The Wheel of Time TV Show 6: A Few Turns to A Beginning

fionwe1987

7 minutes ago, The Mance said:

I'm waiting to hear that Bela is a named character with a rock solid contract for the actor. 

Bela is played by a horse named Archie, and he's apparently the gassiest of the mounts for the main characters.

The source of the "wind" at the start of each book has now clearly been confirmed, so I can't imagine Archie didn't get a great deal for providing the Winds of Time for the Dragon to ride on (side bonus, the Amyrlin rides em too)!

And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Some stellar casting there. 

In one Age, called the Third Age by some, a wind rose from a stable. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Across the green the wind  blew, leaving pinched faces and shriveled noses in its wake. The wind wafted past the black smithy, interrupting the steady clang of hammer on anvil. Unperturbed by the curses uttered by the large man, the wind continued into the nearby sheep pen, easily overcoming the stench of manure and muck.

Regarding the whole Egwene thing, Amazon have put some extra materials on the Wheel of Time show page, some bios of the characters and a few stills I think we've seen before, as well as a little timeline thingie, the final entry "On to the Two Rivers" says:

"Moiraine’s search for the Dragon Reborn led her to the quaint region of Two Rivers, where she had heard rumors of four young people who potentially matched the prophecy of the Dragon Reborn."

And they've been careful to keep the language gender neutral elsewhere, "Moiraine's Quest" says:

"The Aes Sedai Moiraine began her search for the next Dragon — an individual born on a foretold date, said to be the chosen one who is able to touch the source of the One Power, powerful enough to save the world from the Dark One, or destroy it once again."

Which just... the whole idea that was talked about way back when the show was announced about keeping the identity of the Dragon Reborn a mystery, honestly even then it seemed like a fairly dumb premise if they wanted to keep much consistency with the books what with Rand being the adopted kid who looks like no one else in his village - and yeah I know there are plenty of inattentive book readers who didn't notice the obvious chosen one but even so, this feels like cheap slight of hand for no real gain and then adding Egwene in to it too, what purpose does that even serve? It screws up a bunch of fundamental world building, creates plot holes, and removes a bunch of her agency in that she was the driven, adventurous one who wanted, chose to leave.

Edit: This leaves me feeling a little worried tbh, I just don't understand why when they've peddled out how much they're into the books and the lore and whatnot they'd make such a dumb change. Was this one of the 11K notes they got from the execs, to push Egwene more directly? Even if in doing so it totally contravenes so much that the world's built upon.

I really dislike this notion of the Dragon possibly being a woman. It makes no sense with the world and story set up in the books and, if it's truly part of the series and not a marketing misdirection, makes me nervous about the vision for the show. I've been very "wait and see" or even downright positive regarding most of the changes so far, but this one...well, I guess wait and see is all I can do.

17 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Regarding the whole Egwene thing, Amazon have put some extra materials on the Wheel of Time show page, some bios of the characters and a few stills I think we've seen before, as well as a little timeline thingie, the final entry "On to the Two Rivers" says:

"Moiraine’s search for the Dragon Reborn led her to the quaint region of Two Rivers, where she had heard rumors of four young people who potentially matched the prophecy of the Dragon Reborn."

And they've been careful to keep the language gender neutral elsewhere, "Moiraine's Quest" says:

"The Aes Sedai Moiraine began her search for the next Dragon — an individual born on a foretold date, said to be the chosen one who is able to touch the source of the One Power, powerful enough to save the world from the Dark One, or destroy it once again."

Which just... the whole idea that was talked about way back when the show was announced about keeping the identity of the Dragon Reborn a mystery, honestly even then it seemed like a fairly dumb premise if they wanted to keep much consistency with the books what with Rand being the adopted kid who looks like no one else in his village - and yeah I know there are plenty of inattentive book readers who didn't notice the obvious chosen one but even so, this feels like cheap slight of hand for no real gain and then adding Egwene in to it too, what purpose does that even serve? It screws up a bunch of fundamental world building, creates plot holes, and removes a bunch of her agency in that she was the driven, adventurous one who wanted, chose to leave.

Edit: This leaves me feeling a little worried tbh, I just don't understand why when they've peddled out how much they're into the books and the lore and whatnot they'd make such a dumb change. Was this one of the 11K notes they got from the execs, to push Egwene more directly? Even if in doing so it totally contravenes so much that the world's built upon.

I'm still hoping this is marketing material only, and not something they actually follow through with on the show.

The entire 4000 year history of the world makes zero sense if there's even a remote possibility for the Dragon to be born weilding saidar. It spoils Egwene's character for no reason except some early misdirection.

I honestly can't see how this even works. If Moiraine genuinely thinks Egwene is the Dragon, would she then start training her to channel and discuss becoming an Aes Sedai with her? If not, how will that drive a wedge between her and Rand as in the books?

Also, if Egwene is terrified of channeling, as she would be if she found out about it along with the chance she's the Dragon Reborn, why would she immediately be eager to learn, as in the books?

I'll honestly be pretty miffed if they do this. If the goal is to have souls not be gendered or something, there are much better ways to show that than this. Souls don't have to be gendered for the Prophesies to pretty clearly state the Dragon will be a man, who wields tainted saidin, and is thus the source of both fear and hope.

Count me in with the group that hopes Egwene being considered is just marketing and not actually a part of the show. It's one of those things that will be revealed how it's handled almost immediately, so I can wait.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt that this is just marketing material.

Marketing stuff needs to be based on something, right? And this isn't based on the source material.

I wish last weekend's clips would be made available. As stated in previous threads, I've had many concerns ever since the casting was announced. But every new piece of footage or information gets me more worried.

It's a minor thing, but the fact that Mat's mother and father are going to be turned into what seem to be deadbeat parents is a bit annoying because it's so unnecessary. Mat, Rand, and Perrin are sufficiently different personalities from one another that they don't need to mess around with any of the backgrounds of the three.

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:

Marketing stuff needs to be based on something, right?

Does it? I hear about marketing not knowing the material enough to doubt that. I mean, the fact that Moiraine is searching for the DR and Egwene ends up with that group is something it could totally be based off, just through a game of telephone.

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

It's a minor thing, but the fact that Mat's mother and father are going to be turned into what seem to be deadbeat parents is a bit annoying because it's so unnecessary. Mat, Rand, and Perrin are sufficiently different personalities from one another that they don't need to mess around with any of the backgrounds of the three.

Wait, what? Where was this mentioned? Are they going to ruin Abell Cauthon?

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Wait, what? Where was this mentioned? Are they going to ruin Abell Cauthon?

The same update on the Wheel of Time site on Amazon that seems to suggest the four kids are candidates to be the Dragon has this for Mat.

ETA: I think we're starting to get a sense of the kinds of changes Brandon Sanderson says he was less certain of/would not have made.

I don't know that I hate it. It would explain why Mat cuts ties easily with Emond's Field and makes him more sympathetic, whereas in the books it comes across as kind of cold how he just never looks back. Yeah, they did Abel dirty, but we can't have all the tertiary characters we love. 

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

I don't know that I hate it. It would explain why Mat cuts ties easily with Emond's Field and makes him more sympathetic, whereas in the books it comes across as kind of cold how he just never looks back. Yeah, they did Abel dirty, but we can't have all the tertiary characters we love. 

True, but at the same time a lot of what Mat knows comes from his dad: quarterstaff fighting, horse trading, bow hunting. 

Just now, Gertrude said:

it comes across as kind of cold how he just never looks back.

I never felt that way personally. He wanted a different life than what he had in the Two Rivers, perfectly understandable and not particularly cold, IMO. His sister Bodewhin is the same, and I recall three teens from the Emond's Field who are noted in TFoH or LoC as having taken off for adventure. 

Maybe his failure to get word to his family that he's all right is some minor mark against him, but it's not like he had much opportunity to do that. Emond's Field is isolated, after all, and he was getting caught up in all his ta'veren business.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

I never felt that way personally. He wanted a different life than what he had in the Two Rivers, perfectly understandable and not particularly cold, IMO. 

This is very much a subjective thing. In the fandom, Mat's eagerness to cut ties with the Two Rivers is usually completely ignored. Meanwhile, Egwene is a sociopath for having ambition and wanting to leave the Two Rivers.

It's very possible the show is going to make all of them reluctant to leave. Which would be a loss, in my opinion.

Maybe his failure to get word to his family that he's all right is some minor mark against him, but it's not like he had much opportunity to do that. Emond's Field is isolated, after all, and he was getting caught up in all his ta'veren business.

Egwene managed to send letters home. Also, Siuan literally asked Mat if he wanted to send a letter home, and personally pledged she'd see to it that it would reach his dad. I don't think Mat took her up on that offer. 

Archived