"The Others take him" Who are The Others?

Falcon2909

Robb was not impressed. "The Others take his eyes," he swore.

"The Others take your mild snows," Robert swore. "What will this place be like in winter? I shudder to think."

"The Others take my wife," Robert muttered sourly

"The Others take both of you," Ned muttered darkly. 

"The Others" is used as a swear term. But what do The Others refer to? Is it the white walkers?

45 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

"The Others" is used as a swear term. But what do The Others refer to? Is it the white walkers?

The others refer to the magical beings who we meet in the first prologue. Didn't you read the books thoroughly? Others is the term used for these magical beings. The term White walker is used very rarely

1 hour ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

The others refer to the magical beings who we meet in the first prologue. Didn't you read the books thoroughly? Others is the term used for these magical beings. The term White walker is used very rarely

Yes I know The Others in the prologue. I prefer the white walkers term instead

6 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Yes I know The Others in the prologue. I prefer the white walkers term instead

In the books the white walkers are zombies/wights/walking corpses. And they are called white walkers because all their blood gathers in their hands and legs, while the rest of their body becomes bloodless/pale/white. And the Others are the creatures that turn corpses into white walkers, or at least it seems that they are the source of "winter magic" that turn corpses into zombies.

38 minutes ago, Megorova said:

In the books the white walkers are zombies/wights/walking corpses. And they are called white walkers because all their blood gathers in their hands and legs, while the rest of their body becomes bloodless/pale/white. And the Others are the creatures that turn corpses into white walkers, or at least it seems that they are the source of "winter magic" that turn corpses into zombies.

Really?

I thought the White Walkers was a term used for the Others?

1 hour ago, BlackLightning said:

Really?

I thought the White Walkers was a term used for the Others?

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Stockholm_and_Archipelacon_Report

"George offered only one observation when a fan asked about why the white walkers are referred to as such, and not as the Others. George stated that it was early in the development process when they all agreed that Lost, having used the term for the mysterious island tribe, had sort of made it impossible to use that word without possible confusion and such." <- 2015.

So what GRRM said means originally the Others ≠ white walkers.

Though because of the others in the Lost TV-show GRRM himself started to use more often the term white walkers to reffer to the Others, instead of calling them the Others. But in the beginning the White Walkers were reanimated corpses and the Others were the Others.

And in the show they totally removed the Others from the picture and called them the White Walkers. But that's in the show. And in the books after 2003 (when Lost was in development).

Edit: There was one reference to white walkers in ASOS, which was published in 2000 before the Lost - "The horn blew thrice long, three long blasts means Others. The white walkers of the wood, the cold shadows, the monsters of the tales that made him squeak and tremble as a boy, riding their giant ice-spiders, hungry for blood . ."

So :dunno: it's kind of confusing whether the white walkers are also the Others, same as they are the corpses or ice wights. GRRM's terminology over the years was affected by the show and by other things. For example in his interviews he frequently talked about fire wights, though in the books this term was never used, not even once.

7 minutes ago, Megorova said:

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Stockholm_and_Archipelacon_Report

"George offered only one observation when a fan asked about why the white walkers are referred to as such, and not as the Others. George stated that it was early in the development process when they all agreed that Lost, having used the term for the mysterious island tribe, had sort of made it impossible to use that word without possible confusion and such." <- 2015.

So what GRRM said means originally the Others ≠ white walkers.

Though because of the others in the Lost TV-show GRRM himself started to use more often the term white walkers to reffer to the Others, instead of calling them the Others. But in the beginning the White Walkers were reanimated corpses and the Others were the Others.

In the World Book, it says:

Long before the coming of the First Men, all Westeros belonged to the Elder Races -- the children of the forest and the giants (and, some say, the Others, the terrifying "white walkers" of the Long Night).

4 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Long before the coming of the First Men, all Westeros belonged to the Elder Races - the children of the forest and the giants (and, some say, the Others, the terrifying "white walkers" of the Long Night).

It's written there thru coma, not thru hyphen.

So there are four kinds of beings, not three:

1. the children, 2. the giants, 3. the Others, 4. white walkers.

6 minutes ago, Megorova said:

It's written there thru coma, not thru hyphen.

So there are four kinds of beings, not three:

1. the children, 2. the giants, 3. the Others, 4. white walkers.

No, sorry. I think you're reading that wrong. The whole bit about the Others is set off in parentheses. It's, the Others, aka, the terrifying white walkers, not the Others and the terrifying white walkers. The first part of the sentence says the children and the giants, not the children, the giants.

And the Others are pale as milk -- all white, instead of just partially white.

But @Ran wrote the WB. Maybe he can provide some clarification.

The Others = white walkers is what the passage is saying. If we wanted to separate them into a fourth category, it would have been "the Others as well as the terrifying 'white walkers'..."

14 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

What? I'm confused explain it please

Ran is Elio Garcia, co-writer of the World Book or "The World of Ice and Fire"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elio_M._García_Jr._and_Linda_Antonsson

Elio and Linda are also founders of this site and AWOIAF-Wikia site.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

If I'm not mistaken this is Linda's thread

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/153070-small-questions-v-10106/

“Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods.”
“You mean the Others,” Bran said querulously.
“The Others,” Old Nan agreed.

Apparently a matter of personal preference.

13 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

I like the little threads that GRRM leaves in the legends. If a wildling lays with an Other, is the half-human child still an Other?

The wildlings were cruel men, she said, slavers and slayers and thieves. They consorted with giants and ghouls, stole girl children in the dead of night, and drank blood from polished horns. And their women lay with the Others in the Long Night to sire terrible half-human children.

If the Others are demons made of ice and snow as Stannis says here:

Melisandre smiled. "Necromancy animates these wights, yet they are still only dead flesh. Steel and fire will serve for them. The ones you call the Others are something more."

"Demons made of snow and ice and cold," said Stannis Baratheon. "The ancient enemy. The only enemy that matters." He considered Sam again. "I am told that you and this wildling girl passed beneath the Wall, through some magic gate."

who was Sam praying to before the WW showed up:

This was where the old gods ruled, the nameless gods of the trees and the wolves and the snows. "Mercy," he whispered then, to whatever might be listening, old gods or new, or demons too, "oh, mercy, mercy me, mercy me."

He prayed to the gods of the snows (or demons too) and a demon made of snow and ice showed up.

29 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Ran is Elio Garcia, co-writer of the World Book or "The World of Ice and Fire"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elio_M._García_Jr._and_Linda_Antonsson

Elio and Linda are also founders of this site and AWOIAF-Wikia site.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

If I'm not mistaken this is Linda's thread

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/153070-small-questions-v-10106/

What

Now that's intresting. I'm wondering if I keep writing posts like this maybe the author will let me write a few books in the universe

22 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Yes but the preferred term is others since many people wouldn't recognize the term white walker

Archived