Football: Make us dream, Paulo

Raja

16 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Spurs may end up just refusing to deal with them at all.

Well, that's exactly what Levy did last summer. And look how that worked out for him.

My Spurs supporting mate, who refused to even countenance the fact that Kane might want to leave last summer, now wants him gone. His position hasn't changed today.

Historically, this kind of situation has rarely ended well for the selling club.

He may well leave at some point, but it seems extremely unlikely that will happen before summer at the earliest. Conte surely will have made that one of his conditions.

And we all know how football fans are - if Kane does his usual trick of picking up form after a slow start, the supporters will quickly be back on his side.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

He may well leave at some point, but it seems extremely unlikely that will happen before summer at the earliest. Conte surely will have made that one of his conditions.

Perhaps. But I think there is also the possibility that Conte told Levy he wants Kane sold and 100% of the proceeds reinvested in the squad.

A whole bunch of funeral directors in the Seven Sisters area are rubbing their hands this afternoon. I can think of at least five who are dead men walking.

I'm quite stunned to be honest, dunno how a manager of Conte's level ends up at a shambles like Tottenham , after we got turned down by him, Brendan Rogers and Graham Potter in the off-season (and again by Graham Potter after the NLD, reportedly).

Fabio Paratici is obviously the key factor here, he worked with Conte at Juventus.

As we saw with Mourinho, if there's one club where a manager like Conte can still fail, it would be Tottenham. It's gonna come down to whether Levy adequately backs the Paratici-Conte partnership and gives them the freedom to do their thing.

With their stadium to pay for, Spurs simpy do not have the operating budget to be spending big right now. So the only way Project Conte succeeds is if Joe Lewis puts his hand in his pocket.

Unless he does that, Spurs fans had better prepare themselves for a brief, tempestuous dalliance with Conte, followed by a decade of signing the 2020s equivalents of Marouanne Chamakh and Sebastian fucking Squillaci. 

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

As we saw with Mourinho, if there's one club where a manager like Conte can still fail,

I agree with those saying there are some concerns about Conte as a personality and how long-term he can be, but Mourinho has been failing quicker and more spectacularly with every job he's taken for like a decade. He's not in Conte's league as an organiser anymore, Spurs was just the latest trip down the staircase.

I'm surprised he didn't go to Newcastle but fuck, maybe he has some kind of conscience?

Just now, polishgenius said:

I'm surprised he didn't go to Newcastle but fuck, maybe he has some kind of conscience?

Mou? Last week he was claiming affinity with the club because he once worked as Bobby Robson's translator (whilst reaffirming his commitment to Roma).

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I meant Conte. Mourinho's got an ego where his heart should be.

Ah, okay. I suspect Conte (and all the other elite coaches) would much prefer to be the next but one manager on Tyneside. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

The takeover wasn't completed, and the way this saga dragged on, Mourinho might be forgiven for thinking it might not materialize. Ah, I see what meant Conte. No, I think mormont is on the money (no pun intended) there. They are not anywhere near the point, where Conte would be applying the final touch. Maybe 3 years or so.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I meant Conte. Mourinho's got an ego where his heart should be.

Talking about hearts, Aguero out with heart problems for 3 months.

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Rashford and Ronaldo up front this time in the 3-5-2. Pogba in for Fred, which obviously makes sense. But I wish Ronaldo wasn't undroppable, even if this formation suits him way better than being alone up top.

So Solskjaer now trying to emulate Tuchel or Conte instead of Ferguson?

18 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

They won't be selling Kane for now. And 10 crap games haven't suddenly made him worthless, especially when there are still very few good strikers on the market.

I expect he'll perk up under Conte. Having a manager with a proven track record should be motivation enough for the time being.

You are aware that there's a whole spectrum between "worthless" and "100+M", aren't you?

Also, it's not 10 crap games, it's 10 crap LEAGUE games SO FAR. There's bound to be a period of adjustment to the new manager, new system etc. Or do you expect Kane to just flip the switch and return to beast mode?

6 minutes ago, baxus said:

You are aware that there's a whole spectrum between "worthless" and "100+M", aren't you?

Also, it's not 10 crap games, it's 10 crap LEAGUE games SO FAR. There's bound to be a period of adjustment to the new manager, new system etc. Or do you expect Kane to just flip the switch and return to beast mode?

He was considered being worth way more than £100m by Spurs though.

And he's returned to form after a bad run before. He's been dodgy for 3 months, not 3 years.

Spurs can consider him worthy 100 billion, that doesn't mean it's true.

And he's been dodgy for 3 months but those 3 months happened after club refusing to sell him, after he's had the best season of his life with both club and country. Sure, there's an option of him being tired and needing a break, but there's also an option of him being toxic which would definitely reduce his price.

13 minutes ago, baxus said:

And he's been dodgy for 3 months but those 3 months happened after club refusing to sell him, after he's had the best season of his life with both club and country. Sure, there's an option of him being tired and needing a break, but there's also an option of him being toxic which would definitely reduce his price.

It’s more than 3 months he’s been dodgy. Even during ‘the best season of his life’ that really was centred around a purple patch at the beginning of the year when him and Son were on fire. And did he have a good Euros? I was screaming at him to actually do something and get involved in games for 80% of the time and he was anonymous in the final.

Ive no idea what is up with Kane , but any prospective buyer has to be aware that he isn’t always worth 100m plus he’s got a habit of getting injured 

22 minutes ago, baxus said:

Sure, but given that he has 4 years left on his contract, Spurs do get to set the price. Do you think Levy is going to knock 50% off because he's had a bad couple of months? Because I really don't.

You can dream up scenarios of him becoming a toxic presence in the changing room, but I'd be very surprised if that happened. All we know is he's out of form, and not for the first time, so we can't really be sure of the why now.

I'm not defending Kane here, he's been utterly pants for a while now, but I just don't see Spurs rolling over and selling him on the cheap, or Conte wanting him gone without first giving him every opportunity to sort himself out.

Spurs really need to take stock of how much Harry Kane, as he is now, is worth to them and we can all agree that he's nowhere near 100M.

I'm not saying he's in 50M range. Saying that would be just as insane as saying he's still in 100M range.

Obviously, if this is a slump in the form, and he snaps out of it and pulls Spurs up the table then he might get back into that top pricing range. Let's see if that happens.

44 minutes ago, baxus said:

we can all agree that he's nowhere near 100M

Only in the sense that no footballer is worth that money. In the current market for elite players, though, we clearly don't all agree with this.

Archived