guess death

EggBlue

3 hours ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Introducing resurrection into the series was a terrible mistake

If so, it is a mistake he made in the prologue of Book 1.  Waymar Royce came back too.  And he wasn't the same.

UnCat is not Cat.  Lucy Westenra the Vampire was not Lucy Westenra the human being.  Little Gage was not the same after he was buried in a Pet Sematary.  In "The Monkey's Paw", it would not have been good if the resurrected son had reached the cottage door.  There is a long tradition in horror about the dread consequences of using dark magic to raise the dead, going back at least to 1847s "Wake Not the Dead," to the vampire scares of the late 1700s, and beyond.

17 hours ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

To see such a great character have her legacy - both in-universe and out-of-universe - be tarnished by the abomination that is Stoneheart is depressing. Introducing resurrection into the series was a terrible mistake, and Catelyn is the last character that should ever have been resurrected - her entire character arc is about the fear and sadness of death, this atrocious "twist" completely overshadows all of that intelligent thematic writing.

I agree with you in regards to the outstanding-ness and tragedy of Cat.

But I think there is room to appreciate the symbolism and potential of un-cat. she lost everything. that she came back from the dead isn't what made her deranged, it was her losses, her grief, and we see that immediately prior to her murder. that is what made her a monster, not her revival. her actions are not ruled by love for her family  anymore, but by death. her dying wasn't necessary for his character transformation, but serves more an outward aesthetic by the author to signify that the world of the living does not concern her anymore. what matter to her is the lingering will, the vengeance and hatred of the dead and it is death she covets now, not life.

What she will go on to do with bri and jamie will be very interesting I have no doubt (she has an interesting relationship with both), but what I am more in hope for is her finding some solace in the truth of Jons birth or some form of reconciliation, her other missing children being found to her (like the sansa/shadrich theory), or the continued life of her grandchildren (if Jane has a baby somehow amongst others). all could be very beautiful and painful scenes. I would want to read that at least.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:40 AM, Lord Lannister said:

3) Stoneheart. Never should've been a thing. Literal character assassination on an otherwise compelling character and adds nothing to the story. Kill it with fire please. Maybe Brienne and Jaime can have a power of love moment to prevail over this monstrosity. 

I see this opinion or something similar quite a bit. I think these judgments are very premature, we have seen very little of Lady Stoneheart and we don't know what her motivations or purpose is, nor just how much remains of Catelyn. Maybe wait and see what he does with her first. I suspect she is going to die in winds, but that her death will have a lot of meaning.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, Mister Smikes said:

ALREADY DEAD (Does Not Exclude Being Turned Into a Wight)

-- Cregan Stark Karstark; Tattered Prince; Samwell; Brienne, Jaime; Pod; Sir Hyle; Myrcella; Gregor Clegane.

STILL ALIVE (in the usual sense - that is, not wights):

-- Sandor Clegane; Frog Martell; Jon Snow.

WILL DIE IN WINDS:

-- Cersei; Tommen; Rosamund Lannister; Victarion; Ser Balon Swan; Barristan; Asha Greyjoy; Shireen Baratheon; Edric Storm; Jeyne Westerling; Aemon Steelsong; Stannis; Lord Frey.

WHO DO I HATE TO SEE DIE

-- Sansa Stark

WHO DO I WANT TO SEE DIE

-- Daario; Euron; Tyrion; Varys; Littlefinger; Ramsay; Bloodraven; Theon.  Plus anyone who has become a wight needs to be put down.

It does not look good for Jamie and Brienne, but personally I think she is either going to kill Jamie and Theros is going to bring them back, or Jamie will survive by convincing her that he has upheld his  vow. I think Ladystone heart will insist Jamie return her children to winterfell and that will complete his heroes arc. I hope he doesn't go back to Cersei because I've grown to like the character even though I hated him in the beginning of the series. 

I still think Arya kills lady stone heart. Everything must die business. I expect Arya will kill the Frays, Sansa will kill little finger. Cersei will obviously die, but not in Winds. Aegon will survive winds as well. Jon Con has to survive winds because he is realistically the only one who can tell jon about his father. I think this character is important as he can act as a bridge between Aegon and Jon. 

I think Mellisandre dies in Winds, I think Stannis dies in Winds, Barriston dies in Winds, I think Mellisandre dies revealing to Jon his true identity once Bran returns to tell him who his parents are. 

Not a winds of Winter death, but would like to see Jamie vow to protect Bran till the end of knight king. Would really bring his character full circle. 

1 hour ago, remiel6 said:

Jon Con has to survive winds because he is realistically the only one who can tell jon about his father. I think this character is important as he can act as a bridge between Aegon and Jon. 

I hope so , but I'm not so sure if that'll happen. He's got greyscale and that must mean something... my guess is he'll be alive till the very end of winds but not more, though his disease might cause some extremely irrational decisions on his part which in my own very tinfoil mind could shift Aegon from  half-a-boy to a man/real king.

2 hours ago, remiel6 said:

I think Ladystone heart will insist Jamie return her children to winterfell and that will complete his heroes arc.

I have a very hard time believing that Stoneheart would trust Jaime to fulfil another vow to her. She doesn't seem like the type to give second chances, or show even the slightest bit of mercy to those she considers her enemy. She's hanged Freys that had nothing to do with the Red Wedding, and only spared Brienne because she could be of use to her in fulfilling her ultimate vengeance. If Stoneheart gives Jaime another chance at saving her daughters, it'd feel very out-of-character from what we've seen of Stoneheart thus far, and feel far too contrived. 

Archived