was he playing both sides and testing to see if Logan and Kendall could put this issue behind them and come together for the good of the company?

I take it that the informal agreement between the Roy siblings is pretty much shattered now with Roman willing to expose the forehead tattoo and Connor threatening to expose more secrets if he doesn't get a position he's comfortable with in his campaign for president?

Tom googling different types of prison? Shiv, if you're not taking that as a sign to take your husband seriously, you're hopeless. 

So Greg will only tell Tom what he wants but not Logan? I also find it interesting that it's the same position he asked Logan for in the Pilot. Also, how much of Greg's change in loyalty was the result of Kendall not buying him the Rolex? (And also, does anyone know the paintings that were on the wall when Logan and Greg were talking?)

This video has aged like fine wine

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

1) Say what you will about Greg as a character, Nicholas Braun is doing some good shit. "are you ok tom?" Like is that the first time we've seen him not in nervous bullshit mode?

2) Would rich people really eat outside just off the water in that cold? I counted five layers on Brody and it just sounded cold.

1) I'm pretty sure he had a serious look when he rejected his grandfather's interference offer in favour of advancing his career in Waystar.

2) Well, this is a guy who wants "King Kong to dance for him".

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

the season ending "shocking twist" should be that they lose the vote. Let the final season be about the aftermath and them trying in vein to reconnect with each other after the gold rush and the betrayals and jail time.

There's no way they'd stretch four days into 5 episodes, besides 

Spoiler

The promo for next week shows the shareholder meeting. 

Good episode. Brody is good at playing these insufferable jackasses.

Right new, Kendall is pretty much dead, which is why someone will turn to his side (money's on Tom).

1 hour ago, Cashless Society said:

What is everybody's feelings on Josh Aaronson? Was he always going to side with Stewy and just had Logan over so that "King Kong could dance for him"? Or was he playing both sides and testing to see if Logan and Kendall could put this issue behind them and come together for the good of the company?

So Greg will only tell Tom what he wants but not Logan? I also find it interesting that it's the same position he asked Logan for in the Pilot. Also, how much of Greg's change in loyalty was the result of Kendall not buying him the Rolex? (And also, does anyone know the paintings that were o

Aaronson is a mercenary, and wanted to see who would pay more. Plus, yeah, he wanted to see King Kong dance for him. But with Kendall refusing to back down, and Logan clearly in not the best physical shape, he saw that Sandy/Stewy were the best option.

Greg wanted some time to think about it. But I don't think he definitively chose a side yet, he'll probably switch. 

@RumHam

They phased out BBCode with this version of the forum. However, the eye symbol in the menu bar provides a spoiler box, or you can highlight text and then use it and it'll place it in the spoiler box.

Re: Nicholas Braun, they have used him a lot better since that first episode. He was fun in this one. Though, speaking of the Greg thread of the story, I did not like that he signs the joint defense agreement off camera.

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

He just absolutely slays me. 

Yeah, his crack up over the prison life was hilarious.

8 hours ago, Cashless Society said:

(And also, does anyone know the paintings that were on the wall when Logan and Greg were talking?)

The one behind Logan is Portrait of Louise de Kéroualle, Duchess of Portsmouth, by Peter Lely, from 1671. She was Charles II's mistress. The one behind Greg was a tough one, until I decided to see if the fact that the portrait was in the J. Paul Getty Museum might mean that one was as well -- and so it was: Mountain Landscape with River and Wagon by Herman Nauwincx and Willem Schellinks. Also from the  third quarter of the 17th century. Someone really thought about how a billionaire would have his art arranged.

7 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Good episode. Brody is good at playing these insufferable jackasses.

Insufferable jackass... yeah, perfect term for the Aaronson character. 

That was boring.  I made a bet with myself early in that Logan would go MIA again, with health emergency.  What he does now when business crises boil. But, O my! did the writers room love having Roman call private jets, ‘pjs.’  That was good. The only good bit in the entire ep. though.  :cheers: 

Oh, there was definitely a good deal to laugh about this episode. Greg's reaction to learning his grandfather was fed up with him and was leaving his fortune to Greenpeace ("Uhm... wha-- even my part?" "That was the first part." And then his decision to try and sue his grandfather in a good, "I love you" kind of way). Connor explaining that Reagan almost nuked Belgium when a UTI drove him crazy and Shiv's reaction to it as if she actually believed him (sounds like Connor has a very garbled recollection of Able Archer 83), Geri telling Frank to stretch the presentation and his pivoting to calling her up, and a few more.

I loved the chaos behind the scenes of the meeting, though Kendall coming in to reliably try to blow things up again was rather predictable. Logan blocking his number seems like a pretty mild response. Probably the biggest thing to come out of it all is that the president isn't running for a second term, which has some real implications for the future with DOJ.

Finally, however funny Greg's antics were, it does really underscore that he's not just some idiot trying to keep his head above water while the sociopaths of the Roy family circle around snapping at anything and everything, but that he's a greedy and completely self-interested idiot if he's willing to try and sue over his inheritance as if he deserves a penny of it.

It was obvious that the Roys wouldn't lose control of the company in a mid-season episode (if that happens, will be at a season finale or end of series) but now the Sandys (lmao) have nearly as much power as they do. As for POTUS, I'm guessing the next one will be the Sanders analogue Shiv worked for, and he'll want to make an example of them.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is the parallels between Sandy and Logan- too old, sick men desperate clinging to power till the day they die, even if it kills them. Sandi also seem to indicate growing up under her dad was no picnic either.

Archived