Football: Make us dream, Paulo

Raja

32 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Conte's record in European competition is rather poor and is a black mark against him but his record in league play is damn good. He comes with baggage but is also among the best coaches in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if Conte gets Spurs into the top 4.

It is a good record for sure, but I suspect it just won't work out at Spurs, and part of me still thinks there are some questions to be asked of him. Like can he succeed if he isn't given the players he needs to fit his system? How quickly will his system get found out, see Chelsea in his second season? Were his wins partly due to doing well in poor or transition years for other teams (spurs came second that year he won with Chelsea and Juventus were bad last year)

Of course this is still acknowledging he does have a very good record with Juve and Bari etc.. but I've been seeing so many comments online treating him like the new messiah, like if you get him you win, and who else have we heard that about?

4 hours ago, baxus said:

Also, there's no doubt that much more money is available at Newcastle.

Sure, but it's Newcastle. At the current rate, taking over there means first getting the club out of relegation trouble, then next year maybe getting into Europe, all the while struggling to find top names willing to sign up for a club that might be rich but isn't yet established as a top team.

The smart managers want to take over at Newcastle in a year or two, not now.

ETA - Emery is a plausible candidate for Newcastle as they are now, a manager looking to re-establish a reputation.

It is entirely possible that Harry Kane has been in touch with Conte, and persuaded him to do all this, with the whole thing culminating in a Conte walkout just as he seems about to sign the contract. Saying, "Nah," and leaving the room, only for Kane to burst in Beadle-style, filming Levy's reaction for his TikTok.

All we can do is wait and see.

12 hours ago, mormont said:

Sure, but it's Newcastle. At the current rate, taking over there means first getting the club out of relegation trouble, then next year maybe getting into Europe, all the while struggling to find top names willing to sign up for a club that might be rich but isn't yet established as a top team.

No denying any of that, but Newcastle still seems to me a better option than Spurs. Whoever takes over now has two months until January to provide that new manager bounce and see what can be done immediately and what needs to be bought in January in order for Newcastle to stay up. I might be wrong, but that does not seem that big of a task for a good manager. After that, he could go wild in the summer and bring in some great players. Mancini did something like that in City and that worked out pretty well for both him and the club.

On the other hand, Spurs have had a revolving door for their managers, seem to have no plan and chairman is infamously tight when it comes to transfer funds. Doesn't seem that appealing, does it?

15 hours ago, mormont said:

ETA - Emery is a plausible candidate for Newcastle as they are now, a manager looking to re-establish a reputation.

Especially as his version of English is pretty close to what the natives already speak on Tyneside. :P

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Conte going to them means they gonna be good again. This is not good.

It's not done yet. Bear in mind that Spurs were briefing yesterday that they hoped the deal would be completed in time for Conte to take training today.

I'm still not convinced this is going to happen.

And even if it does, it will not solve the problem of Harry Kane. His situation is a massive complication. He hasn't been playing at all this season, just wandering around the pitch like little boy lost.

So what exactly is the plan here? Sell him in January and give all proceeds to Conte? Try and convince Kane that now Conte is in place, he should stay and possibly win things?

Well, Conte is only getting an eighteen month deal. Can Spurs do anything meaningful in that time, with the squad they have? I doubt it.

The spurs squad does have a good spine, and you can see how that would work in a Conte style 532 or 343. Spurs have done good business over the summer. Outside of a backup for Kane and maybe a better central midfield I think they could be set up for success!

Its actually more interesting to wonder who Nuno didn’t really manage to make it work, like why play that 433 / 4231 that even he didn’t know how set up, why play that crappy midfield two that involved skipp. So many things you could point at Nuno that he just didn’t get right. Conte wouldn’t have too hard a time improving things. 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The spurs squad does have a good spine, and you can see how that would work in a Conte style 532 or 343. Spurs have done good business over the summer. Outside of a backup for Kane and maybe a better central midfield I think they could be set up for success!

Its actually more interesting to wonder who Nuno didn’t really manage to make it work, like why play that 433 / 4231 that even he didn’t know how set up, why play that crappy midfield two that involved skipp. So many things you could point at Nuno that he just didn’t get right. Conte wouldn’t have too hard a time improving things. 

According to The Times he spoke Portuguese on the training ground and barely spoke to players one-on-one.

20 minutes ago, Darryk said:

According to The Times he spoke Portuguese on the training ground and barely spoke to players one-on-one.

Yeah I read even at Wolves he barely communicated with players and relied on assistants and coaching staff for that sort of thing. Part of the problem at spurs was his regular assistant didn’t join.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

So what exactly is the plan here? Sell him in January and give all proceeds to Conte? Try and convince Kane that now Conte is in place, he should stay and possibly win things?

That brings up another interesting topic - how much can they actually get for Kane now? Surely, nowhere near 100+ million they were asking for in the summer.

Archived