Aurane Waters, dromonds and house Valerion

EggBlue

Aurone Waters and his Lord brother were allies of Stannis before the battle of blackwater. but his brother died and left his 6 year old son as Lord of Driftmark , while Aurone went on to become master of ships in Cersei's council due to his pretty face.

The last time we heard of Waters , it was in Cersei's last chapter in the feast. he had stolen all of the Crown's dromonds (which was a delight to read about for me). Pycelle thought he was going to the Stepstones to be a pirate and another council member feared Waters to join Stannis again.

now, house Valerion are a great house who had been of important courtiers in Aerys's court, yet now it seems they are down to a kid-lord on top of losing their almost constant influential position in Targaryen reign . we don't know if lady Valerion is alive or the kid has any older sisters to rule in his stead. we only know about his uncle Aurone. Aurone is a bastard but still after capturing Dragonstone with Loras, he expected to be lord of Dragonstone or at least something according to Cersei's thoughts.

I read in the wiki that in a winds of winter chapter (I don't know which one) there was a mention of some Lord of Waters who could be Aurone. but I've been thinking what if that's not the case? or that Aurone sees another opportunity in front of him?

we already have seen uncles trying rob their niece/nephew from their castles or at least assume regency in their name. we have also seen Aurone interested in being a lord and we know of a bastard who stood beside a Targaryen and went on to become a great lord ( talking about Mr. Baratheon of course) .

so, with Stannis up in freezing North and Dany stuck in Mereen who can this guy serve to get a castle and a title? perhaps even the ones that belong to his little nephew? well, YG is in Stormsend and he will most likely need some warships to aid Redwyne fleet in the fight with the ironborn assaulting the Reach, if he wishes to win the favor of Reach lords. my bet is this bastard will join Aegon which would also be a hint to all the alliances Targaryens and Valerions had over the years. 

what do you think?

1 hour ago, EggBlue said:

my bet is this bastard will join Aegon which would also be a hint to all the alliances Targaryens and Valerions had over the years. 

what do you think?

seems likely enough based on proximity if Aurane is in the step stones. just as well he may decide to just be a pirate prince like Sal and be his own man.  for the purpose of story telling though, I wouldn't be surprised if he joined one side or another. dany may be getting vic's fleet, so young griff getting his own fleet might even things out for the coming dance.

Agree, he seems in the perfect position to hop on the (f)Aegon train. It would actually be an ironic historical parallel if Aegon's host is marching on King's Landing and Aurane's dromonds approach and Cersei thinks she's saved at the last second, only for Aurane to start sacking the city once he has access. A bit of poetic justice there.

1 hour ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Waters versus Greyjoy

The two fleets are bound to meet at some point in time. Waters, Aegon, and Asha join forces and face off with Euron in the open seas. Odds are against Euron but he might pull out a victory. 

Maybe Aurane will end up marrying Asha, and then she can pass off Qarl the Maid’s bastard as his since they look the same :D This is my new head canon lol.

yeah it'll be a beautiful scene... Sweet Cersei be the downfall of Queen Cersei....

I feel like Euron won't be defeated by Aegon/Asha/Aurone alliance but it could send him to some corner for a while

11 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Maybe Aurane will end up marrying Asha, and then she can pass off Qarl the Maid’s bastard as his since they look the same :D This is my new head canon lol.

wait...what? Asha's pregnant?:blink:

21 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

yeah it'll be a beautiful scene... Sweet Cersei be the downfall of Queen Cersei....

I feel like Euron won't be defeated by Aegon/Asha/Aurone alliance but it could send him to some corner for a while

Aegon will have his moment of glory on the throne. Which can only happen if he defeats Cersei and Euron.  

3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

Wait... what? Qarl is not a maid? :blink:

3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

We don’t know yet. There’s a theory that she is since after she had sex with Qarl in ADWD she thinks about how she needs to find some moon tea, only to then be immediately captured by the northmen. 

I think he will take Dragonstone and get taken out by Dany. I would like an epilogue to TWoW being from Aurane's POV, with Dany's ships arriving and her attacking on Drogon.

The whole situation there and around the Stepstones I think are a setup for a Battle of the Stepstones situation a la Fire & Blood, with this serving to setup Dany as a power to reckon with while also allowing her to not just appear as a boogey man.

A mummer's dragon in a way.

A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd.

[...]

“A dead man in the prow of a ship, a blue rose, a banquet of blood … what does any of it mean, Khaleesi? A mummer’s dragon, you said. What is a mummer’s dragon, pray?”

“A cloth dragon on poles,” Dany explained. “Mummers use them in their follies, to give the heroes something to fight.

The crowd is cheering the killing of the dragon, the thing given to the hero to fight.

6 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

We don’t know yet. There’s a theory that she is since after she had sex with Qarl in ADWD she thinks about how she needs to find some moon tea, only to then be immediately captured by the northmen. 

man that infant would die in the winter and war... I hope she is not pregnant! 

Both Aurane Waters and Salladhor Saan are operating in the same regions. They definitively will be part of the story.  It wouldn't be a surprise that they are already in contact although their motivations are somewhat different. The Stepstones are also an strategic place to restrict the passage of navigation and to hear news from all over the world. So chances are that they have heard about Dany and her dragons, they are very aware of the problems of the Reach and they have learned about Aegon's invasion.

Both seems to look for financial gain in one way or another. Riches and lordship. But they might have other motives too. Will Aurane remember Velaryon's loyalty to the Targaryens? If yes, who will he support? Dany or Aegon? He could be already sailing towards Slaver's Bay and his gigantic ships will be helpful to bring troops to Westeros. 

However, I tend to suspect that Aurane will support Aegon. The reason is King's Landing is located in the northern bank of the Blackwater rush and as we saw with Stannis attempt to take the city, you need to cross the river and for that you will need ships.

21 hours ago, EggBlue said:

well, YG is in Stormsend and he will most likely need some warships to aid Redwyne fleet in the fight with the ironborn assaulting the Reach, if he wishes to win the favor of Reach lords.

Even if he wanted to help the Redwyne fleet, his warships wouldn't make it in time and he has other things to deal with.

If Aurane joins Aegon, he will most likely be involved in the upcoming Dance of Dragons 2.0 imho.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty sure that he'll join Aegon and help him take King's Landing and possibly fight Euron Greyjoy and his Iron Fleet later in TWOW. 

If not Aegon he'll join Daenerys, and be one of her toxic advisors like Tyrion and the Tattered Prince (even if he may stay in Essos, after gaining Pentos, rather than follow Dany to Westeros). 

In either's case it will be for a price, a naturalisation and a high position and riches.

Archived