The Wheel of Time TV Show 6: A Few Turns to A Beginning

fionwe1987

It's not just the Children of the Light. The Aes Sedai look pretty corny in those color-coded outfits. It's like they feel that the viewers woul be unable to tell them apart, which is kind of juvenile if that's what they think. I'm really hoping they don't YA the shit out of this story.

I've seen the MCM preview now. It's not the first 12 minutes, but it's several scenes from throughout the first episode combined together.

Spoiler

The first scene is Egwene's coming of age ceremony and entry to the Women's Circle. Entertainingly, they make a big deal of giving Egwene her first braid. Interestingly, Nynaeve identifies herself as "Wisdom of the Two Rivers" rather than of Emond's Field. Nynaeve then yeets Egwene into the river as we've seen, telling her to "trust the river." Egwene tries fighting it and almost gets swept under and then surrenders and allows the river to carry her to safety (metaphor alert).

The second scene is Moiraine and Lan arriving at the Winespring Inn as we've seen already. There's one extra dialogue exchange at the end between Perrin and Rand talking about the dangers of Aes Sedai, and if Moiraine and Lan are going to fight the false Dragon in the south, and Nynaeve interrupts to say she thinks they'll be safer when they leave.

We then get Moiraine and Lan studying the village from a nearby hill. Lan asks Moiraine if she knows who it is and she says no. Lan has already detected the presence of a Fade and dozens of Trollocs. We then cut to the big dance with all the villagers dancing in a circle. The guy Egwene is dancing with suddenly gets an axe in the back and the Trollocs attack. Nynaeve and Egwene try to save some of the wounded, lots of running around and general chaos. Perrin hides in the smithy with what appears to be his girlfriend. Mat takes cover in his house but his parents tell him they couldn't find the girls (presumably his sisters) so Mat runs out to look for them.

Then a cut to the al'Thor farm (I get the impression in the show the farm is near the village, not several hours away as in the book). Tam and Rand hear the disturbance but then a Trolloc (presumably Narg barges in). Rand and Tam are pretty shit-hot, Tam immediately engaging the Trolloc with farm implements and Rand grabbing a bow and shooting it. Rand then gets knocked across the room so Tam breaks out his heron-marked sword and wails on Narg like a mfer. He is eventually overpowered (having cut the Trolloc like five times) but Rand is able to stab the Trolloc through the chest from behind. Tam tells Rand immediately that it's a Trolloc and they need to leave.

In the final scene Rand angrily confronts Moiraine, saying it can't be coincidence the Trollocs attacked the same day that Moiraine and Lan arrived in town. Moiraine tells him that they're here for the same reason she is. She then tells them that twenty years ago an Aes Sedai saw the rebirth of the Dragon, and it's one of the four youngsters present (Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene) and they all need to leave with her. Mat says she's insane. Lan then warns them that a full Trolloc army is marching on the town and for the sake of the survival of their friends they have to go. This appears to be where Episode 1 ends, with Moiraine intoning the Wheel of Time litany (ncluding the wind rising in the Mountains of Mist) over Rand saying goodbye to Tam as the episode fades out.

Interestingly, contrary to the claims of someone who says they saw most of the season, Narg has no dialogue and Cenn Buie is identified by name, but he appears to die in the Trolloc attack.

The action scenes seem pretty good, the vibe is more LotR then I was expecting.

Hmm. So that's some big changes. Not sure how I feel about them. Watching it acted out might be different from seeing it. 

Spoiler

I guess I understand that they need to up the tension with the Aes Sedai right away, rather than start off with the boys trusting Moiraine and growing mistrustful over time. 

And it looks like they're going with the Egwene can be the Dragon thing. Sigh.

Yeah, apparently it was an MCM exclusive, but some of it is in the trailers we've already seen.

One clarification:

Spoiler

Interestingly, Moiraine says the Dragon is "one of you" whilst looking at Mat, Rand and Perrin, but Egwene is standing with the group and she then says "you're coming with me, the four of you." So it might be Aes Sedai speak to get Egwene to leave (since presumably Moiraine can sense her channelling potential) rather than implying Egwene could be the Dragon Reborn, as some others are having it.

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:

It's not just the Children of the Light. The Aes Sedai look pretty corny in those color-coded outfits. It's like they feel that the viewers woul be unable to tell them apart, which is kind of juvenile if that's what they think. I'm really hoping they don't YA the shit out of this story.

I've no problems with the colored costumes. Considering how important the Ajah actually are for the Aes Sedai it is kind of weird that they would not proudly show their colors to the world.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I've seen the MCM preview now. It's not the first 12 minutes, but it's several scenes from throughout the first episode combined together.

Hide contents

The first scene is Egwene's coming of age ceremony and entry to the Women's Circle. Entertainingly, they make a big deal of giving Egwene her first braid. Interestingly, Nynaeve identifies herself as "Wisdom of the Two Rivers" rather than of Emond's Field. Nynaeve then yeets Egwene into the river as we've seen, telling her to "trust the river." Egwene tries fighting it and almost gets swept under and then surrenders and allows the river to carry her to safety (metaphor alert).

The second scene is Moiraine and Lan arriving at the Winespring Inn as we've seen already. There's one extra dialogue exchange at the end between Perrin and Rand talking about the dangers of Aes Sedai, and if Moiraine and Lan are going to fight the false Dragon in the south, and Nynaeve interrupts to say she thinks they'll be safer when they leave.

We then get Moiraine and Lan studying the village from a nearby hill. Lan asks Moiraine if she knows who it is and she says no. Lan has already detected the presence of a Fade and dozens of Trollocs. We then cut to the big dance with all the villagers dancing in a circle. The guy Egwene is dancing with suddenly gets an axe in the back and the Trollocs attack. Nynaeve and Egwene try to save some of the wounded, lots of running around and general chaos. Perrin hides in the smithy with what appears to be his girlfriend. Mat takes cover in his house but his parents tell him they couldn't find the girls (presumably his sisters) so Mat runs out to look for them.

Then a cut to the al'Thor farm (I get the impression in the show the farm is near the village, not several hours away as in the book). Tam and Rand hear the disturbance but then a Trolloc (presumably Narg barges in). Rand and Tam are pretty shit-hot, Tam immediately engaging the Trolloc with farm implements and Rand grabbing a bow and shooting it. Rand then gets knocked across the room so Tam breaks out his heron-marked sword and wails on Narg like a mfer. He is eventually overpowered (having cut the Trolloc like five times) but Rand is able to stab the Trolloc through the chest from behind. Tam tells Rand immediately that it's a Trolloc and they need to leave.

In the final scene Rand angrily confronts Moiraine, saying it can't be coincidence the Trollocs attacked the same day that Moiraine and Lan arrived in town. Moiraine tells him that they're here for the same reason she is. She then tells them that twenty years ago an Aes Sedai saw the rebirth of the Dragon, and it's one of the four youngsters present (Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene) and they all need to leave with her. Mat says she's insane. Lan then warns them that a full Trolloc army is marching on the town and for the sake of the survival of their friends they have to go. This appears to be where Episode 1 ends, with Moiraine intoning the Wheel of Time litany (ncluding the wind rising in the Mountains of Mist) over Rand saying goodbye to Tam as the episode fades out.

Interestingly, contrary to the claims of someone who says they saw most of the season, Narg has no dialogue and Cenn Buie is identified by name, but he appears to die in the Trolloc attack.

The action scenes seem pretty good, the vibe is more LotR then I was expecting.

That sounds pretty interesting.

Thanks for that clarification. 

Spoiler

Still means Egwene doesn't leave voluntarily.

Egwene trusts the Aes Sedai largely because of Moiraine, who always shoots straight with her. There is some tension eventually, but her first mentor being someone reasonable and honest is a big part of why Egwene is so eager to be an Aes Sedai. 

Seems like they're setting up to change that majorly. Unless Moiraine bluntly tells Egwene she fooled her so she wouldn't stay back and die. 

Actually that can work. Maybe she says she can sense Egwene is important, if not ta'veren, still closely connected. She does say this in the books, later, so if she tells Egwene that directly, that can be a way to establish Egwene's greater trust of Moiraine compared to Rand. 

30 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't like the Dragon reveal. This instantly makes the Aes Sedai who's been searching for the DR less secretive. How has she survived for 20 years? Plus, does the show not explore the legends and people's beliefs?

Hmm.

Spoiler

I don't think that's an issue. Just because she's being honest with them doesn't mean she's been saying that to everyone she met for the past 20 years.

But it does put the boys on alert about channeling, and that doesn't work very well, I feel..though it may make them all deathly afraid of all the new abilities and dreams. That would add tension of a different kind. 

24 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

From what I understand, Adam isn't at the con and he has seen the footage.

Well, he may have gotten reports from someone he knows, I'd imagine?

4 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Hmm.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think that's an issue. Just because she's being honest with them doesn't mean she's been saying that to everyone she met for the past 20 years.

But it does put the boys on alert about channeling, and that doesn't work very well, I feel..though it may make them all deathly afraid of all the new abilities and dreams. That would add tension of a different kind. 

Well, he may have gotten reports from someone he knows, I'd imagine?

People at the event recorded the footage and have been leaking it online. Apparently earlier on the Amazon and convention staff were trying to be very strict with not allowing people in with cameras but so many people were doing it they seemed to give up. I won't post links but I imagine it'll be all over the place soon enough.

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

People at the event recorded the footage and have been leaking it online. Apparently earlier on the Amazon and convention staff were trying to be very strict with not allowing people in with cameras but so many people were doing it they seemed to give up. I won't post links but I imagine it'll be all over the place soon enough.

Oh great. That's good.

The Moiraine's Quest video seemed to have some cool visual flourishes. Wheels, Flame of Tar Valon in dark rock, Dragon's Fang with dead sheep, blood blending into a treeline... 

I'm wondering if that is trailer specific, or if they're trying to go for a lot of such visual symbolism. That would be a cool way to adapt the concept of the Pattern from the books that's very respectful of it, in some ways, but also fresh and appropriately to the medium. 

The video about Moiraine's quest reinforces the impression that she doesn't know whether the Dragon is male or female (or whatever other genders there are in the show) because she explicitly uses 'them' when referencing the Dragon Reborn.

That would assume that at least Egwene is a candidate, too.

18 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, apparently it was an MCM exclusive, but some of it is in the trailers we've already seen.

One clarification:

Reveal hidden contents

Interestingly, Moiraine says the Dragon is "one of you" whilst looking at Mat, Rand and Perrin, but Egwene is standing with the group and she then says "you're coming with me, the four of you." So it might be Aes Sedai speak to get Egwene to leave (since presumably Moiraine can sense her channelling potential) rather than implying Egwene could be the Dragon Reborn, as some others are having it.

That's what I thought/hoped.

Spoiler

It does seem to lesses Egwene's agency in this instance, though. Since I can't imagine Moiraine would think Egwene can channel saidin or otherwise would fit the prophecies of the dragon, she must know it's one of the boys and she implies otherwise (without lying) to get Egwene to leave without arguing (or leaving it entirely to chance that Egwene would follow of her own volition, as she did in the books).

I think that is the most likely explanation, and implying something that is not correct, while technically not speaking any lie, would be a top aes sedai moment.

The implication of some of the teasers that push Egwene as a candidate is misdirection and creation of hype ("girl power"), I hope.

I don't think this moment would imply that Moiraine tells any person she met that she is searching for the dragon reborn. She is certain he is standing there with her, she is merely uncertain who it is out of the three. And she doesn't have time to waste, with a Trolloc army on the move (as indeed happens in the books as well). Moiraine is more direct than in the books, but this is also done for the sake of the audience, I guess.

I'm reading on Reddit that 

Spoiler

They make quite a deal about braids, and kind of come up with a reason for Nynaeve go tug on it: she apparently tells Egwene to feel the braid when she feels lost, or something to that effect? 

That is a good call, I feel. It takes something that's an almost iconic tic of a major character and adds some depth to it.

1 hour ago, fionwe1987 said:

I'm reading on Reddit that 

Hide contents

They make quite a deal about braids, and kind of come up with a reason for Nynaeve go tug on it: she apparently tells Egwene to feel the braid when she feels lost, or something to that effect? 

That is a good call, I feel. It takes something that's an almost iconic tic of a major character and adds some depth to it.

Braid tugging confirmed. Books saved!

Archived