guess death

EggBlue

now that we've been waiting for winds for so long and all that Mr. Martin writes about is how bad jets and giants are, let's guess the terrible losses that will (maybe one day in our lifetime) fill the pages of winds of winter.....

I have 3 questions:

1) who do you think is likely to die? (+why?)

2) who do you hate to see die?

3) who do you wish to die?

My biggest fear is the story going ever more sideways with more characters and storylines added without enough foreword progress on all the existing ones. The easiest way to prevent this would be to have some characters die off. My first choice would be Euron Greyjoy. I don't need some bogeyman being added to the story.

ALREADY DEAD (Does Not Exclude Being Turned Into a Wight)

-- Cregan Stark Karstark; Tattered Prince; Samwell; Brienne, Jaime; Pod; Sir Hyle; Myrcella; Gregor Clegane.

STILL ALIVE (in the usual sense - that is, not wights):

-- Sandor Clegane; Frog Martell; Jon Snow.

WILL DIE IN WINDS:

-- Cersei; Tommen; Rosamund Lannister; Victarion; Ser Balon Swan; Barristan; Asha Greyjoy; Shireen Baratheon; Edric Storm; Jeyne Westerling; Aemon Steelsong; Stannis; Lord Frey.

WHO DO I HATE TO SEE DIE

-- Sansa Stark

WHO DO I WANT TO SEE DIE

-- Daario; Euron; Tyrion; Varys; Littlefinger; Ramsay; Bloodraven; Theon.  Plus anyone who has become a wight needs to be put down.

30 minutes ago, Mister Smikes said:

ALREADY DEAD (Does Not Exclude Being Turned Into a Wight)

-- Cregan Stark; Tattered Prince; Samwell; Brienne, Jaime; Pod; Sir Hyle; Myrcella; Gregor Clegane.

STILL ALIVE (in the usual sense - that is, not wights):

-- Sandor Clegane; Frog Martell; Jon Snow.

WILL DIE IN WINDS:

-- Cersei; Tommen; Rosamund Lannister; Victarion; Ser Balon Swan; Barristan; Asha Greyjoy; Shireen Baratheon; Edric Storm; Jeyne Westerling; Aemon Steelsong; Stannis; Lord Frey.

WHO DO I HATE TO SEE DIE

-- Sansa Stark

WHO DO I WANT TO SEE DIE

-- Daario; Euron; Tyrion; Varys; Littlefinger; Ramsay; Bloodraven; Theon.  Plus anyone who has become a wight needs to be put down.

Cregan Stark? I have to ask why a guy that died like 150 odd years ago makes your list.

1) Jon Connington, between the Greyscale and (f)Aegon seemingly on the verge of gaining more retainers, he doesn't seem to be long for life. Though that clock he's on could make him capable of some terrible things.

2) Jaime Lannister, though I get the feeling he isn't destined for a happy ending, I have a soft spot for redemption stories and but for the fact he fell in love with the worst woman ever, he's arguably one of the more heroic people in the series. A one handed knight jumping into a bear pit to save a lady in distress? Most of the terrible acts he's done stemmed from his love for Cersei. She's like a drug for him almost, he knows she's bad for him but he can't stay away. I hope when he burned that letter he's done and won't have a relapse so to say. 

3) Stoneheart. Never should've been a thing. Literal character assassination on an otherwise compelling character and adds nothing to the story. Kill it with fire please. Maybe Brienne and Jaime can have a power of love moment to prevail over this monstrosity. 

18 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

2) Jaime Lannister, though I get the feeling he isn't destined for a happy ending, I have a soft spot for redemption stories and but for the fact he fell in love with the worst woman ever, he's arguably one of the more heroic people in the series. A one handed knight jumping into a bear pit to save a lady in distress? Most of the terrible acts he's done stemmed from his love for Cersei. She's like a drug for him almost, he knows she's bad for him but he can't stay away. I hope when he burned that letter he's done and won't have a relapse so to say. 

I really do wonder about Jamie. If Brienne has brought him to LSH and he's got to fight to escape (I'm assuming here that he will not be killed or wighted) does that change him again? Does he feel betrayed by Brienne and if so, where does that drive him? And then what of his little brother Tyrion?  Are they done just like that, or will they meet again? To me dead at the end of LSH's noose seems too abrupt, Jamie's got a few family members to reconcile with one way or the other. My guess is that when he does die, it's wearing a black cloak. The operative word in that sentence is 'guess' though, so I am leaving that guess completely unsupported.

Jaime will be there to the last book. Theon will be as well. George loves to grill sinners. Ramsay is an exception because an unkillable Jon Wight will be looking for him. Walder will die of old age. Victarion, Barristan, Skahaz, and Penny are biting the dust. Jorah will make it to the last book. Sansa is a close call but she could die.  Nymeria the wolf from Frey’s hunters. 

7 minutes ago, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

Barristan will die of old age before dany returns invalidating the contract to take Pentos for tatters

When you write it like that... yeah, it's got to happen, doesn't it?

Also since Selmy was a POV of convenience Mr Martin may want to prune that branch before it grow into something big and unsightly. 

Barristan is likely to die, but would death from old age apply to a guy who is pretty much healthy? but it'll be really nice if we read about his last victory and then he goes to sleep feeling at peace and never wakes up.....

anyway for me it goes like this:

1) Jon Con , Jaimie (i don't know how though), Cersei , at least a stark or two ( probably Rickon at the end of the book and/or one of the sisters) , Margery and cousins, Barristan, Victarion,  Theon, Stannis, Shireen , poor Lannister kids, Walder and a bunch of Freys, Stoneheart, Lem (if he is not anyone important) , Roose and ramsay, Reed kids, Hodor

2) Shireen, Sansa ( and the rest of starks), (f)Aegon , fArya(she's been through enough) , JonCon (his life is just not fair!), Reeds

3) Walder Frey , Ramsay , Roose , Cersei and more importantly Euron:devil:

and finally I guess these characters will make it to the last book: Dany , Jon (with any crazy theory) , Bran and Tyrion

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

1) Jon Con , Jaimie (i don't know how though), Cersei , at least a stark or two ( probably Rickon at the end of the book and/or one of the sisters) , Margery and cousins, Barristan, Victarion,  Theon, Stannis, Shireen , poor Lannister kids, Walder and a bunch of Freys, Stoneheart, Lem (if he is not anyone important) , Roose and ramsay, Reed kids, Hod-or

I think Rickon too. his is a shaggy dog story.

even if Lem is Richard Lonmouth I still think he's gonna die. I do want him and stone heart to meet Jon beforehand though. no way that's not interesting. esieacily if Jon learns about R+L=J

7 hours ago, EggBlue said:

1) who do you think is likely to die? (+why?)

2) who do you hate to see die?

3) who do you wish to die?

1. Tommen, Myrcella, Victarion, maybe Barristan

2. I will NOT have Dany die under ANY circumstances, unless it's of old age. Tommen's cats. And Tommen

3. Cersei, fAegon, maybe Arianne, Euron, Victarion (I don't like rapist pirates, especially with dragonhorns), Varys (too dangerous), Littlefinger (he's a creep, needs to die), JonCon......

10 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Stoneheart. Never should've been a thing. Literal character assassination on an otherwise compelling character and adds nothing to the story. Kill it with fire please.

I strongly agree. Catelyn has possibly the most tragic story arc in the entire series, and it's written absolutely perfectly by Martin. It's so full of sadness and nostalgia and regret, and feels like one of the most intensely personal of all the PoVs. It's also one of the more unique PoVs for an epic fantasy series: a regular mother that hates war and only wants to go home with her children? That's sure as hell a lot more original than most PoVs. To see such a great character have her legacy - both in-universe and out-of-universe - be tarnished by the abomination that is Stoneheart is depressing. Introducing resurrection into the series was a terrible mistake, and Catelyn is the last character that should ever have been resurrected - her entire character arc is about the fear and sadness of death, this atrocious "twist" completely overshadows all of that intelligent thematic writing.

Archived