How did non fantasy fans you knew reacted when "Game of Thrones" started to become mainstream?

NickGOT456

How did they react? How many of them ended getting around to checking out the show? How many of them still view the fantasy and/or sci fi genres as a "childish" thing? I heard back in the late 2000s and early 2010s most TV watchers were interested in only reality TV, police procedurals, and doctor soaps. Is that true or is it an exaggeration?

For those who went to college how did the most popular and athletic students react?

6 hours ago, NickGOT456 said:

I heard back in the late 2000s and early 2010s most TV watchers were interested in only reality TV

Extraordinary, 

who was telling you that?

I know the networks started pushing that crap because its way less expensive than using actual actors. But I don't think I've ever met anyone that actually prefers it to real TV. That would be a pretty sad thing if it were so.

I suspect people actually resorted to watching it only because the networks were offering so little other original programming or they didn't have HBO at all.

Because surely no-one would prefer "Keeping up with Kim" over The Wire or True Detectives? That would be "liking light beer" levels of insanity.

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

My guess is that individual is my kid’s age (20 something) and thinks it was a time right around when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth (Ie, still kind of like “Mad Men”).

Whenever I'm watching Mad Men and getting annoyed at the constant depiction of Don Draper's self-destructive alcoholism I can't help but think "you know what this needs?  Dinosaurs!"

The only fantasy book I ever read beside the ASOIAF books was one book from Narnia (altough I was twelve). Never before, never after. My lads and my entire social group were just so obsessed with GoT, however. We weren't nerds, we aren't either. I would say me and my friends are casual teenagers who love football, cars and drinking, think of women all the time, yet everyone loved Game of Thrones. I got so frustrated between S7 and S8 that I read the books as well, altough I'm alone with that. 

My point is, you didn't have to be a nerd or a fantasy fan to love Game of Thrones. Maybe geeks loved it in general, but otherwise it was pretty much everyone of my age. The people that didn't watch it mostly did not because it was too mainstream (that's the reason I wasn't watching it for a long time).

11 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Oh come on! Why is Forum Games known as some sort of a forum trash can?

I am here to defend its honour! :fencing:

Forum Games used to be the best subforum around here. Until it got almost abandoned by everyone and turned into a graveyard where you have to wait a week for a reply.

Archived