Succession [spoilers]

RumHam

Loved the season finale. The scene with the three sibs on their own at the wedding was fantastic. My only gripe would be that it seemed obvious that it took several takes because sometimes, when sitting, they were in the shade, then they were in the sun, then shade, then sun, but they hadn't moved. I know it's a silly thing, but it made me twitchy... Other than that, amazing!

24 minutes ago, Tyria said:

Loved the season finale. The scene with the three sibs on their own at the wedding was fantastic. My only gripe would be that it seemed obvious that it took several takes because sometimes, when sitting, they were in the shade, then they were in the sun, then shade, then sun, but they hadn't moved. I know it's a silly thing, but it made me twitchy... Other than that, amazing!

I noticed that too with the shade/sun but it mostly just made me feel special that I noticed it lol. 

Because Strong changed the way he was doing the scene, after 9 previous takes, to get in the dirt, on his knees, getting dirt all over his hands and pants, that's why things look slightly out of whack.  Everything had to be reblocked, etc.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:57 PM, Ran said:

I'm willing to say that the combination of rumors of a "historic fine" damaging Waystar Royco and hype at the idea that GoJo could end up pivoting to buy Waystar Royco has led to a bubble for GoJo that may not represent "correct market value" now but is motivated by very strong expectations of its future. The speed of things is no doubt a bit accelerated for drama, though.

Yeah, that acceleration broke my suspension of disbelief, it would've played better if the starting point was from a merger instead of a buyout. 

I think that next season will have the GoJo bubble burst before the takeover is complete which is what will provide the siblings with an opening back into the company.

Thinking more about it, I have of course realized that all this divorce agreement stuff was a bit of sleight of hand. After all, lets say they do successfully ambush Logan with it before he talks with Caroline. What happens? Why, he goes to her, offers to give Peter his leg up. They, naturally, would try to counter -- but they don't have Logan's in with the British government, I expect, so they can't win, right?

The show could have changed things up, give them the upper hand at the end of the season only for it to be a fight for the next... but I guess it's better that the carpet is pulled out from under them now to leave them on the back foot. Also makes the way forward less clear, since it now seems to depend on convincing third parties to side with them and block the deal, or finding some way to sink GoJo or dissuade GoJo.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Haven't read the whole thread yet.

Am curious if anyone's mentioned how uncannily similar the theme music is to "Gangsta's Paradise"?

You're saying this - 

and this - 

sound "uncannily similar" ? 

Also, someone at the SuccessionTV reddit organized a competition to vote for your "LEAST FAVORITE" character. What's hilarious is that at a certain point fans of Tom absolutely embraced the possibility of his being the "LEAST FAVORITE". That and the jokers who loved the irony of Kendall yet again failing to achieve anything put Tom over the top to win.

Funny stuff.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

There's something to it, and others have made the connection. These use the same four chords, though in slightly different progressions.

Well, i must have no ear for music haha, because im not really hearing all that much similarity. 

5 hours ago, Ran said:

There's something to it, and others have made the connection. These use the same four chords, though in slightly different progressions.

We need Kendal to rap it.

Seriously I thought I was possibly misremembering my hip-hop fan days. But then I saw there were others online that heard it the same way and I was like coolio yo:D

One thing I realized the other day, Kendall was the one who gave Mattson the idea that he should buy Waystar rather than letting them buy GoJo. He says it at his birthday party. Oops!

This was the quickest I have binge watched a show in years. 3 seasons in over a week.

It’s just amazing isn’t it. What I love about it is that every singe character is pure awfulness, so much to hate. Yet there are always moments where they let you in and you just want to hug them.

Tom is such a shit, but also the most vulnerable. Maybe they are all utterly vulnerable which is why it’s so intriguing. It’s when you just get a glimmer of the real person, just for a flash that you understand why they are like how they are. 

I thought the finale was great. I expected this to be the last ever episode so disappointed that there might be more. I’d rather leave it with the kids being booted out and made to make their own way in the world.

Oh god the show is so full of conflicting emotions for me. I really wanted Kendall to take over, and yet he is uniquely awful and delusional. The show sets you up to want things to happen even if you know they will be bad or people don’t deserve them. The kids really don’t deserve the company, they deserve to be disinherited, and it would probably be good for them,  but you are made to feel like you want them to win. That’s the genius of the show I think.. that and the script which is always hilarious.

Also I just realised that Harriet Walters has been brilliant as a shit mom character recently in this, Ted Lasso and Killing eve. She’s so good

Nice video about Tom's journey on the show and his decision in the final episode of S3. 

Its made me want to go back and rewatch the entire thing from scratch (something I want to do anyway) and just pay special attention to Tom. Of course Tom was my favourite character anyway, he's just so fun to watch, but the show does a thing of tricking you into thinking this is Kendall's journey, always making you think he will have a redemptive moment that means he wins after all. It means you pay less attention to all the little things going on in the background that don't appear to important to the overall plot.

Tom appears to be a side character. He's a fun watch, but it never feels like hes going to be affecting the big picture, so while his relationship with Shiv is compelling, it wasn't my main focus. Now going back and seeing just how his mental state changes over the seasons, how his relationship with Logan evolves and what led him to those final events might very much change how I view the show. 

It might also change my opinion of S3, which I found a little convoluted and repetitive, in so much as there are only so many deals that fail that I can keep in my head, and all felt a little grindy at times. Not that I didn't love the season, but that if I focussed more on the other stuff, I might get more out of it.

Archived